Sign in to follow this  
kmoore1521

Kyler Murray OF OAK

Kyler Murray's agent Scott Boras confirmed Thursday that his client will play baseball next season.

wow would get more guaranteed $$ if he went the NFL route especially if he wins the Heisman but hey go baseball! woot haha

Yeah more money right away on his 1st contract but there is more long term money in baseball and he doesn't  have to worry about getting smashed by 250-300 pound muscle men. In the NFL you're always one hit away from being finished. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2018 at 4:57 PM, Cdub2k said:

Yeah more money right away on his 1st contract but there is more long term money in baseball and he doesn't  have to worry about getting smashed by 250-300 pound muscle men. In the NFL you're always one hit away from being finished. 

The odds of making an MLB roster are pretty long  even for first rounders, and getting the big paycheck even farther out. Hes probably gonna take 3 years in the minors, plus 6 years of team control after that. Sure, if hes Mookie Betts he starts making big money fairly quickly, if not...

If he is a first or second rounder projected I see him going to the NFL. The bonus money will be about as big if hes late first (look at what Lamar Jackson got) and the salary coming right away is a world apart. If hes even an average QB hell make a ton on his first post draft contract too. Theres more health risk for sure, but the money comes sooner and for QB its just as big as in baseball, that and its never been safer to be a QB in the NFL , with more receptive coaching to spread concepts. The money isnt guaranteed for the QB of course, but we are seeing a ton of guaranteed money to the QBs now.

The only comp is really Charlie Ward, but the difference there is that Ward was a first round NBA pick and made that money right away. Itll be interesting to see how this works out. Him saying post semi final game that he was undecided on the NFL vs MLB really clouds the picture for as much as the agent has been saying its a done deal. In the end,   Ive got a hard time seeing him playing in Cedar rapids or somewhere like that for beans next year.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 8:45 AM, dzemens said:

The odds of making an MLB roster are pretty long  even for first rounders, and getting the big paycheck even farther out. Hes probably gonna take 3 years in the minors, plus 6 years of team control after that. Sure, if hes Mookie Betts he starts making big money fairly quickly, if not...

If he is a first or second rounder projected I see him going to the NFL. The bonus money will be about as big if hes late first (look at what Lamar Jackson got) and the salary coming right away is a world apart. If hes even an average QB hell make a ton on his first post draft contract too. Theres more health risk for sure, but the money comes sooner and for QB its just as big as in baseball, that and its never been safer to be a QB in the NFL , with more receptive coaching to spread concepts. The money isnt guaranteed for the QB of course, but we are seeing a ton of guaranteed money to the QBs now.

The only comp is really Charlie Ward, but the difference there is that Ward was a first round NBA pick and made that money right away. Itll be interesting to see how this works out. Him saying post semi final game that he was undecided on the NFL vs MLB really clouds the picture for as much as the agent has been saying its a done deal. In the end,   Ive got a hard time seeing him playing in Cedar rapids or somewhere like that for beans next year.

He was given a choice, sign with the A's and receive his bonus or play football.  A's wouldn't sign him and allow him to play football as well.  Since he signed and received his bonus he would have to FULLY pay it back in order to go back on that.  Never saw that happening.  Most MLB teams won't allow a split sports player anymore.  Just too much out there in injuries nowadays to further risk a top investment.

23 hours ago, daynlokki said:

He was given a choice, sign with the A's and receive his bonus or play football.  A's wouldn't sign him and allow him to play football as well.  Since he signed and received his bonus he would have to FULLY pay it back in order to go back on that.  Never saw that happening.  Most MLB teams won't allow a split sports player anymore.  Just too much out there in injuries nowadays to further risk a top investment.

I dont think theres any chance he plays both. I think if hes a top 2 round pick, for reasons above, he ends up football only. Two things re: the bonus, the majority of it probably still sits unspent, and no agent would balk at fronting him the balance to get him to the NFL contract if thats what he chose to do. 

27 minutes ago, dzemens said:

I dont think theres any chance he plays both. I think if hes a top 2 round pick, for reasons above, he ends up football only. Two things re: the bonus, the majority of it probably still sits unspent, and no agent would balk at fronting him the balance to get him to the NFL contract if thats what he chose to do. 

He's not even NFL draft eligible.  He never declared.  Agents also are not allowed to give clients money.  It's against the CBA for baseball and would amount to a breach by the agent, losing them their licenses.  He'd have to pay back the 5m bonus to the A's and not play baseball then because his contract with them would be null and void.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

He's not even NFL draft eligible.  He never declared.  Agents also are not allowed to give clients money.  It's against the CBA for baseball and would amount to a breach by the agent, losing them their licenses.  He'd have to pay back the 5m bonus to the A's and not play baseball then because his contract with them would be null and void.

