AnonymousRob

Walker Buehler 2019 Outlook

9 hours ago, B&F said:

I would not start him the first month.

So I guy I take in round 4 is now a fringe starter?

I am moving this guy, his shoulder if gonna fall off sooner rather than later

1 hour ago, rotoguy74 said:

So I guy I take in round 4 is now a fringe starter?

I am moving this guy, his shoulder if gonna fall off sooner rather than later

I wouldn't overreact to this start. Others have mentioned that he has an understandable amount of rust, and I wouldn't even treat that as an indictment of Roberts/the Dodgers' FO. Babying a pitcher who you may need to go deep into October play is inconvenient for fantasy but probably smart for real baseball at this point in the season.

Whether he was overpriced on draft day has probably been hashed out earlier in this thread, but he's not a fringe starter. Everyone who drafted him (*raises hand*) knew that he was coming into the season with essentially no ST and with a playoff premium and we drafted him anyway. Short of injury this guy will give you 20+ must-start uh... starts. Buehler isn't inured by any accounts, and his velocity is normal. He had a bad start, like every other pitcher - ask the guy who drafted Sale.

• Like 2

Should be interesting to see what Buehler does tonight.  Normally I would pitch him without a second thought, even if Coors, but he was clearly not ready for the season yet in his first start on Sunday.

He was awful in his first start in Coors last season, but one can chalk that up to nerves, as he was good there the second time he pitched.  I will be watching some of the start at least regardless of whether I pitch him, but I really wish they didn't baby him in Spring Training.

He was 96-98 MPH with a good hook and slider. Pulled at 78 pitches 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

He was 96-98 MPH with a good hook and slider. Pulled at 78 pitches 

Wouldn't exactly say that.  You are right about the velocity, but he still didn't have consistent breaking stuff.  He was statistically good, but like Orel said during the game, he was effectively wild.

Hard to complain about the results, especially after his first game, but he's still building himself back up since he hardly got to pitch in the Spring.  His control is still inconsistent, but yesterday was still progress in a sense.  Obviously not knocking Buehler, but he still has a little ways to go to where he was last year.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 3

Buehler is fine. He just has to hurdle some obstacles on his way to reaching his full potential. He'll get there.

Buehler owners, are you selling? What kind of return would you take for him right now?

Not selling.  Was really sheltered during Spring Training and seems to be working out some kinks.  Velocity looks fine from what I can see.  Would probably bump him down a few spots from where I had him preseason but still think he will produce fringe ace results.

50 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

Buehler owners, are you selling? What kind of return would you take for him right now?

Not selling, but seriously thinking about sitting him down until May or so. Dude is single handedly killing my ERA right now. Time to park him until he gets a few more starts under his belt. 

• Like 1

Not selling and not benching. From here on out he is money. 

2 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Cant really sell, too much invested at this point, I own shares in 3 of 4 leagues and it was not cheap in any of them.  If I owned him as a cheap keeper and were being offered a more consistent frontline veteran I might think about it.  But its a long season, saw a lot of rough starts last year from guys who went on to have great seasons so just need to stay the course at this point.  

3 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Wayyy too soon to even think about this.

3 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Not really, unless I would get his preseason ranking value back for him.  I'm not going to discount him one bit just because the Dodgers have no idea how to handle him now for two years in a row (last year when he had the rib injury and they brought him in to pitch in relief rather than a rehab assignment).

No way I'm selling. He's one of the most talented young pitchers in the game. I'm not going to panic after a few bad starts. Not to mention the fact that right now you probably won't get good value for him in redraft leagues.

Basically going through S.T. still. He will be fine.

His slider is not even close to the plate, It will be a long season for him if he can only throw the fastball for a strike, even a blind guy wouldn't swing at his breaking pitches right now they aren't even close

Not an owner so unbiased.  I would not panic.  As others have said it is Spring Training for him.  

18 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

by low watch film on this ace

Top 3 SP 

I feel like that window closed with this start. 

• Like 2

Yea he looked good yesterday no doubt.  Fastball consistently 97 touching 99 at times with good control.  Slider was dirty.  Hope it continues, kid is fun to watch.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:31 PM, Del Rio said:

Was just offered Luis Castillo for him straight up...I'm pretty sure I'm holding though.  I'm awful at speculation but I do believe in the young man.

3 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

Was just offered Luis Castillo for him straight up...I'm pretty sure I'm holding though.  I'm awful at speculation but I do believe in the young man.

I love Castillo... don’t even think about that s--- tho. Buehler shouldn’t be sold. You’d have to give me... Cole? Dudes super legit just didn’t have spring training and is coming along slower than many. Last start he was electric. I think his fastball could be the best in baseball for the next several years .

• Like 4