Sign in to follow this  
hailfire4

new prospect list- Prospects1500

10 hours ago, EaglesIrish5 said:

What do people think about Nolan Jones?  I do not see him on the forum and I saw him on a list in the 30's.

His bat is pretty exciting although he could cut down the Ks a bit. Defense is the bigger issue - if he stays at 3B he's probably a legit top 50 prospect, but he might end up at 1B.

Interesting seeing Shane McClanahan on this list. He was lights out at the beginning of the year for USF (shutdown a ranked UNC to open the season), however he had command issues down the stretch and USF's promising season died when he faltered. He was projected to go among the first five picks of the draft until his mid-season issues. When he's on, he's filthy. I guess he got some issues straightened out in his brief starts in Rookie ball as he basically didn't get touched for any runs until the Appalachian League playoffs. His K rate was definitely there again. Stash him and hope for the best. With the right coaching over the next three seasons, you get an ace. With his stuff now unhoned, you get a closer.  

On 12/14/2018 at 11:37 AM, EaglesIrish5 said:

What do people think about Nolan Jones?  I do not see him on the forum and I saw him on a list in the 30's.

Nolan Jones is 78th on the list, Nolan Gorman is 40th.  From a high level, they are both promising young prospects, however Gorman really shined in his rookie campaign absolutely crushing his way to 380/570/949 OBP/SLG/OPS while Jones has been above average his first two years in the minors at 410/452/862.  

One 3B that seems low to me is Colton Welker, I would put Gorman ahead of him for sure, but feels like Welker has the superior upside and current production between he and Jones. Lots of good 3B on their way... 

Can we get a little explanation on the Gavin Lux ranking? 63 seems high when I haven't seen him much if at all on other lists.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Can we get a little explanation on the Gavin Lux ranking? 63 seems high when I haven't seen him much if at all on other lists.

I feel like I've seen him 50-80 on many lists recently. That Lux ranking above is based on an aggregate from their writers, so that fits in with what I've seen

https://prospects-365.com/2019/01/02/ray-butlers-2018-december-top-100-prospects/

47 here

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

why does someone like Wander Franco make these prospect lists for 2019? he is 17 (18 in March) and only played last season in rookie ball. he's not going to play for the Padres for years still.

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

why does someone like Wander Franco make these prospect lists for 2019? he is 17 (18 in March) and only played last season in rookie ball. he's not going to play for the Padres for years still.

I don't believe Wander Franco is on any list for 2019 production. They are just listing the best prospects to have in general. Wander Franco is probably the only prospect who isn't expected to debut this year or next who should be ranked high.  I guess there's a chance he could be up in 2020, but most likely not. 

• Like 1

I hope that one day he either gets traded to San Diego or signs with them later on in free agency so that this post becomes prophetic.

Sorry, but Wander plays for Tampa organization.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

I'm not sure why they wouldn't if he is considered one of the top prospects by scouts and talent evaluators.  What difference does it make if he is 'years away'?  The point of the list is to identify the top prospects, regardless of proximity to their respective MLB teams.  If proximity was the only consideration, the lists would mostly be composed of AA and AAA guys.  There is inherent risk, I agree, with putting such a young player very high on the list, but again age and proximity is not the determining factor.  If his talent, at least from respected scouts and evaluators, believe he should be ranked highly then that's where he should be.  See Griffey Jr., Ken for further information about young kids and prospect rankings.  If I recall he really was a young kid debuting in short season and with his showing began his meteoric rise and he was ranked by Baseball America quite high afterwards.   The rest is history.  Again, the ranking is based on his perceived talent and ability even if it takes 3 more years to get to the show.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think the poster was just misreading the 2019 Ranks--as in how it plays for this year...which is not how most of these things work

I think Wander is one of the rare type of prospects that will basically dictate his rise to the bigs --now being TB-- a big chunk of the equation will be if he and his agent will sign off on a longer term deal structure allowing him to avoid the hold-back gamesmanship most teams do...

