sunnyside

J.A. Happ 2019 Outlook

Haven't heard specific money discussed in relation to this guy.  What kind of contract will he end up getting?  70 mil for 3?  80 for 4?

Edited by tonycpsu
Cleaned up cut & paste error

50 minutes ago, sunnyside said:

Haven't heard specific money discussed in relation to this guy.  What kind of contract will he end up getting?  70 mil for 3?  80 for 4?

I don't see money like that. I'm no expert, but a 2 year contract around $35 million, don't see 3 years, I really don't, but maybe 3 years for $50 mil, 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Is this the same ja Happ who has been really bad for the majority of his career?

Curious.

Pete Walker fixed him.  Now he is good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Is this the same ja Happ who has been really bad for the majority of his career?

Curious.

You mean the guy with a 3.48 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 8.4 k/9, 2.63 bb/9, 58 wins over the last four years?

Curious. 

He's not a guy that should be anyone's SP1 or SP2, but he has proven over the last four seasons (3 1/3 really) that he's a useful mid-rotation guy for fantasy teams. And I wouldn't classify him as "really bad" for the majority of his career. Average or below average? Sure. Really bad? No. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

Pete Walker fixed him.  Now he is good.

He's been very consistent but I'd still be hesitant giving a 3-year deal to a 36 year old pitcher. 

It seems it vests with 165 innings or 27 starts.  Seems kinda high to me.  If he repeats his solid 2017 season, for example, it doesn't vest.

On 12/11/2018 at 10:51 AM, Flyman75 said:

You mean the guy with a 3.48 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 8.4 k/9, 2.63 bb/9, 58 wins over the last four years?

Curious. 

He's not a guy that should be anyone's SP1 or SP2, but he has proven over the last four seasons (3 1/3 really) that he's a useful mid-rotation guy for fantasy teams. And I wouldn't classify him as "really bad" for the majority of his career. Average or below average? Sure. Really bad? No. 

i agree.  happ will pitch to a 3.4-3.8 era and can easily win 17-20 games for the yankees.

I don't get why pitchers agree to vesting options with terms like Happ's deal has. 

It's so easy for the team to manipulate innings/role between skipping starts, bullpen, phantom DL stints, etc that it seems super unlikely for any chance that the option vests.

Although if NYY are the only team to offer any kind of 3rd year option at all, I guess it makes sense for him to agree to the deal.

I agree - although the Yanks are usually decent about such things.  C.C. got his bump last year, though his circumstances were and are a bit different. . . .

Posted (edited)

I never seem to want to draft this guy, but he always puts up solid numbers over the course of the season cumulatively. I like him better in roto because it seems he does blow up from time to time and could hurt in H2H. I think he's top 15-20 SP over the last 3 seasons. Not going to light the world on fire with K's, but mid 3 ERA, 1.2 WHIP, and wins.

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1

Where do you all have him ranked overall, somewhere in the top 200 or possibly higher? He was great with the Yankees and is healthy.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:07 PM, Whitecloud0101 said:

Curious.

lol. Someone's been asleep for four years.

I'm curious myself. As these are his numbers the last four seasons, 

31 GS, 172 IP, 3.61 ERA, 151 Ks (7.9 K/9)

32 GS, 195 IP, 3.18 ERA, 163 Ks (7.5 K/9)

25 GS, 145.1 IP, 3.53 ERA, 142 Ks (8.8 K/9)

31 GS, 177.2 IP, 3.65 ERA, 193 Ks (9.8 K/9)

which of these seasons would you refer to as "really bad." 

For the vast majority of the last four years, JA Happ has been really good. He set another career high in Whiff% last year, and the only concern with Happ is age. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2019 at 11:44 AM, Members_Only_76 said:

I never seem to want to draft this guy, but he always puts up solid numbers over the course of the season cumulatively. I like him better in roto because it seems he does blow up from time to time and could hurt in H2H. I think he's top 15-20 SP over the last 3 seasons. Not going to light the world on fire with K's, but mid 3 ERA, 1.2 WHIP, and wins.

He gonna get lit up this yr.

Book it.

13 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

He gonna get lit up this yr.

Book it.

Image result for girl with teeth gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Love this guy for 2019, elite offense, elite bullpen, should have 3.5-3.75 ERA, 1.20 WHIP with a BUTTLOAD of Wins

• Like 1

Why was he lifted after 4.1 v BAL. He wasn't great but not horrible either have to wonder if injury?

Just now, SuperJoint said:

Why was he lifted after 4.1 v BAL. He wasn't great but not horrible either have to wonder if injury?

Didn’t look injured - have to assume it was just Boone’s decision.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Because he stunk and probably was 3rd time through the order.