accudart

Rockies Prospect Hell-Signing Murphy?

I give up on Rockies Prospects...happened to just trade Rogers, was going to try to pick up Hampson...nope, uncle.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, accudart said:

I give up on Rockies Prospects...happened to just trade Rogers, was going to try to pick up Hampson...nope, uncle.

What?

the Rockies do not realize the stud they have in Hampson and pretty much anything else that comes out of their farm.  Ive been very patient with Hampson and thought his quick rise thru their system was a sign he'd be up full time next season. guess not with the imminent 2 year deal with Murphy.  good news is that Murphy is a huge injury risk and i get he's injured most of those 2 years.

I've read a lot of articles on this and they all say Murphy will play 1B for the Rockies.

That's probably because he's an atrocious defender at 2B. He produced -18 defensive runs saved in 71 games there last year. If you don't like DRS, you can choose some other metric, but they all say he's awful.

I wouldn't cut bait on Hampson over this. Ryan McMahon maybe, but not Hampson. If someone in your dynasty league is selling, buy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LarrysBraves26 said:

Sure sure they are lol. 

Murphy can't play a decent 2B anymore so yeah they are going to play him at 1B.  Unless you own Ian Desmond why would you worry?  Hampson is fine.

• Like 2

It could have been about Murphy:) I have him but will cut him as he's not a prospect anymore. I've already traded Rogers and yesterday traded McMahon. I really didn't want to move him but I had to make a cut and at least I was able to pick up a draft pick for him where I wouldn't have with Margot. I also moved Welker in the Rogers deal. Until now I hadn't thought about it but two deals to the same owner I traded Rogers, Welker and McMahon...so he believes. Oh I also have to cut Tapia.

So to be fair I have a ton of prospects in my Scoresheet league but:

Cuts: Murphy and Tapia

Trades: Rodgers, McMahon and Welker

That makes Pint my lone Colorado man standing. I will target Hampston in the draft however. It wasn't an by design but that's how my purge went down.   

On 12/21/2018 at 8:54 AM, accudart said:

Is it time to cut bait  on McMahon?

Couple of articles I've read appear like McMahon is the favorite to start at 2B.  However it's Colorado and no one knows really. 

Would anyone be shocked if they brought DJ back on a team friendly deal and left all of us prospect hounds out in the cold?  s--- I know I wouldn't. 

2 hours ago, hypeiz4real said:

Couple of articles I've read appear like McMahon is the favorite to start at 2B.  However it's Colorado and no one knows really. 

Would anyone be shocked if they brought DJ back on a team friendly deal and left all of us prospect hounds out in the cold?  s--- I know I wouldn't. 

I wouldn’t be shocked only because the market might be very small for starting 2b, lowrie is still out there and so are a few others. I imagine they all sigh for under 30 million and wouldn’t be surprised if some for 10 or less for one year. I’d still bet against them signing another infielder. Ian Desmond is really bad at baseball, look for him to get less PAs as the season goes along unless he’s crushing it, which he hasn’t done remotely since 2016.

Desmond is just gonna be a super bad defensive utility guy, who will fill in. I really feel the Rockies best prospects are not exactly fantasy prospects right now because they are too far away.

From a recent Denver Post article:

"The veteran infielder officially signed a two-year, $24 million contract with the Rockies on Friday and will become their primary first baseman."

"Primarily a second baseman, Murphy has played 225 games at first during his 10-year career. He acknowledged that at this point in his career, first base is a better fit, also saying that he was “never elite” at second."

“Full disclosure, I’m probably more comfortable at first base than I am at second,” Murphy said. “After speaking with (manager) Buddy (Black) and Jeff, it feels like that’s where my best fit is going to be. I’m just here to fall in line with a ball club that is ready made, basically.”

With Murphy taking over first base, the Rockies plan to switch Ian Desmond to the outfield, at least most of the time."

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/21/daniel-murphy-two-year-deal-rockies-world-series/

So if Desmond is going back to the OF, where does that leave McMahon and Hampson as far as the second base job?  I was really hoping McMahon was going to be given every opportunity to land an everyday role this year.

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

So if Desmond is going back to the OF, where does that leave McMahon and Hampson as far as the second base job?  I was really hoping McMahon was going to be given every opportunity to land an everyday role this year.

My early world view is McMahon and Hampson will be platooning at 2B. This will allow both to get decent number of at bats while at the same time keeping the pressure off them both as they continue to grow and mature. Hampson will probably also be a great bench add during games in which he does not start, given his speed and ability to play all around. McMahon can play 1/2/3, but there will never be a reason to take out Nolan and Murphy as well (given both Mc and DM both hit lefty). 

So I see McMahon as the strong side in the platoon guy, and Hampson while on the weaker side of the platoon should get into more games he does not start than McMahon. 

This ALL assumes they don't get a 2B if they do, say goodbye to both McMahon and Hampson. I honestly don't feel like that is an option because both McMahon and Hampson are ready to go and NEITHER have anything left to prove in AAA. It's completely logical, but with the Rox you never know. Watch this team closely, if they do not add a veteran 2B, I feel better about my predictions.

Edited by kwolf68
  • Thanks 1

I dunno if Hampson or McMahon can play any LF, but currently Desmond is projected to start in the OF, and Desmond is a terrible player.  I know Tapia will probably get some play there, but between Dahl and Blackmon, you could also see time opening up via injury.  It should be interesting to see if the Rockies sign an OF, because if they don't, more PAs are available there IMO.