Nathaniel Lowe was another name on the list that I hadn't seen on a whole bunch of others. Is he legit? Same question for Will Smith 3B/C LAD. Looks like he's only really had one good season and the strikeout rate isn't great.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Nathaniel Lowe was another name on the list that I hadn't seen on a whole bunch of others. Is he legit? Same question for Will Smith 3B/C LAD. Looks like he's only really had one good season and the strikeout rate isn't great.

Nathaniel Lowe is a less hyped Peter Alonso, might be as good or better, might be a little worse.

Will Smith, I'm not a fan of his long term fantasy value. I wouldn't want to hold onto a catcher in the minors without super high offensive upside, unless it was like a super deep catcher league. Even a 20 team league that uses 1 catcher, im not super stoked to have him.  Ruiz is the better fantasy catcher prospect in the system. Maybe Will Smith carves out a career where he bounces around from #7-15 best catcher for like 7 years or so, probably not.  I don't hate him,  just not someone I want to be invested in.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 5:27 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I don't believe Wander Franco is on any list for 2019 production. They are just listing the best prospects to have in general. Wander Franco is probably the only prospect who isn't expected to debut this year or next who should be ranked high.  I guess there's a chance he could be up in 2020, but most likely not. 

On 1/8/2019 at 12:12 PM, BigPapi44 said:

I'm not sure why they wouldn't if he is considered one of the top prospects by scouts and talent evaluators.  What difference does it make if he is 'years away'?  The point of the list is to identify the top prospects, regardless of proximity to their respective MLB teams.  If proximity was the only consideration, the lists would mostly be composed of AA and AAA guys.  There is inherent risk, I agree, with putting such a young player very high on the list, but again age and proximity is not the determining factor.  If his talent, at least from respected scouts and evaluators, believe he should be ranked highly then that's where he should be.  See Griffey Jr., Ken for further information about young kids and prospect rankings.  If I recall he really was a young kid debuting in short season and with his showing began his meteoric rise and he was ranked by Baseball America quite high afterwards.   The rest is history.  Again, the ranking is based on his perceived talent and ability even if it takes 3 more years to get to the show.

I was specifically looking for a prospect list for just 2019 for fantasy baseball. this is one link I found..

https://www.faketeams.com/2018/12/31/18147965/2019-fantasy-baseball-top-300-100-preseason-prospects-with-projections-list-rankings-dynasty-sleeper

After hours of research and over 600 player projections, the 2019 Top 300 preseason prospect list is finally here. Before we dive in, I’ll try to explain some of my rankings the best I can. Each projection is based on what I think a player’s probable outcome at the Major League level could be.

Wander is ranked 3rd with this projection.

3 Wander Franco TBR SS 30 20 100 100 0.305

maybe they mean peak production, but I think it's misleading.

I was specifically looking for a prospect list for just 2019 for fantasy baseball. this is one link I found..

https://www.faketeams.com/2018/12/31/18147965/2019-fantasy-baseball-top-300-100-preseason-prospects-with-projections-list-rankings-dynasty-sleeper

That list also has Vlad Jr projected to hit 45 home runs  lol.  Nico Hoerner #16 over Hiura and Adell?  hmmmmmm.

Also, how does Kevin Cron get into the top 110?  I dont like that list or the projections that go with it.  Seems to me there are better lists out there

1 hour ago, TheTruth024 said:

That list also has Vlad Jr projected to hit 45 home runs  lol.  Nico Hoerner #16 over Hiura and Adell?  hmmmmmm.

Also, how does Kevin Cron get into the top 110?  I dont like that list or the projections that go with it.  Seems to me there are better lists out there

Yeah that list (faketeams) is just a tough one to wrap your head around in general...

I like that he's ahead of the big pub lists and all but so many odd placements and unclear criteria being used imo.

I really have not checked that site in a long time, they lost all their quality writers.