absknicks

Carlos Correa 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, B&F said:

His ceiling is irrelevant.  The chances of him reaching it are slim due to injuries.

 

You won't have to pay for the ceiling in redraft next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, cs3 said:

 

1. That's not a projection. A projection isn't just some wild guess off the top of your head.

2. On average, how many shortstops do you think reach 30 HR's and 190 R+RBI each year?

1. Enlighten me on what a projection is then. 

2. The point of my entire argument is that Correa likely won't hit that "projection" because he is injury prone. 

Edited by Jyeatbvg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His adp this year was about 50.  I don’t think he falls too far from that. 6th rounder?   Zero chance he’s not a top 100 pick 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

His adp this year was about 50.  I don’t think he falls too far from that. 6th rounder?   Zero chance he’s not a top 100 pick 

On the season according to Yahoo rankings, Correa is the 32nd ranked shortstop, 302nd overall. Even breaking his value down to a per game basis, he is still only the 20th ranked shortstop, 125th overall. I agree that he’ll probably still be drafted around the 6th, but he won’t be in my top 100. Shortstop is so deep. Correa is no doubt very talented, but he is so overrated for fantasy. He’s got the toughness and durability of a box of Kleenex soaked in water for 2 hours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who drafts first and trend sets adp?  The nfbc.  What do those contests have?  An overall prize.  What do those players shoot for?  Upside.  I can’t imagine Correa falling out of the top 100 or past the top 75.  Corey seager was going 80ish this year.  

 

i understand if someone want to put him on a dnd, but You’ve got a talented player who is likely batting 2-5 in Houston’s lineup.  Several 6-9 rounders will bust anyway.  Next year I don’t have any problem taking him there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be back shortly after his stint is up giving him close to a month left according to astros gm.   Take that with a grain of salt but,  Thats  enough information for me to hold on.  However,  in  roto, If I was leading by a lot, or close to contending and needed a few stats here that a roster spot would give me, I’d cut the cord.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was contemplating trading him prior this latest IL stint. Now I don’t think I’ll be able to for a reasonable price with our trade deadline a week away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Should be back shortly after his stint is up giving him close to a month left according to astros gm.   Take that with a grain of salt but,  Thats  enough information for me to hold on.  However,  in  roto, If I was leading by a lot, or close to contending and needed a few stats here that a roster spot would give me, I’d cut the cord.  

 

I am curious if he is about go on the 60 day IL.  With them calling up a 3b whom I dont think is on the 25 or 40 man roster.  I would think they would need to either drop someone or 60 day IL stint.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you owners (me) going to do with him in keeper/dynasty leagues? The dude has all-star talent, but leaves stats on the table with injuries. Can’t sell high and don’t want to sell low.😤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, charger_ss24 said:

What are you owners (me) going to do with him in keeper/dynasty leagues? The dude has all-star talent, but leaves stats on the table with injuries. Can’t sell high and don’t want to sell low.😤

Keep. 18+ war at 24 years old. The guy can play. There's so little predictive value in three years where he "only" puts together ~10 WAR because of missed time to injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, charger_ss24 said:

What are you owners (me) going to do with him in keeper/dynasty leagues? The dude has all-star talent, but leaves stats on the table with injuries. Can’t sell high and don’t want to sell low.😤

He’s a pain in the butt for sure, but when you are getting 60  cents on the dollar or whatever for a 24 year old, you don’t trade.  Every case is different for keepers, but in dynasties he’s an easy hold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Might” get some abs before “October”?? Even though he is “pain free”? Well, that sucks.  I wish I knew this while he rotted  on my bench as I waited for him to come back for that September push.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

“Might” get some abs before “October”?? Even though he is “pain free”? Well, that sucks.  I wish I knew this while he rotted  on my bench as I waited for him to come back for that September push.  

I can see that from an IRL situation. You’d want him fresh and “pain free” for a playoff run.

From a fantasy view, I’m done with him. I packaged him with Springer and got Lindor in return, which mildly surprised me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

“Might” get some abs before “October”?? Even though he is “pain free”? Well, that sucks.  I wish I knew this while he rotted  on my bench as I waited for him to come back for that September push.  

 

Where did you hear this? I have him on my IL but w/ Kimbrel going to my IL i'd like to decide who to stash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NolanRyan said:

 

Where did you hear this? I have him on my IL but w/ Kimbrel going to my IL i'd like to decide who to stash.

