FantasyGeek2018

Manny Machado 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, Lux Aeterna ll said:

A quick note for dynasty/keeper owners: I wouldn’t sell low on him this year. His move to SD, and whatever numbers he puts up this year, should not materially decrease his value. He’s still a young, proven stud who may not have reached his ceiling. Much better years lie ahead of both him and the Padres as prospects like Urias and Tatis make their way up. 

No one in any dynasty league is remotely thinking of trading away Manny.

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Most of what I'm seeing rank Camden and Petco both being fairly close to neutral parks.  Camden is probably better, but it doesn't appear to be drastic.

Albeit, I admittedly do not know what the consensus best site for park factors is.

Camden is a really great park to hit in.  Period.

Also this draft position thing doesn't mean diddly on any platform.  Way too early for most drafts and a lot of early ones are dyansty or keepers where he isn't even available so doesn't even register.  On Yahoo it is the pre-season ranking that counts and Manny was ranked #17 there.

Eh. Someone else can overpay for his non-hustling stats.  I don't think he's nearly as good as he thinks he is.

But he is having the last laugh with that laughable contract. If we could all non-hustle while playing a kids game and eat sunflower seeds while padding our bank account in a huge way....the bottom line is we'd do it. Every one of us.

People seem to be down on him. They're certainly not bullish...

--Doesn't hustle

--PetCo

--Will he be motivated after signing mega deal?

--Fantasy contributions are not that great (I've seen "well, Andujar had only X fewer..." in more than one place)

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No one in any dynasty league is remotely thinking of trading away Manny.

Camden is a really great park to hit in.  Period.

Also this draft position thing doesn't mean diddly on any platform.  Way too early for most drafts and a lot of early ones are dyansty or keepers where he isn't even available so doesn't even register.  On Yahoo it is the pre-season ranking that counts and Manny was ranked #17 there.

That's because the O's opponents get to hit against the O's pitching ... GOLD!

• Haha 2

I don't know if it was posted, but I thought this was hilarious. this young Yankees fan did not want Machado, says this just doesn't happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, street sharks said:

Looks like this will be his last season with SS eligibility with Tatis coming up

Tatis won't break camp with the Padres because of the extra year of control.  No top prospect ever does because of this.  And since they aren't going anywhere this season with that really bad pitching staff he may have to wait until the June call-ups for the extra year post postponement of arbitration as well.

If Manny starts five games at SS this season he remains SS eligible through next season as well on Yahoo so no I don't think this is his last year of eligibility on Yahoo.  I don't see how he doesn't worm/demand some SS play pre-Tatis in other words.

19 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I don't know if it was posted, but I thought this was hilarious. this young Yankees fan did not want Machado, says this just doesn't happen.

Hilarious?

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c7019104857546b2e

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

Hilarious?

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c7019104857546b2e

Probably the most annoying voice I’ve ever heard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Tatis won't break camp with the Padres because of the extra year of control.  No top prospect ever does because of this.  And since they aren't going anywhere this season with that really bad pitching staff he may have to wait until the June call-ups for the extra year post postponement of arbitration as well.

If Manny starts five games at SS this season he remains SS eligible through next season as well on Yahoo so no I don't think this is his last year of eligibility on Yahoo.  I don't see how he doesn't worm/demand some SS play pre-Tatis in other words.

Lucky for yahoo folks. On espn he needs 10 games to gain eligibility for that season, 20 to carry over next year

Edited by street sharks

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

nope Urias will start the season at SS, with Garcia the utility guy til Tatis is up

was a huge part of the Padres justification, hes a superstar at 3B cause of the defense he adds, as a SS he loses value

Edited by Golden Spikes

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

nope Urias will start the season at SS, with Garcia the utility guy til Tatis is up

was a huge part of the Padres justification, hes a superstar at 3B cause of the defense he adds, as a SS he loses value

Good luck stopping Manny demanding some starts at SS.  Now that he has signed he doesn't give a fig what was agreed to beforehand.  This is Manny we are talking about after all.

6 hours ago, tywalson said:

Probably the most annoying voice I’ve ever heard.

Sounds like they figured out a way to teleport Chistopher Russo back in time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Good luck stopping Manny demanding some starts at SS.  Now that he has signed he doesn't give a fig what was agreed to beforehand.  This is Manny we are talking about after all.

ok bro, I am sure he might get a few games here and there, but hes not coming to disrupt, dude is business, knows we have a top SS otw, had no problem playing 3B to Hardy, just wanted to play SS in his FA season so he could see if he could boost his value.

realizes him playing SS didn't get him anywhere, no team was after him as a SS

8 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

ok bro, I am sure he might get a few games here and there, but hes not coming to disrupt, dude is business, knows we have a top SS otw, had no problem playing 3B to Hardy, just wanted to play SS in his FA season so he could see if he could boost his value.

realizes him playing SS didn't get him anywhere, no team was after him as a SS

Pure speculation on my part ... We honestly have no idea what is going to happen, maybe an injury here or there things can change, but I also believe Manny will play third everyday. He signed the contract and you can damn well expect the guys in charge told Manny he is playing third. 

