brockpapersizer

Kyle Tucker 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

What makes you think the Astros aren’t enamored with him? They have one of the most productive outfields in baseball. There just isn’t room for him at the major league level and they don’t want to shuttle him up and down from the minors, nor stunt his development by playing him part time. I’m pretty sure the Astros still recognize what a talent he is and he’s still an important centerpiece in their long term plans.

I honestly didn’t think this way until they called Yordan up when both were on fire. Tucker was already on the 40-man and I thought that’d be the tie-breaker. Just reminded me of last season when everyone thought Justus Sheffield was coming up and then the Yanks dealt him early in the offseason. Astros are stacked, that’s for sure, but I can’t call Tucker’s future there safe.

My take on Tucker is everyone is going to ask for him, but it seems obvious the Astros are not willing to move him. If they were not considering Tucker as part of their future, then there would be no real reason to move him to 1B so as to increase his opportunities in Houston. Alvarez, who plays terrible defense but hits like a monster, is their DH for the next decade. 

The OF is stacked right now, but Brantley has been injury proned in the past and Redick is aging. There will be a chance there soon. Kemp is a fourth guy and Marisnick is likely a defensive replacement type, though he has hit well enough this year to be considered a viable option.

Either way, Tucker will get looks in the OF corners or possibly 1B if he shows well enough in AAA at that position. 

The kid is still a legit talent, though I'd like to see his strike out rate cut some. However, if he can hit .270 in the majors while putting up 30/30 numbers, then Houston won't care about an inflated strike out rate. 

This trade deadline should be interesting. 

Altuve
Bregman
Correa
Springer
Alvarez
Tucker

Six players with top 30-40 talent. Not too often this much pedigree ends up in the same place at the same time (and young). Altuve and Springer - the geezers of the group - are still 29. 

A rotation with two legitimate aces at the top. Forrest Whitley waiting in the wings. (Just imagine if they'd resigned Charlie Morton!) 

What a time to be an Astros fan. 

Tucker can really play. And really hit. He'll be up soon, and we need to exercise patience. If given some rope, he is going to eventually produce. The hit tool and power combo isn't as luscious as Yordan's, but the overall package is probably better. 

In 10 teamers, I'd only stash Tucker in leagues with weekly lineups, rather than daily -- so his spot on the bench isn't a big issue.
In 12 teamers and beyond, especially 5-OF leagues, I'd be trying to make a move on him ASAP. I also think the home ballpark in Houston is well-tailored for his skills. 
In dynasty... I'd treat him like a prized asset.  We could see a prime of something like .278/.365/.512 with 25-30 jacks, 10-15 steals, and all the counting stats that come with hitting in a nasty lineup. 

Kyle-Tucker-Gothic.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Excellent post above ChicksDig. As a Tucker owner I am just biding my time until he gets the call. I still do NOT believe he is going to be moved. All 3 Houston OFs are FAs after 2020. Does that mean another year in Round Rock for Tucker? Enter first base. That will get him on the field as long as he can handle it. Tucker breaks camp next year with the Astros and will likely be "Bellinger light", in that he can roll into the OF or play 1B. I agree totally about the hit tool, Alvarez is a bit more refined, but Tucker still has electric talent and as you said the total package (speed, defense) makes him possibly better than Alvarez, but Alvarez will be a staple in the middle of that lineup for years to come with his bat. Two incredible young talents. 

• Thanks 1

Anymore predictions on this guy and what he will do this year. I'm holding until after the deadline to see if he winds up in a starting role.

Tyler White was traded to LAD. 

You guys think there is chance Tucker could be called up any time soon to play some 1B/OF ?

12 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

I just got this feeling he is gonna get traded to the mets for sydengarde 

Jeez man it’s “Syndergaard”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

If the Astros want a pitcher in return, they need to suck it up and include Tucker in return. It’s obvious that’s the prospect teams want included in the trade package 

Edited by The_Real_Deal

Mets really don't need corner outfielders do they? That said, if they moved Thor to Houston, Kyle Tucker absolutely has to be going the other way. Don't see this one going down.

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2019 at 6:18 PM, kwolf68 said:

Mets really don't need corner outfielders do they? That said, if they moved Thor to Houston, Kyle Tucker absolutely has to be going the other way. Don't see this one going down.

The Mets need all the help they can get. They need talent at every position on the field. Although I wouldn't trade Syndergaard, I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with a competent managerial staff and ownership. I digress.....

Getting Tucker in return would be a nice get for the Mets.

Edited by Maitiu

If you can get a top 10ish MLB prospect in return, you make the trade regardless of position. You figure the rest out later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From RW:

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the Astros are showing continued interest in Tigers left-hander Matthew Boyd.

We know the Astros are also interested in Zack Wheeler, but the situations are very different between the two pitchers. Wheeler will hit free agency following the season while Boyd is under team control through 2022. Morosi hears that the Tigers have asked for Kyle Tucker in return, which sounds like a reasonable request. Wheeler wouldn't cost nearly as much.

Posted (edited)

Maybe the Mess trade Syndergaard for him. Basically swapping out Kelenic for Tucker. But for Tucker, that'd be a bad situation to go there... That's a horrible organization.