This is from the roto world player blurb on yahoo.  It’s not definitive that he’ll be out for re rest of the regular season, and it’s pretty ambiguous,  but it really doesn’t instill any confidence.  Given his extremely sketchy medical history, abnormally slow recovery time, probable rust, and the fact that he’s just not that much of difference maker, no one would fault you for letting go.  Myself personally, I’m keeping him a few more days for more clarity.  Looks like stubborn hope on my part, and I’m just expecting more fluff like “he feels great! Back by this weekend.” Kind of tripe only to never see him again.  Good luck with whatever you choose to do,from one fellow,Correa sufferer to another.  Here’s the actual blurb.

 

 Thu, Sep 5

Carlos Correa (back) told reporters that he doesn't currently feel any pain and has begun hitting in the batting cage.

Advice: He also said that he's taking things slow, and he's hoping to return to the Astros' lineup before the end of September. He's been out for over two weeks because of discomfort in his lower back, and the Astros have no need to rush the star shortstop back with a playoff spot all but locked up. Still, it obviously would be nice for Correa to pick up some at-bats before the postseason begins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 12:17 PM, street sharks said:

 

And he's always underwhelming post injury. It's happened the past two years. Maybe third time's a charm.

 

Make that 3rd year in a row

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s always a sensitive subject talking about a player’s “toughness” but I really have to question that with him. It seems to me that he’s always taking his time coming back from injuries. I’m very aware that some injuries can’t be rushed but it seems that just about every other player would be back in action days or weeks before Correa gets back from his injuries. I always wonder what players like Cal Ripken think when they see players like Correa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, meh2 said:

It’s always a sensitive subject talking about a player’s “toughness” but I really have to question that with him. It seems to me that he’s always taking his time coming back from injuries. I’m very aware that some injuries can’t be rushed but it seems that just about every other player would be back in action days or weeks before Correa gets back from his injuries. I always wonder what players like Cal Ripken think when they see players like Correa.

 

The Astros have championship aspirations, and don't need him in the lineup right now. Furthermore, they have him under contract for multiple more years.  I really don't think most professional athletes in their prime of their career enjoy taking time away from playing in the game during the season. Especially on a winning team.

Correa doesn't strike me as someone milking an injury to sit on a bench. He's also in his arb years and is ridiculously underpaid.

 

He's injury prone, sure. But again, the Astros have gotten their money's worth on Correa and then some... a lot of some.

Edited by brockpapersizer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

The Astros have championship aspirations, and don't need him in the lineup right now. Furthermore, they have him under contract for multiple more years.  I really don't think most professional athletes in their prime of their career enjoy taking time away from playing in the game during the season. Especially on a winning team.

Correa doesn't strike me as someone milking an injury to sit on a bench. He's also in his arb years and is ridiculously underpaid.

 

He's injury prone, sure. But again, the Astros have gotten their money's worth on Correa and then some... a lot of some.

I wasn’t implying that he’s milking it because he enjoys sitting on the bench. That’s obviously not likely.

Let’s put it this way: would you agree that there exists varying degrees of “toughness” (for lack of a better term) amongst players? And that if there were a way to quantify it, you would probably see a bell curve distribution of data, with most players grouped pretty closely together with a few outliers on each side? And if you are still with me on that part, could you think of a player that might fall on the far left of that scale? Well, for me I think Correa fits that bill. I just think he’s more likely to miss time with injuries than others and when he does get injured he takes longer to come back than others would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I wasn’t implying that he’s milking it because he enjoys sitting on the bench. That’s obviously not likely.

Let’s put it this way: would you agree that there exists varying degrees of “toughness” (for lack of a better term) amongst players? And that if there were a way to quantify it, you would probably see a bell curve distribution of data, with most players grouped pretty closely together with a few outliers on each side? And if you are still with me on that part, could you think of a player that might fall on the far left of that scale? Well, for me I think Correa fits that bill. I just think he’s more likely to miss time with injuries than others and when he does get injured he takes longer to come back than others would.

 

I haven't seen anything to indicate that he would fall on the short side of a bell curve of toughness. He's been injury prone, sure.  Those are different for me. Also, playing hurt to tough it out isn't necessarily a good thing for the player or team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He played well when he came back from his broken rib. I’m stashing him in a DL slot in hopes that he returns sometime during the fantasy playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...