FantasyGeek2018

Manny Machado 2019 Outlook

tony, i hear and appreciate all that you said. I just don't think Machado worth all the hulabaloo - Most Def better and worth 20% or more than Santana (or the like), but he is not a generational talent IMO.

"Generational talent" is a pretty high bar.  A true generational talent is going to go for much more than $25 mil per year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

South Philly

Everyone seems to think one or both could end up in Philly.  We'll see.  I feel like one of them will sign before the week. 

so, what would be his best landing spot with regards to production? Yankees? 

10 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

$175/7 deal allegedly BS per Manny's agent.

What else to you expect Manny's agent to say?  If the offer is true he isn't going to say "Oh yeah Manny's offers aren't near as high as I hoped."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squidthunder said:

so, what would be his best landing spot with regards to production? Yankees? 

Yankees would be one of, if not the, best spot for production.  Would have very productive hitting around him, great home park, stays in the AL East so he would have familiarity with the other parks (as well as continuing to play a good amount of games in Toronto and Baltimore) and pitchers.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What else to you expect Manny's agent to say?  If the offer is true he isn't going to say "Oh yeah Manny's offers aren't near as high as I hoped."

He would also be breaking the CBA by saying  it was fake if it was in fact a real offer.  He could lose the ability to be an agent in baseball.

please God do not have Machado sign with the San Diego Padres, please no.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Unless there's rooting interests involved here, I actually like the fit for Manny. No, San Diego doesn't play in the launching pad that a stop like New York does, but Petco was 13th in offensive metrics in 2018- Los Angeles was 26th. In fact, Petco was just one spot behind Philly, a spot that would've been considered extremely fantasy friendly for Machado. 

As far as the lineup/protection, San Diego isn't loaded, but there's good pieces there. The team is improving, and you could still do worse than a lineup with Myers, Hosmer, Franmil, etc. Again, it's not New York, but I think we all should've let go of the New York fantasy dream scenario a while ago. I'd personally much rather see Manny in San Diego than with the White Sox. 

18 minutes ago, adifazio27 said:

Unless there's rooting interests involved here, I actually like the fit for Manny. No, San Diego doesn't play in the launching pad that a stop like New York does, but Petco was 13th in offensive metrics in 2018- Los Angeles was 26th. In fact, Petco was just one spot behind Philly, a spot that would've been considered extremely fantasy friendly for Machado. 

As far as the lineup/protection, San Diego isn't loaded, but there's good pieces there. The team is improving, and you could still do worse than a lineup with Myers, Hosmer, Franmil, etc. Again, it's not New York, but I think we all should've let go of the New York fantasy dream scenario a while ago. I'd personally much rather see Manny in San Diego than with the White Sox. 

Without Machado I’d expect San Diego to still be projected as a bottom 5 team in terms of runs scored. If I were a Machado dynasty owner I’d be hoping this is just a ploy by his agent to ignite some more action.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

same

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

11 hours ago, adifazio27 said:

As an NL only dynasty owner, I'm stoked about the Padres possibility. Much rather the Padres than him going back to the AL.

11 hours ago, Halo Fan said:

As an NL only dynasty owner, I'm stoked about the Padres possibility. Much rather the Padres than him going back to the AL.

understandable.

I think Machado in SD with the Padres is losing 10+ in both R and RBI compared to other teams.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 9:26 AM, ToO_BaD said:

Yankees would be one of, if not the, best spot for production.  Would have very productive hitting around him, great home park, stays in the AL East so he would have familiarity with the other parks (as well as continuing to play a good amount of games in Toronto and Baltimore) and pitchers.  

I don't think the Yankees would be a good fit for a guy who doesn't give 100% all of the time, Gary Sanchez was roasted for not running out a ground ball. How much of an upgrade would he really be over Andujar? With the glove yes, with the bat not that much better, not in my opinion anyway.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:02 AM, azeri98 said:

I don't think the Yankees would be a good fit for a guy who doesn't give 100% all of the time, Gary Sanchez was roasted for not running out a ground ball. How much of an upgrade would he really be over Andujar? With the glove yes, with the bat not that much better, not in my opinion anyway.

I wasn't really saying it would be an upgrade for the Yankees.  The OP was for Machado's fantasy outlook.....

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Padres' offer to Manny Machado is as high as $280 million over eight years.

That's a nice increase over the over the $240 million that other clubs have reportedly offered. The Padres were also creative in the way they structured the contract for Eric Hosmer last offseason and could be looking to do something similar here. As of now, the Padres look to be in the lead in the race for Machado.

I have this fear that Machado is going to chase the money and end up signing with the Padres, and then he is going to have a down season.

[Removed Cool Story] 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

On 1/29/2019 at 9:02 AM, azeri98 said:

If Sanchez was producing the lack of effort would never be a story. It is when a player fails to meet expectations in NY that the city eats you alive. If you produce you have very little issues. 99% of players do not hustle all the time. 162 games is an insanely long season with travel, etc. Asking a catcher (or even an everyday position player) to hustle all the time is not an efficient use of their energy. As long as position players give it all on defense, I don't care too much if they hit a routine ground ball and don't bust it down the line. I used to care, but these guys get older and the grind is intense. I honestly believe there is a finite amount of energy these players have and I don't really want them wasting it on popups or routine ground balls. And then you factor in the lifting and conditioning throughout the season to maintain and there is a lot of strain on their bodies. 

Machado is an amazing talent. I think he is getting a bad rap because of a couple of plays and the slow market is making people think that is part of the cause. I think it is just leverage Machado or Harper gain when the first one blinks and accepts a deal. They aren't competing with each other more than they are competing with teams for a contract. Yes, Machado is an upgrade for every single team over their SS/3B combination. That is not disputable. But, is the upgrade worth the financial difference....probably not for most teams. Andujar is cost controlled for a lot of years so is the difference between Andujar and Manny worth $30M a year...of course not. But, Manny wants to play in NY so he might take a deal. I wouldn't bet on it, but it definitely could happen if he blinks first and takes the Boogie Cousins route of short term happiness over long term financial gain. But every single team in baseball is better with Manny on it. 

He's not a Yankee right now because Hal Steinbrenner is a cheapskate. Not because he doesn't hustle. 

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

He's not a Yankee right now because Hal Steinbrenner is a cheapskate. Not because he doesn't hustle. 

It's hurting him though, that he doesn't hustle. I mean, c'mon...who does that? You should be hustling down the line EVERY time.

2 hours ago, absknicks said:

you keep pushing this narrative when its flat out just not true.

6 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

you keep pushing this narrative when its flat out just not true.

It is true. Go research how much the Yankees made in revenue in 2018. Then compare it to their payroll.

Then give me a good reason why they shouldn't have signed Machado.