FantasyGeek2018

Manny Machado 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

He will end up in New York. 6 or 7 year deal.

I doubt it. Sounds like the Yankees are lowballing him, as they're apt to do nowadays. They've also been operating under a self-imposed salary cap these last few years to stay out of the luxury tax zone... signing Machado would put them in tier 2 of the luxury tax penalties, that's a big jump for a team that's been so determined to avoid it in recent years.

I have in my keeper league so would not mind him heading to New York. Alot of talent around him. I think they still land him after Harper signs with the Phillies even with the luxury tax issues.

The Yankees don't need MM. They can sign a cheap place holder for DiDi like Tulo and save the money for next year . They are already better then they were in 2018 . Sanchez and DiDi both hurt and Sevy had a down after the ASB . I think they are being smart not wasting money on MM.

Some big names going to be available as FA during the 2019 off season

Nolan Arenado

Matt Carpenter

Cole

Sale

Goldy

Wheeler

JDM

Verlander

Just now, motown magic said:

The Yankees don't need MM. They can sign a cheap place holder for DiDi like Tulo and save the money for next year . They are already better then they were in 2018 . Sanchez and DiDi both hurt and Sevy had a down after the ASB . I think they are being smart not wasting money on MM.

Some big names going to be available as FA during the 2019 off season

Nolan Arenado

Matt Carpenter

Cole

Sale

Goldy

Wheeler

JDM

Verlander

I'd prefer Machado to every single one of those guys. And they don't need him, but he inarguably makes them a better team and the Yankees need to start acting like a "win-now" team during this window in which Judge/Sanchez/Severino are all in their primes and being paid peanuts. 

If the Yankees had pitching they could have won more games. The Red Sox had EVERYTHING go right for them the WHOLE season. The yankees could get another starter and hitter off the list I posted and still have money left if they don't sign MM or Harper.

I only posted a handful of FA's

A much better crop next year

2 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Well good news is... out of all 3 options. All good home run parks... I feel like you won't be disappointed with wherever he ends up.

Agreed. I actually don’t know which I prefer. Sox are going to have a really strong lineup with Moncada Anderson Abreu Eloy Madrigal. Philly the same. And the Yankees I would say are the clear favorites fantasy wise but I honestly don’t know if it’s a good fit for his personality and mental makeup. I wouldn’t be surprised if he let the Big Apple get to him too much especially with the contact he’s going to have. 

Yeah I feel like he's going to have a monster season wherever he lands. Could be 1st round value when the dust settles. 

9 hours ago, motown magic said:

If the Yankees had pitching they could have won more games. The Red Sox had EVERYTHING go right for them the WHOLE season. The yankees could get another starter and hitter off the list I posted and still have money left if they don't sign MM or Harper.

I only posted a handful of FA's

A much better crop next year

So would the Red Sox if they had Sale and Rodriguez healthy after the ASB. They had Pomeranz, Brian Johnson and Hector Velasquez starting games for them in August and September.

• Like 1

Not that it matters in fantasy, but I lost a ton of respect for this guy last year especially in the playoffs. 

I will roster him at the right price, however. :P

Let's see where he lands...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Call me Red said:

Sounds like the ChiSox have offered an 8 year deal.

Heard on the MLB network 7 years and between 175-210m. Not close to what he was, and us, were expecting the total deal to be both in years and average per year.

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Heard on the MLB network 7 years and between 175-210m. Not close to what he was, and us, were expecting the total deal to be both in years and average per year.

$200M to play baseball is win, no matter what you expected lol. Part of me wonders why a team doesn’t offer lots of money but short on years. 3 years $120M or something. 

45 minutes ago, Call me Red said:

$200M to play baseball is win, no matter what you expected lol. Part of me wonders why a team doesn’t offer lots of money but short on years. 3 years $120M or something. 

Because most of the teams aren't 40 mil under the tax. And if he gets hurt you have little flexibility for trades to bring people in.

• Like 1

I imagine there’s a few teams who could pay him that. Or, do the long term deal but front load the contract. 

10 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

This guy literally cost himself a 100 million with his BS in playoffs. It's shocking how low the White Sox offer is.

Considering it's been widely reported that the only teams REALLY left in the hunt for Manny are the White Sox and Phillies, if I'm the Phillies, I take one look at those numbers and immediately offer 8 years 250. It's less money and shorter term than was expected, and it's not like the Phillies can't afford it. Then you can go right back to Harper, show him how serious you are about him and about putting a winning squad together, and point him right to the dotted line. 

I get the arguments about the mega deals and overpaying free agents, I do. However, an opportunity like this NEVER comes around. For all of the comparisons, we've never seen UFA players this good and this young, and a situation where a team has so little money committed in the future. You've got a nice core, you add these guys and you're in business. Not to mention the insane amount of revenue those two would generate coming together to Philly. The city would go bananas. 

Segura

Cutch

Manny

Bryce

Hoskins

Herrera

Alfaro

Hernandez/Kingery

Boy, that's one fun lineup. SP would be a little weak (maybe this is the VV year?! lol), but that can still be addressed, and you've put together that lineup without spending much (if any) prospect capital, leaving guys like Medina and Sixto in the wings still. 

• Like 3

Gulp.  That's some Phillies lineup. 

The stepping on the 1B was blown out of proportion unless you're a Brewers or Aguilar fan.  So what if some fans don't like him?  That said, you'd like to see him go someplace where he feels welcome and the fans greet him with open arms.  I'd love to see him as a SF Giant and he'd do fine hitting with power at Oracle, but realistically they're not in position.  Even though it's between the White Sox and Phillies rat now, I gotta think the Yankees are lurking in the background.  How often does a chance like getting a top 10 player come up, but you don't want to overpay either.  Look at what the Dodgers gave up for a rental.    

With the release of 7/25m offer expand the number of clubs that may offer a contract that were shying away from the idea of 10/300+. Could a 7/210 or 8/225 be more reasonable to a club? Maybe go the other way and a 4/135 do the trick?

$175/7 deal allegedly BS per Manny's agent. 

Hopefully he signs somewhere soon. This is all pretty annoying now. 

I have him and Harper as keepers in my league so I would LOVE to know where they'll be playing lol.  Have to think one or both sign soon.  

I do not understand why any team would give Manny $175 million.

He doesn't seem super marketable, and did not flash under the lights of primetime baseball.

Also, we are talking about a player who on the road (away from a hitters paradise), over the course of 470 games and 1,937 AB's, has slashed .271/.319/.442

Edited by Berg

45 minutes ago, Berg said:

He doesn't seem super marketable

Winning baseball games is marketable.

did not flash under the lights of primetime baseball.

Right.  He did not have success in an 16-game sample after having immense success over 800-some games.  That is a true statement.

Also, we are talking about a player who on the road (away from a hitters paradise), over the course of 470 games and 1,937 AB's, has slashed .271/.319/.442

Yeah, I might be worried about that if I were the Dodgers or another team with a pitcher's park, but the Yankees and Phillies have home parks that are even more favorable for RHB.  I'll take a .750-ish road OPS if it comes with a .900 at home.

The White Sox $175/7 is a mere 20% more per year than the Phillies paid for Carlos freaking Santana last year, for a player in his age 26-32 seasons (Santana was 31 last season.)  If the other teams don't top that, they're doing it wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Call me Red said:

I have him and Harper as keepers in my league so I would LOVE to know where they'll be playing lol.  Have to think one or both sign soon.  

South Philly