The window to declare isnt shut yet hes got 5 days...theres still a lot of time before everythings clear. My whole premise is a hypothetical of course, its dependent on an if, that if being if hes given a top 2 round grade. I dont even know how likely that is, but if it were the money is more readily available earlier in the NFL as opposed to MLB where there is a laborious track to even crack a 25 man roster. 

4 minutes ago, dzemens said:

The window to declare isnt shut yet hes got 5 days...theres still a lot of time before everythings clear. My whole premise is a hypothetical of course, its dependent on an if, that if being if hes given a top 2 round grade. I dont even know how likely that is, but if it were the money is more readily available earlier in the NFL as opposed to MLB where there is a laborious track to even crack a 25 man roster. 

It is, but it's also only guaranteed for injury.  Meaning he'd have to give up baseball as no team will allow him to do both, then pay back his signing bonus.  After that, he'd have to declare and actually be picked that early (big if even with the grade with his size).  Yes, he would get a bonus, but last year the TOP 2nd round pick received a TOTAL of 7.5m over 4 years.  If he is on the board past pick 53, he'd actually lose money going to the NFL.

19 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

It is, but it's also only guaranteed for injury.  Meaning he'd have to give up baseball as no team will allow him to do both, then pay back his signing bonus.  After that, he'd have to declare and actually be picked that early (big if even with the grade with his size).  Yes, he would get a bonus, but last year the TOP 2nd round pick received a TOTAL of 7.5m over 4 years.  If he is on the board past pick 53, he'd actually lose money going to the NFL.

The bonus for first round guys in baseball is great but after that they make nothing, its a factor now that they have the slotting system. Especially when I look at a guy like Lamar Jackson going at the last pick in the 1st and matching the bonus for murray.  Granted hes much bigger, but he was also a much worse passer when viewed in an NFL lens. But thats getting awful footbally here!

100% hed be giving up on baseball, theres no way to do both anymore, especially at QB. Ill be curious to see how it plays out though as the time has never been better in the NFL as far as spread QB coming in, based on the rules and the coaching concepts now, and the crazy money that even avg QBs make. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dzemens said:

Except for the salary that kicks in immediately. The bonus for first round guys in baseball is great but after that they make nothing, its a factor now that they have the slotting system. 

100% hed be giving up on baseball, theres no way to do both anymore, especially at QB. Ill be curious to see how it plays out though as the time has never been better in the NFL as far as spread QB coming in, based on the rules and the coaching concepts now, and the crazy money that even avg QBs make. 

That is the salary that kicks in automatically, pick 53 with bonus and salary makes under what he made just in bonus from the A's.  That's over 4 years, not all at once.  If Murray can make the show before those 4 years are up in baseball he would easily outpace what he makes in football.  Doubt he could play QB at like 5'9" as well.

It's not an exact science trying to compare here...both in terms of dollars and sense

But he is much more of a project in baseball terms and sure that upfront bonus is awfully nice but IF teams feel like he can hack it in the NFL at his size, then he'd be kinda nuts to ride around on buses for years and years. It'd actually be wonderful for him if he was a 2nd Rd NFL pick and this baseball deal held him back from being a 1st. He'd then avoid that 5th yr team option and IF he was performing as a top 15-20 type of QB he's looking at 20MM/year. There is bigger money --even as a middle tier-- starting NFL QB for him. Esp with the 6-7 years he's gonna have to wait to get that bigger payday--and that's with the long odds he even pans out.

34 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It's not an exact science trying to compare here...both in terms of dollars and sense

But he is much more of a project in baseball terms and sure that upfront bonus is awfully nice but IF teams feel like he can hack it in the NFL at his size, then he'd be kinda nuts to ride around on buses for years and years. It'd actually be wonderful for him if he was a 2nd Rd NFL pick and this baseball deal held him back from being a 1st. He'd then avoid that 5th yr team option and IF he was performing as a top 15-20 type of QB he's looking at 20MM/year. There is bigger money --even as a middle tier-- starting NFL QB for him. Esp with the 6-7 years he's gonna have to wait to get that bigger payday--and that's with the long odds he even pans out.

That is true although he is 2 inches shorter than any other starting NFL QB.  That kills his prospect status.  Money for money nobody will ever say there is more money in the NFL.  There just isn't overall.  Yes, he may get a 20m/year commitment, but usually less than HALF is guaranteed and most guys don't make it past their rookie deal as QBs in the NFL.  He doesn't project as a starter and projecting to at best a 2nd round grade in a draft that is light at QB doesn't show he will even have a chance at that second deal.  For risk compared to reward he has a MUCH better chance at success in the MLB with the 8th overall pick designation.  He already banked 5m.  He DOES get paid in the minors, although that is dependent on team.  Some teams pay 1st round picks in excess of 100k a year.  Usually college bats move through systems faster as well meaning he could easily be in the MLB by the time his rookie contract would be up for the NFL.  Fact is, he can't do both, and if he signs then backs out of the contract he will still be property of the A's, albeit without a signing bonus at that point.  He would NOT go back into the draft as he has already signed and is no longer eligible.  

