Sign in to follow this  
tts42572

Should I agree to 1 week final instead of two weeks?

So our league was set up so that week 16 and week 17 would be a two week championship where the scores from both weeks are added together.  However, the commish has proposed to both owners in the final to make the Championship Week 16 and be done.  He said both owners will need to agree for the change to be made.  My opponent has already agreed.

Here's our teams...Starters and bench.  I have a much deeper team than my opponent at the moment which I think could favor me with Week 17 shenanigans.  But it's really unpredictable right now as it all depends on who wins/loses this week.

We start 1 QB, 2B, 2WR, TE, Flex, def, k.

My team:

QB:  Mahomes, Trubinsky

RB:  Gordon, Chubb, Conner, Lindsay, Michel, J Williams

WR: Hopkins, T Hill, Mike Williams, Golladay

TE: Kittle

Def: Texans

K: Greg The Leg

His team:

QB:  Ryan, Mayfield

RB: Zeke, Mixon, T Coleman, K Johnson

WR: D Adams, Diggs, A Cooper, J Gordon, M Goodwin 

TE:  K rudolph

Def:  Bears

K:  Lutz

Just looking for some thoughts.  Do I agree to just playing Week 16 and being done?  Or should I hold my ground and play a combined Week 16 & 17?

For me, I have guys like Mahomes, Gordon, Hill, Conner, Hopkins who all could be question marks in Week 17.   On the flip side though, the Chiefs play the Raiders which could be a lot of points if they have something to play for.  And Conner could get to tee off with the Bengals.

For his team, probably Zeke and Cooper are the only question marks.  If the Cowboys win this week and clinch the division, they'll have nothing to play for Week 17 as they're locked into the 4 spot.  

Would appreciate thoughts.  I probably have more Week 17 question marks.  But if my players play in Week 17, could be better matchups for me.

Interesting, I like the idea of combined and looking over your squad I would probably do that. 

I dunno. I'd have to really sit down and look at matchups and what not.

I'd just do whatever was agreed upon preseason.

• Like 1

Absolutely do not play into week 17 in ANY circumstances.  You're adding additional risk of your healthy stud players being inactive for week 17 to save them from injury going into the playoff.  It doesn't matter how good the match ups are for your players.  Your trade deadline is likely gone and your options on the wire are even more dire even if any of your players are already deemed inactive days before their games.   Any league that makes you play week 17 should be changed immediately IMHO.

• Like 1

I hate the idea of changing rules mid-season. But I also hate the idea of championship being tied to week 17. You have a better team. Go with your gut. I think combining both weeks would actually help you secure a win if your teams busts this week. Just my 15cents

Cut it to 1 week, you definitely have more ?'s in week 17 with players possibly sitting out our being pulled early.

3 hours ago, reddawg2k said:

Absolutely do not play into week 17 in ANY circumstances.  You're adding additional risk of your healthy stud players being inactive for week 17 to save them from injury going into the playoff.  It doesn't matter how good the match ups are for your players.  Your trade deadline is likely gone and your options on the wire are even more dire even if any of your players are already deemed inactive days before their games.   Any league that makes you play week 17 should be changed immediately IMHO.

All the risks he assumes, the opponent does as well. 

Id look at matchups and then decide.

No way I'd play a week 17.  It's very possible neither Mahomes or Trubisky will play week 17 (or only play half games).

you could get super technical with this depending on matchups, but my gut says let it roll how it was setup in the first place. and as a disclaimer, I want NOTHING to do with week 17 championships. 

Edited by erollinc

Thanks for all the thoughts here guys.

I decided to just go ahead and agree to the Week 16 game and be done.

I do have a lot of question marks in my lineup between injuries and playing time with guys like Mahomes, Gordon, Hill, Hopkins, Conner.  Basically all these guys could potentially be sitting in Week 17 depending on what happens in Week 16.  My opponent really only has two guys in Zeke/Cooper that would be a question mark.  The rest of his players should all be fine.

And odds are that I'll at least have a couple studs sitting out or playing very limited minutes in Week 17.  The worst is actually the limited minutes thing....Playing for a quarter or half or whatever.  Week 17 really does turn into a preseason game for some teams.

Seems like the best thing to do is roll one week and take all the Week 17 question marks out of the equation.  If I'm gonna lose, it'll be with my best squad this week and not with a bunch of scrubs next week.  And frankly, I wouldn't feel great winning that way either if all my guys played next week and he had Zeke/Cooper sit for example.  I'm sure the other owner would just be holding it over my head and saying the only reason I won was because we played Week 17. 

Week 17 is just a bad week to be playing.  I don't want my fantasy hopes resting on E Mcguire, Ballage, Robert Foster, Rod Smith, etc, etc.