AnonymousRob

Shohei Ohtani 2019 Outlook

6 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

I expect him to keep getting better and better. Hes just now heating up. He was coming off a injury so it took him time to get going.

I'm not expecting the Angels to fall completely out of the wild card race. They didnt have Heaney and Ohtani from the get go either. They've got enough talent to stick around. 

They also have Upton and Simmons returning soon. 

This is very similar to last year when he started to figure things out and looked like a top 5 hitter in baseball. He's batting .440 with 5 hrs in his last 10 games. 

15 minutes ago, gopackgo555 said:

This is very similar to last year when he started to figure things out and looked like a top 5 hitter in baseball. He's batting .440 with 5 hrs in his last 10 games. 

I don't know if I want to start vs Snell though 

13 hours ago, BETTAFISH said:

Yea that’s great. He’s also being babied a bit and coming off a significant injury. The guy has ability sure (that’s undeniable) but the situational factors I mentioned in my other post above. This will likely depress a lot of that fantasy value you and others are expecting for THIS YEAR. The Angels also stink and are at the bottom of their division. If they fall out of contention I can envision a lot more rest days for a guy who they want to protect and is just a DH.

This is simply a bad take. He is coming back from Tommy John which takes a bit , not to mention timing. Corey Seager came back from the same injury and was just starting to rake before he hurt his hammy. The flip side to the pessimism is that Shotime doesn’t have to worry about pitching and can devote 100% to his approach at the plate. He should be owned and started in every fantasy league on earth. 

• Like 3

Tom Tango: Should Ohtani Choose?

So, that’s the tradeoff: 

1. would you give up 150 IP to get 250 PA? 
  2. would you give up 400 PA to get 50+ IP?
  3. [...]

Since 150 IP is the equivalent of 480 PA, you would definitely not want to give up 150 IP to get back only 250 PA.  You’d be short 230 PA.

Since 50+ IP is the equivalent of 160+ PA, you would not make that trade either.  You’d also be short about 230 PA.

In other words, the best way to leverage Ohtani is to use him as-is.  The breakeven point is to use him at 3/4 of forecasted.  That means only down to 300 PA and 120 IP will it be a close call.

Sorry Frank.

Just an FYI to weekly-league Sho owners, he's in STL this weekend and will be limited to PH...but with 4 games in TOR preceding it still is prob worth the play!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Tom Tango: Should Ohtani Choose?

Things like this is why it bothers me that Yahoo decided to split Ohtani into two players. His value as a hitter besides this season becomes a huge question mark. 

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Just an FYI to weekly-league Sho owners, he's in STL this weekend and will be limited to PH...but with 4 games in TOR preceding it still is prob worth the play!

Exactly my thoughts. I was about to bench when I saw they were playing 3 in the NL this week, but then I saw the 4 @TOR. Figured that alone is worth the weekly start. 

Posted (edited)

He’s on another level atm. The Angels need pitching so badly (would easily be a playoff team with even decent starting pitching) and he has an elite arm. But how can you leave him out of the daily lineup as a hitter when he plays like this. 

Edited by gopackgo555
  • Like 1

Feel bad for people that dropped him. Power is legit, kid hits dingers.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 11:47 AM, mjb03003 said:

What's even more impressive is that he did basically nothing against lefties. Here's the splits:

vs. LHP: .222/5/2/13, 2 steals in 99 at-bats.

vs. RHP: .313/54/20/48, 8 SB in 227 at-bats. 

These splits make it pretty easy for the Angels to just sit him down against tough lefties if they want to give him rest. But why would they ever want to sit him against RHP who he absolutely obliterated to the tune of a .387 OBP and .656 SLG (1.043 OPS) and a .344 (!) ISO. I think he'll start 4 or 5 games per week on average and if he's not starting he will be a WEAPON as a pinch hitter off the bench. 

He's a monster at the plate. 

So far this year (small sample) he's actually hitting better against lefties than righties:

vs. LHP: .311/.396/.511, 2 HR 10 RBI, 1 SB (45 AB)

vs. RHP: .269/.330/.516, 7 HR, 20 RBI, 1 SB (93 AB)

MONSTER.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there a reason he had to have an off day today when he is going to be out of the lineup the next three days?

30 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

Is there a reason he had to have an off day today when he is going to be out of the lineup the next three days?

This has me tilting! Like wtf he's about to get a weekend off mostly. Some managers geeeeez. 

45 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

Clayton Richard is too overwhelming for lefties.....talk about overmanaging.  Let the sluggers slug.

Posted (edited)

Lefthanded batters must sit against lefthanded pitchers, I guess. So a manager can look like he's managing n' stuff.

I see Upton is at DH, so it may have something to do with wanting to get him off the field for a day. But I still don't see why Ohtani is off under the circumstances of being about to go to an NL park for the weekend. Could have just let Upton rest altogether today instead of Ohtani since Ohtani's going to be parked on the bench for the next three days anyway.

Edited by Caelum
  • Like 1

Could they be sitting him because they want to see him throw just to get an idea of how is arm is doing? I know he isnt pitching this year but I'm sure the angles are curious how hard he can throw

16 minutes ago, svtballa said:

Any thoughts on ROS?

He’s good.

Over the last 30 days he’s hitting.330 with 8 HRs, 4 SBs, 18 runs, and 22 RBIs.

41 minutes ago, meh2 said:

He’s good.

Over the last 30 days he’s hitting.330 with 8 HRs, 4 SBs, 18 runs, and 22 RBIs.

Good = Top 10 bat past 30 then? :)

17 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

Good = Top 10 bat past 30 then? :)

Yep. If I’m redrafting today I’d strongly consider taking him in the 3rd round.

If he is unified with the SP version on your platform, who do you take ahead of him in 2020? Trout and Yelich? Is that it?

13 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

If he is unified with the SP version on your platform, who do you take ahead of him in 2020? Trout and Yelich? Is that it?

Story