Edited by papasmurf

Just now, dfstout said:

Stros focusing on MadBum...that's a KT trade no?

Lol no. Bum is a rental. Tucker ain’t going nowhere but if he did, it would be for a cheaper arm under contract for years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Maybe the Mess trade Syndergaard for him. Basically swapping out Kelenic for Tucker. But for Tucker, that'd be a bad situation to go there... That's a horrible organization.

The Astros said they won’t include him in a trade for Syndergaard 

https://risingapple.com/2019/07/28/mets-trade-rumors-astros-tucker-syndergaard/amp/

3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Lol no. Bum is a rental. Tucker ain’t going nowhere but if he did, it would be for a cheaper arm under contract for years.

Maybe if Giants included another arm like Smith - Tucker is the type of player that would probably get the Giants to move MadBum right now, they are not moving him for a package of younger guys, but if you have a top OF prospect who is right on the doorstep, that would get them to sell.  

Posted (edited)

How has he been doing recently in the minors?  Traveling and can't find a game log tracker. The season long stats (69/27/75/23 .260/.344/.561) look pretty fantasy friendly obviously. K rate of 24% is pretty meh but the 10% BB rate makes up for it bit.

Edited by Baur10

17 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Maybe if Giants included another arm like Smith - Tucker is the type of player that would probably get the Giants to move MadBum right now, they are not moving him for a package of younger guys, but if you have a top OF prospect who is right on the doorstep, that would get them to sell.  

I don’t think so. They don’t have a big need for back end relief help anyway but even if they did, Bum is gone in 2 months. They’re not desperate enough to make a deal like that. 

• Like 1

Houston has the 2nd highest run differential in the majors, best in the AL. They have had several guys (Springer, Correa, Altuve) miss significant time. There was no Yordan before a month ago. 

It's easy to sit back and say they need to add pitching, but do they really? 

There's no real pressing need. Houston has been reluctant to trade Tucker and I don't think it's been posturing for 2 years. I don't think there's a pitcher available right now that's incentive enough to move Tucker. I like Matt Boyd and all that, but I couldn't justify making a move for him, it's the ultimate sell high for Detroit. 

I think the best shot a team has at landing Tucker would be if the Mets wanted to get cute and send back 2 of Thor/Wheeler/Diaz. I don't see that happening. Of course, Houston would be sending additional assets to cover that gap. Cole/Verlander are dominant and Wade Miley has been one of hte better arms in the AL too. I know, it's Wade Miley, but his last 2 years (38 starts) have been ++. They should add an arm for the playoffs, but I don't think it's urgent. Urquidy was a guy that looked good long before his call up, velocity up. It's a scary proposition to learn on an arm like that when it matters, but the offense is going to provide some support. Peacock will soon be back, as well as McHugh. I think they can make it work, especially with the smashing offense they have. 

So, as far as Tucker is concerned, I think he will continue to be an Astro after the next 24 hours. It also helps they have so many other nice pieces in the farm after him and Whitley. Seth Beer, Abraham Toro, Tyler Ivey, Cristian Javier, Freudis Nova, and Myles Straw. I have seen folks scoff at the idea that Straw has any real value, but he's a strong up the middle guy (which a team like the Mets are really looking for), can absolutely fly (9 steals in 105 MLB PA's), is a strong OBP player (.375 OBP in his MLB chances, .392 in his near 500 game MiLB career).

The thing that seems to be burning Houston is other teams are getting stars in their eyes for the cream at the top, playing hardball to try to pry away an elite prospect and completely disregarding anyone else. If Houston didn't have Tucker and Whitley these teams would still be interested in talking to see what kind of packages would come for guys. With Tucker there, they get the "we want Tucker or no dice" talks. 

There is no chance he moves for Bumgarner or Wheeler, and I'm just stunned at how many people I've seen speculate Tucker for Bumgarner both here and on Twitter. 

• Like 1

I think the fact that Houston has refused to bring him back up this season is being interpreted by some as a lack of need/commitment with regard to him and thus they discount his status as an elite prospect by looking at names like Bumgarner.  It has to be hard on him to have gotten one limited chance and then to have been held down at AAA where there isn't much development opportunity for him.  He hasn't helped himself over the last month but this feels like a "killing time" season.

@sngehl01 I agree with much of the post. The only reason I think it makes sense is that their lineup is still solid for a few years. GCole is a free agent and Verlander will be 37 when next season starts. Getting a controlled SP (Boyd or Thor) makes them better this year AND might be the smart play moving forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

@sngehl01 I agree with much of the post. The only reason I think it makes sense is that their lineup is still solid for a few years. GCole is a free agent and Verlander will be 37 when next season starts. Getting a controlled SP (Boyd or Thor) makes them better this year AND might be the smart play moving forward.

I agree it makes sense, but they don't seem interested in doing it. Reddick is there another year, supposedly beer is a capable LF, etc. I just can't get on board with boyd, as much as I like him this year. I'd rather them call up Miami and see what Smith costs. I just need to see it sustained from boyd.