15 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Pure speculation on my part ... We honestly have no idea what is going to happen, maybe an injury here or there things can change, but I also believe Manny will play third everyday. He signed the contract and you can damn well expect the guys in charge told Manny he is playing third. 

agree, Urias is the first choice, if he were to get hurt, then if they feel Tatis was ready, then he would slide up, if not Garcia prob plays SS short term.  If its long term this year and someone like France is shredding AAA then maybe you temporarily move Manny there short term, but Tatis is coming up sometime barring disaster

I also see Manny as getting challenged to win a GG at 3B against Arenado

Edited by Golden Spikes

On 12/21/2018 at 8:50 AM, motown magic said:

The Yankees don't need MM. They can sign a cheap place holder for DiDi like Tulo and save the money for next year . They are already better then they were in 2018 . Sanchez and DiDi both hurt and Sevy had a down after the ASB . I think they are being smart not wasting money on MM.

Some big names going to be available as FA during the 2019 off season

Nolan Arenado

Matt Carpenter

Cole

Sale

Goldy

Wheeler

JDM

Verlander

Fixed. And this is why teams can't afford to think this way. 

But the Yankees were just pushing the Arenado thing as a way of kicking the can down the road. They never had any intention of paying him, either. Just an excuse some fans latched onto.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 1:52 PM, shakestreet said:

Bull. You base your opinion about California because of one ballplayer? So your saying all ballplayers in California are laidback and have I don’t care attitude, they don’t take the game seriously? 

Right? Eckstein and Erstad were two of the toughest, grittiest players of their era, and they played half their games in the O.C.

So quiet in this thread, I am starting to think MM is going to get pitched around a bit this season then start to expand his zone and his BA will be pretty terrible. Anyone have any insight or thoughts on how you think his season will go.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Krambone said:

I am starting to think MM is going to get pitched around a bit this season then start to expand his zone and his BA will be pretty terrible

Why would you think this? Manny has a very stable profile 32% o-swing rate nearly a 90% z-contact rate and <10% swinging strike rate over 3+ seasons. Hosmer and Myers are not the best hitters but this lineup is considerably better than the 2018 Orioles Manny endured. Petco is often considered a pitchers park but has played basically neutral over the last 3 years and isn't far off Dodger stadium for right handed power. Manny has already spent a little less than half a season facing NL pitching overall and NL West pitching specifically so concerns there.

The only con I see is Hosmer and Kinsler need to find on base skills from previous seasons or Manny could even be moved into the leadoff spot if a better OBP option doesn't emerge among the young Padres. This might encourage him to run more so basically a wash.

This is a young explosive line-up the just kept Tatis Jr. in the majors. They look like they'll compete and I'd speculate that energy will carry over. I think this will be a great season for Manny.

95/35/102/21/ .295 sounds about right especially if the Pads keep up the running game.

Edited by Chaco Chicken
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Krambone said:

So quiet in this thread, I am starting to think MM is going to get pitched around a bit this season then start to expand his zone and his BA will be pretty terrible. Anyone have any insight or thoughts on how you think his season will go.

Why would he get pitched around more in SD anymore than Baltimore ?

2 hours ago, Krambone said:

He is in a pretty damn good hitting line-up now so why do you think that?  Like fletch44 says, it didn't hurt him in lowly Baltimore.

3 hours ago, Krambone said:

giphy.gif

Thanks for the feedback, i was curious as to what others were thinking. the lack of conversation had me thinking nobody was considering him being a top 10 NL player this year. i have no faith in SD or Machado this season. In a keeper league I will keep Hoskins and Stanton and let Manny be someones else's problem. thanks again for the great feedback.it actually made me lose more confidence in him.

11 minutes ago, Krambone said:

Thanks for the feedback, i was curious as to what others were thinking. the lack of conversation had me thinking nobody was considering him being a top 10 NL player this year. i have no faith in SD or Machado this season. In a keeper league I will keep Hoskins and Stanton and let Manny be someones else's problem. thanks again for the great feedback.it actually made me lose more confidence in him.

Do you have any reason as to why you have no faith in SD?  If anything, they are one of the more exciting story lines to me with the Machado add and finally starting to bring up their plethora of young talent.