Sign in to follow this  
countseth

Christian Yelich 2019 Outlook

Ben Lindbergh, The Ringer: Will Regression Ever Come for Christian Yelich?

Since last August 1, 45.5 percent of Yelich’s flies have left the park, easily the highest rate of any hitter during that span. Since 2002, no hitter with at least 250 plate appearances has hit even 40 percent of his flies over the fence. That Yelich has cleared 45 percent over a sample of more than 250 PA hammers home how unbelievably hot he’s been.

It also reminds us that he has to come back to earth sometime soon. Heck, he hasn’t homered in his past two games; in the past few months of action, that’s about as close as he’s come to a slump. But fewer flies leaving the park won’t hurt him as much as it would have when he was hitting far fewer flies to begin with. Regression will come for Christian Yelich, but in light of what he’s learned, it’s unlikely to cost him his hard-won superstar status.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:51 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He will end up with 25 - 27 homers.

you may have sold him short

great pick to those who took him.  look like he can be 30-35 again with big time counting stats and maybe 20 SB.

wouldnt surprise me if he finishes ahead of Betts this year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

does he finish ahead of trout in 5x5? stan?

Edited by jfazz23

On 4/7/2019 at 3:30 PM, jfazz23 said:

you may have sold him short

great pick to those who took him.  look like he can be 30-35 again with big time counting stats and maybe 20 SB.

wouldnt surprise me if he finishes ahead of Betts this year.

Why only 30-35 Hrs?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Why only 30-35 Hrs?

45 to 50 more likely

He's just steadily gotten better since the beginning of last year. I don't know where his ceiling is anymore. If he could somehow start hitting 5-10% more fly balls.. look out

This is why Analytics often takes a back seat to common sense.  Anyone could tell that Christian Yelich was just a fundamentally different player after the all star break.  Even a damn fool could see it.  Unfortunately I was one of those damn fools.  I own 0 shares of him despite Yelich carrying me to a championship in one of my leagues last year,,"his HR to Fly ball ratio is not sustainable" Yeah right.

Oh well at least I had him last year..can only wish him well.

PS  I give it an 80% chance he wins NL MVP again this year.

• Like 2

9 homers is great and all, but is it concerning that he only has 1 against teams not named St. Louis?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Suns13 said:

9 homers is great and all, but is it concerning that he only has 1 against teams not named St. Louis?

It's concerning if you're a cardinals fan..

• Haha 1

Here’s to the people that thought he would regress in the HR department to 20-25 HR’s. He’s already halfway there and it’s only April 19th.

• Like 4

2nd best player in the league under Trout obviously unless Mookie has another season like last year.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:32 PM, countseth said:

However, since he’s young, it’s possible he may have more, in which case, you may choose him at 10 and get a top-5 return or pay $40 and get what would’ve cost you $50 had we known he had another level. 

Guys, this is what we’re realizing. It’s time we considered the very real possibility that he’s the #1 fantasy player in the game. Both ROS and for next year’s draft. 

5 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I guess he'll be peeing in a jar tomorrow morning.

Yelich doesn't he has Chuck Norris do it for him.

8 homers in his last 6 games. think about that for a second. like, what. 

Posted (edited)

I remember when Chris Shelton in April 2006 hit like 9HR in 13 games, lol nowdays that feels like some dream when you were on acid.

Seriously thought if Yelich can shield himself from any kind of injuries(such as trout or judge as examples) he could shatter season record for HR, legitimate chance.

Edited by DJSatane
  • Like 1