brockpapersizer

Kyle Tucker 2019 Outlook

The Astros know that both White and Gurriel are better than this though. Yes, they've both been pretty bad this year, but we're not even half-way through the season yet and the Astros know not to rely on small sample sizes. White was really good last year - he slashed .276/.354 /.533, which was good for a wRC+ of 144, and his full season pace numbers were 29 HR, 66R, and 103 RBI. It would be dumb to give up on him, particularly because he has started to look better lately.

Is Tucker better than White right now? He might very well be. Maybe even probably. But the Astros also need to think about long-term success, and the only way for White to improve is to keep getting at bats.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, djmax101 said:

The Astros know that both White and Gurriel are better than this though. Yes, they've both been pretty bad this year, but we're not even half-way through the season yet and the Astros know not to rely on small sample sizes. White was really good last year - he slashed .276/.354 /.533, which was good for a wRC+ of 144, and his full season pace numbers were 29 HR, 66R, and 103 RBI. It would be dumb to give up on him, particularly because he has started to look better lately.

Is Tucker better than White right now? He might very well be. Maybe even probably. But the Astros also need to think about long-term success, and the only way for White to improve is to keep getting at bats.

White overperformed his metrics by quite a bit last year and of all the organizations to know that, it's the Astros. Plus most of his damage was done against LHP. Gurriel is a nothing player at this point in his career. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djmax101 said:

I don't agree with the premise that White is significantly better than the guy we're seeing right now. 

But I am convinced that both Alvarez and Tucker are better hitters than he is right now. 

1 minute ago, papasmurf said:

Will HOU trade him?

They don't have many (any?) controllable OFs after next seasons so I really doubt it. 

Posted (edited)

I am so ready to see Kyle "Mother" Tucker in the bigs this year!!

Edited by Fielder1831
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Will HOU trade him?

ZERO chance of that.   None. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 96mnc said:

ZERO chance of that.   None. 

I would never say ZERO chance but pretty close to it as they can deal from a deep system if they need to address any perceived issues.    Depends what level of talent the Astros want to add I guess.  If it's an ace starter then perhaps.  Still I think they will want to do whatever they can to keep him and I see that as likely.  However, unless something drastically happens I think you might only see Tucker up as a September call up this year  (Maybe just before that date in order to make him eligible for the playoffs if need be).  However, I think he'd be a bench guy who would get a few starts and not fantasy worthy.    Nevertheles, he's still a huge part of this team's future and I think he'll have the starting gig straight out of spring training next year.   

Edited by knuckleheads

Maybe we get lucky and he's traded to a team like the Tigers where he will play everyday.

Hard to see him getting even 120 ABs with HOU.

1 hour ago, knuckleheads said:

I would never say ZERO chance but pretty close to it as they can deal from a deep system if they need to address any perceived issues.    Depends what level of talent the Astros want to add I guess.  If it's an ace starter then perhaps.  Still I think they will want to do whatever they can to keep him and I see that as likely.  However, unless something drastically happens I think you might only see Tucker up as a September call up this year  (Maybe just before that date in order to make him eligible for the playoffs if need be).  However, I think he'd be a bench guy who would get a few starts and not fantasy worthy.    Nevertheles, he's still a huge part of this team's future and I think he'll have the starting gig straight out of spring training next year.   

That's the catch,  they really don't have any holes. They have two aces, a loaded pen,  and their biggest possible weakness (the lineup) can be fixed internally by Alvarez and Tucker.

Astros recently sent Derek Fisher down to bring up an arm due to the extra innings.

I'm wondering if when their arms get back to normal schedules, and they don't need bullpen help, maybe Kyle Tucker is an option? 🤔

39 minutes ago, NolanRyan said:

Astros recently sent Derek Fisher down to bring up an arm due to the extra innings.

I'm wondering if when their arms get back to normal schedules, and they don't need bullpen help, maybe Kyle Tucker is an option? 🤔

Not likely with Springer and Altuve back soon. 

18 minutes ago, slaphitter said:

Face it, we're between a rock and a hard place

I think his best chance now is serious injury with either Brantley, Reddick, or Springer (and now Alvarez) being lost for the year type of thing.  I don't think the Astros will want to go into the playoffs with some of their semi-regular platoon guys being expected to play a bigger role then what they are used to...

Of course since he did so poorly last year any shot given will have a short leash...      

On 6/13/2019 at 9:23 PM, knuckleheads said:

I think his best chance now is serious injury with either Brantley, Reddick, or Springer (and now Alvarez) being lost for the year type of thing.  I don't think the Astros will want to go into the playoffs with some of their semi-regular platoon guys being expected to play a bigger role then what they are used to...

Of course since he did so poorly last year any shot given will have a short leash...      

I agree with the call up only if one of their oF suffers a significant injury. These Mother ‘Tuckers’ holding him hostage way too long now.

Another HR tonight, #22. He’s 2/2 so far tonight with 4 RBI’s. In the 4th inning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sonny_D said:

Another HR tonight, #22. He’s 2/2 so far tonight with 4 RBI’s. In the 4th inning. 

Make that 2 long balls tonight, giving him 23 total. 3/5 with 5 RBI’s. 

5 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

just no room in astros lineup.  

Stroes are going to want him next year too, he may be stuck until rosters expand.

Brantley needs to be playing 1B and let the kid have LF...enough is enough here...it's great timing with a 10 G lead in Div and no real threats looming...let him get his feet wet!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Brantley needs to be playing 1B and let the kid have LF...enough is enough here...it's great timing with a 10 G lead in Div and no real threats looming...let him get his feet wet!

1. The issue is Springer and Altuve coming back. So they'll have to send two players back down or cut bait with White. I agree with you though, it would be great to see a lineup like this..
  3. Springer
  4. Altuve
  5. Brantley
  6. Bregman
  7. Alvarez
  8. Correa
  9. Tucker
  10. Chirinos
  11. Reddick
  • Like 1

Reddick got an inning at 1st today. This is the second time in June that he's played 1B. Also worth noting that Fangraphs has him as a minus in RF this year so perhaps the Astros might not value/need his defense in the outfield and would be fine playing him at 1st. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dod959 said:

Reddick got an inning at 1st today. This is the second time in June that he's played 1B. Also worth noting that Fangraphs has him as a minus in RF this year so perhaps the Astros might not value/need his defense in the outfield and would be fine playing him at 1st. 

Astros are a Fangraphs kind of team!

On 6/16/2019 at 6:52 PM, dod959 said:

Well Brantley is in RF tonight. Probably a by product of Yordan not being able to play Dh. Just may open another avenue.