AnonymousRob

Bryce Harper 2019 Outlook

He hit 249 with a 393 OBP in 2018. The shift killed his average, but he still had 34 homers and threw in 13 stolen bases to go with his 103 runs and 100 rbi. But it took nearly 700 plate appearances to do it.

There's growing momentum among owners and Manfred to limit a team's ability to shift. If that passes, that's probably going to give a big boost to Bryce, wherever it is he signs. 

Now as to where he's going to sign. He's doesn't turn 27 until next October. The Nationals appear resigned to losing him. So...who gets him? His agent is Scott Boras, so you know it's going to cost some team a LOT of money and a lot of years. The Phillies have been heavily speculated since last year, and with their recent deals they appear to have a spot in the outfield. The Cardinals are reportedly interested even with their trade for Goldschmidt, but only if they can get him for less than 10 years. The Dodgers are seemingly interested. They don't have any space in their outfield, but they'd surely trade away guys. Plus it's relatively close to his home in Vegas. Kris Bryant is one of his good friends and there's talk the Cubs might get him.

Whoever gets him can cause a change in projections, but right now steamer projects him to basically mirror what he did this past season, with a slight bump to his batting average. As great as he is, the hype has often pushed his draft spot a bit higher than his production warrants. What happens in 2019? Will next season finally be his "monster" season? Will he again miss lots of time with injuries? 

The Phillies have the money to out-bid everyone but I still believe he ends up in Los Angeles. 

I still think he stays a Nat. From the HomeRun Derby saying he liked playing for the Nats. Heard on MLB discussion that Harper has said he wants to be one of those players that his career spans just one team. All that can change if a team offers a Stanton type contract.

12 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

I still think he stays a Nat. From the HomeRun Derby saying he liked playing for the Nats. Heard on MLB discussion that Harper has said he wants to be one of those players that his career spans just one team. All that can change if a team offers a Stanton type contract.

Rumor has it the Nationals offered him 10 years and 300 million and he turned it down. They might still get him, but between them saying they've offered him all they can and then signing Corbin, it seems like they've decided to move on unless Bryce lowers his demands. 

Yeah, I think the Nats ship has sailed.

I'm hoping DeWitt will make a serious run at getting him on the Cardinals, that lineup would be scary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Mush said:

He's gonna end up on the Yankees.

105-37-98 .270

Would love to see it, but i think there is a very very slim chance the yanks get him. They already have 5 OFs

Yanks aren't getting him. They're cheapskates now, if you haven't noticed. No way they ante up what it'll take to sign Harper.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

u gotta assume that yanks getting stanton for nothing is REALLY hurting harper...

8 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

u gotta assume that yanks getting stanton for nothing is REALLY hurting harper...

I'm surprised he mentioned "limited $". 

1 minute ago, Sine_cera said:

I'm surprised he mentioned "limited $". 

always thought machado is more likely to the yanks than harper.  just not sure what u do with andujar unless youre trading him and florial for kluber or something...

5 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

always thought machado is more likely to the yanks than harper.  just not sure what u do with andujar unless youre trading him and florial for kluber or something...

from a positional perspective, machado is the better fit BUT from a line-up point of view imo, Harper is the better fit. The yanks need a quality left handed slugger

• Like 1

I think it comes down to WSox or Dodgers. The former will offer the most money, I think. 10/390 or something similar. Dodgers can't offer the same, but are a much more attractive destination. I think he ends up signing with the Sox and exercising an opt out after 4 or 5 years to chase another massive deal in a more preferable destination. (Unless the Sox are in the middle of dynasty building. then maybe he stays). If he's on your fantasy team, seeing him in the AL Central hitting against a slew of garbage pitchers -- and with Kluber likely leaving to boot -- has to be tantalizing. Much more attractive than LA or Philly, fantasy-wise. 

7 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

I think it comes down to WSox or Dodgers. The former will offer the most money, I think. 10/390 or something similar. Dodgers can't offer the same, but are a much more attractive destination. I think he ends up signing with the Sox and exercising an opt out after 4 or 5 years to chase another massive deal in a more preferable destination. (Unless the Sox are in the middle of dynasty building. then maybe he stays). If he's on your fantasy team, seeing him in the AL Central hitting against a slew of garbage pitchers -- and with Kluber likely leaving to boot -- has to be tantalizing. Much more attractive than LA or Philly, fantasy-wise. 

you guys think he signs before new years?

13 hours ago, sleepysock said:

I would be shocked if he lands on the sox, personally. Just because they (Reinsdorf) hasn't had a huge FA contract since Albert Belle's back in 95 (ish). That contract didn't pan out so well. 

Part of me would be thrilled if they got him. The other part of me knows that big market teams can afford to make pricy mistakes, the Sox cannot. If they give him the $$$$$$$$$$$ he wants, and his performance is no where near where it should be, this whole rebuild will be derailed because they won't be able to sign the FA they will need to complete the puzzle. 

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I would be shocked if he lands on the sox, personally. Just because they (Reinsdorf) hasn't had a huge FA contract since Albert Belle's back in 95 (ish). That contract didn't pan out so well. 

Part of me would be thrilled if they got him. The other part of me knows that big market teams can afford to make pricy mistakes, the Sox cannot. If they give him the $$$$$$$$$$$ he wants, and his performance is no where near where it should be, this whole rebuild will be derailed because they won't be able to sign the FA they will need to complete the puzzle. 

Would remind me a bit of A-Rod to the Rangers. 

It's really interesting how few perceived suitors Harper has. He might be the best RAW talent in the game. 

I have a weird hunch the Cubbies swoop in and grab him 

22 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

It's really interesting how few perceived suitors Harper has. He might be the best RAW talent in the game. 

Too expensive for them right now

3 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I think its an interesting time, many teams probably know he is gonna cost a mint they are not willing to pay or know they will just be used to drive the price up by Boras and are not intersted in being pawns.  Was really hoping someway the Pads are one of the mystery teams.  To me when you have that blank slate on your budget and lets face it when Craig Stammen is like your 4th highest paid player, you have a pretty blank slate - it to me is the perfect time to try and land a star or two, not like a few years back when they went "all in" but a gradual 2-3 year process.  

4 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Too expensive for them right now

The idea of Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Schwarber, Contreras, and Harper would be fun. If I were him, I'd go to the Rockies on a discount and swat 90HR. :D

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

The idea of Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Schwarber, Contreras, and Harper would be fun. If I were him, I'd go to the Rockies on a discount and swat 90HR. :D

Could you imagine?!? 

9 hours ago, parrothead said:

Would remind me a bit of A-Rod to the Rangers. 

A-rod gave Texas 9 WAR a year. I'd take that from Harper :)

Edited by 2ndCitySox