@dzemens

Gotta give it to ya, Kyler just declared and I didn't even think that was a possibility.  It will definitely effect where he goes in the draft though.  Teams will have to overdraft him to get him and they will know he already backed out of one contract.   

9 hours ago, daynlokki said:

@dzemens

Gotta give it to ya, Kyler just declared and I didn't even think that was a possibility.  It will definitely effect where he goes in the draft though.  Teams will have to overdraft him to get him and they will know he already backed out of one contract.   

The reality is if he is going to do this, as it appears he is, there are no half measures. Id say its about 100% certain he will not be in spring training with the A's as he will be prepping for the draft, taking part in the combine and doing other workouts for teams. At that point, when he has to skip out of spring training Id imagine the Bonus money will be going back (was looking at an article yesterday, cant recall where, that implied he hadnt even taken possession of it yet) and the A's will just retain his rights if he wants to come back at some point. The fact that he likes football more is the big factor here, but I cant help but think that the changing economics over the last 2 years or so have made a big impact as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dzemens said:

The reality is if he is going to do this, as it appears he is, there are no half measures. Id say its about 100% certain he will not be in spring training with the A's as he will be prepping for the draft, taking part in the combine and doing other workouts for teams. At that point, when he has to skip out of spring training Id imagine the Bonus money will be going back (was looking at an article yesterday, cant recall where, that implied he hadnt even taken possession of it yet) and the A's will just retain his rights if he wants to come back at some point. The fact that he likes football more is the big factor here, but I cant help but think that the changing economics over the last 2 years or so have made a big impact as well.  

Still a big chance.  Like I said if he is drafted anywhere after pick 53 he loses money over the next 4 years at least.

It would also SUCK for A's fan.  Because he signed, THEN walked away from the deal, they just lost a 1st round  pick.  No compensation.

Reports now are that mlb could waive the rule that prevents teams from giving MLB contracts to recently drafted players, if they come to agreement. That would be a huge win for Murray. If money is the driving force.

The A's and MLB putting on the full court press today, Oakland sending their big guns and MLB sending marketing reps etc. If the money is the driver and he can get a guaranteed MLB deal from day one then it's a huge win. Seems that rule couldn't be waived as a one off though.

14 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

I find myself in agreement with Deadspin's take here.

Tell Me Again Why Kyler Murray Would Ever Want To Play Baseball?

Ya I get that but it's all dependent on a 5'9" QB who weighs less than 200 lbs going in the first round.  That's a bit of a stretch IMO.  If he drops into the 2nd teams might not even take him because over the 4 year life of the contract, including bonuses, he would be paid less than JUST his bonus with the A's.  Ya, he might not make much in the minors, but will probably be up within 3 years and even the minimum would put how much he is being paid in the MLB even higher.  I just can't see him going in the first.

15 hours ago, dzemens said:

Reports now are that mlb could waive the rule that prevents teams from giving MLB contracts to recently drafted players, if they come to agreement. That would be a huge win for Murray. If money is the driving force.

The A's and MLB putting on the full court press today, Oakland sending their big guns and MLB sending marketing reps etc. If the money is the driver and he can get a guaranteed MLB deal from day one then it's a huge win. Seems that rule couldn't be waived as a one off though.

Supposedly, they aren't circumventing the rules.  They would put him on the 40 man right off the bat.

It's a good thing this is all happening, It's a bad look for MLB and hopefully this helps change things in terms of financially compensation draftees/minor league players.

I imagine with legalized betting and all sorts of things that go with that, there's more money to be made on minor league affiliates now and in the future too. 

35 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

It's a good thing this is all happening, It's a bad look for MLB and hopefully this helps change things in terms of financially compensation draftees/minor league players.

I imagine with legalized betting and all sorts of things that go with that, there's more money to be made on minor league affiliates now and in the future too. 

There was talk a few years ago about expanding the MLBPA to the minors as well.  I think that needs to be done before owners will pay a more fair wage to minor leaguers.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports NFL scouts he's spoken to grade Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray as a second- or third-round pick.

RapSheet also made it clear that Murray's decision to submit his name as a 2019 draft prospect does not necessarily mean he will play in the NFL. Murray's agent, Scott Boras, has told the Oakland Athletics his client will report to spring training on time in April. At just 5-foot-9, Murray has been bantered about as a potential top-ten pick. A day-two draft selection seems more likely considering his size and questionable-at-best dedication to football as his primary sport.

I haven't scouted Murray much, had no idea he was only 5'9". That's very small for a qb from what I know about football. 

41 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I haven't scouted Murray much, had no idea he was only 5'9". That's very small for a qb from what I know about football. 

He would be a full 2 inches shorter than any other starting QB in football.  Wilson is 5'11" and fell to the 3rd round specifically because he was short.