Flyman75

Khris Davis 2019 Outlook

What is their hold up with putting him on the IL? He clearly hasn't been healthy for the past 2 weeks, and suffers a possible oblique injury on top of that (probably the result of playing through the original injury).  Any updates?

On 4/11/2019 at 6:16 PM, Dislimb said:

All he does is hit bombs. 💣

Doesn't even do that anymore. 2 bombs since April 12.

7 hours ago, exaulz said:

Doesn't even do that anymore. 2 bombs since April 12.

Exactly. I’m wondering if he will even make it to 20 HR this year. 

54 minutes ago, juice219 said:

Exactly. I’m wondering if he will even make it to 20 HR this year. 

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm. He's on a 150-game pace for 36 HRs, which is definitely below his HR pace from 2015-18. But he's a streaky hitter and always has been. He could get on a heater and reach the 20-HR mark in two weeks. Whether he does or not, I fully expect him to reach 35 HRs this year, which wouldn't be terrible, considering he's missed 15 games already this season. 

• Like 1

So I guess next week will be a lost week for those in weekly leagues? As a first time owner I've really been disappointed. Outside of his blistering start the first couple of weeks he is either battling injuries or still waiting for another hot streak

27 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

So I guess next week will be a lost week for those in weekly leagues? As a first time owner I've really been disappointed. Outside of his blistering start the first couple of weeks he is either battling injuries or still waiting for another hot streak

Im wondering how you guys feel about starting him on weekly leagues. the A’s have a day off tomorrow so maybe he will be ready Tuesday? I’m not sure what to do

Still a buy for me.  Been frustrating year but usually very durable and has healed rather quickly.  Believe he strained oblique last year and came back in 10 days.  Unheard of.  Can go on crazy heaters.  3 8 dong months and he’s at 40.  Not out of question IMO.

• Like 1

With the increase in league-wide power, has he become obsolete? I have trouble believing he’ll be any better ROS than similar low avg/obp power threats like Franmil or Renfroe for example. 

Anyone dropping? There are a handful of guys on the wire producing what this guy has given me.

40 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

Anyone dropping? There are a handful of guys on the wire producing what this guy has given me.

Hard to believe but he has turned into JAG.

56 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

I'm trying to sell based on his past seasons. He is not the same hitter this year and his periphials indicate no improvement. His slugging is down 116 points. Last year he had a fly ball rate of 48.8% but is down to 37.1% this year. Hard to hit HR's when you don't put the ball in the air.

Maybe pitchers are pitching him differently or an early season injury tweaked his approach at the plate? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I can’t help but think KD still isn’t 100%. 

He’s been getting some hits but just not homeruns like we are used to. He has been one of the best power hitters in the league over the last few years. Maybe he is declining but maybe he is still hurt. 

He hit 10 homers in his first 17 games and then hit 6 over his last 75 games. 

When he was trying to play through his injury I remember the announcers saying he didn’t look the same at the plate.

Edited by Under500Forever

He injured his side on May 5th and then was hit by a pitch on the hand on June 27th. 

Here are some bits and pieces of an article I read. I honestly think KD will be ok IF he is healthy. He may not hit 40 bombs this year but I think he will finish in the 35 range. Again, IF he’s healthy. 

My hand could use the break,” Davis said. “I still feel that 96 mph off the hand. I’m just trying to do what I can.”

He still has noticeable swelling on the side of the hand and it affects his swing.

It’s just not as strong as it should be,” he said. “I’ve been choking up a little bit, and that’s been helping a little, but not a lot of power guys choke up.”

There has been speculation that Davis has been pressing a little since signing a contract extension April 18 or that his power dip has caused him to try to do too much, but Davis said Saturday that his mind-set hasn’t changed.

I pretty much take the same mentality every AB,” he said. “I just try to put a good swing on it every time. I just haven’t been healthy. So that’s been on my mind a lot.”

Davis has led the majors in homers since the start of the 2016 season with 149, but by the break last year he had 21 homers in 87 games; in 2017, he had 24 in 87 games; and in 2016, when he got off to a slow start, he had 19 in 81 games.

I was hot to start, and cold to finish,” Davis said of his first half. “The side was a factor, the hand is a factor. I can’t really control those things. Hopefully, in the second half, I’ll be much healthier.

Wish they would have just given him an extra 10 days off via an IL stint as soon as the ASB ended. He’s been downright abysmal for over two months.

All of a sudden 20 HR is looking kinda bleak. With the way the game is now a hitters paradise, who would have thought this guy can’t swing with the big boys?  Completely lost at the plate since April. 

Who?

It's getting to the point where I'm considering a Drop in a shallow 10 teamer. Hiding an injury or content because he got paid, who knows? His batted ball data is pretty much in line with career norms. Seems like he ends up lower than .247 though lol 

• Like 1

Been starting Jason Heyward and Niko Goodrum over him until he shows some sign of life.  Nothing so far 

Posted (edited)

is it time to cut him loose? i admit i've let my A's fandom get in the way of my head for the past justifiably cut-worthy month but, frankly, we're in that stretch of the year where young studs are getting called up and roster space is becoming too premium to hold on to a 40-dinger dude who's slashed .141/.236/.154 over the past month with ZERO taters and nine measly ribbies. he was shreddin' at the dish when he bruised his hip mid may and it's really obvious he's never really come back from it. 

the problem is... khrush is notorious for hittin em in bunches. what if he goes and hits a dozen in august lol he's certainly had a few of those types of months over the past few seasons so smart money may be the correction is around the corner. dropping him for an unproven albeit exciting bat [...] feels sketch 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Bench Coach content.

I wouldn't have a problem dropping Khrush in some shallower formats, particularly in this environment where power is so fungible, but I think there has to be a buyer in most leagues who's going to buy him on the image of consistency that comes with his name.  Maybe you have to get creative and include a "sell high" player who's currently performing so that there's a mix of current production / upside in the deal, but I can't believe there isn't at least one owner who needs a big power surge in the last 1/3 or so of the season and is willing to give you something of value for it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zykomonkey said:

is it time to cut him loose?

That time was a couple weeks ago. Guy has been beyond horrendous meanwhile random scrubs have more homeruns. Way too many better options out there this season to be sitting on a guy who is clearly not right.

Edited by Finisher
  • Like 1

He’s been on my bench for weeks but I have some sort of irrational attachment issue that makes me too scared to drop. This dude can hit 10 homers in roughly a two week span (like he did at the beginning of the year) and I just know he’ll get hot the instant I drop him.

3 hours ago, Dislimb said:

He’s been on my bench for weeks but I have some sort of irrational attachment issue that makes me too scared to drop. This dude can hit 10 homers in roughly a two week span (like he did at the beginning of the year) and I just know he’ll get hot the instant I drop him.

If that is the case then help some brothers and sisters out and please drop him for those of us who are still holding onto him...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

If that is the case then help some brothers and sisters out and please drop him for those of us who are still holding onto him...

I’m seriously close to taking one for the team. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1