FantasyGeek2018

Manny Machado 2019 Outlook

He used to be a "cant cut" player on Yahoo but now Yahoo is letting him be droppable lol.

What's everyone doing with this guy. I keep starting him hoping for a big game but always get let down

3 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

He used to be a "cant cut" player on Yahoo but now Yahoo is letting him be droppable lol.

What's everyone doing with this guy. I keep starting him hoping for a big game but always get let down

I have him benched.

Am I misremembering that his stats away from Camden Yards were never near as good?  Even now, his average away from Petco is nearly 40 points higher and his OPS like 150 points higher. 

7 minutes ago, Josean Pelota said:

Am I misremembering that his stats away from Camden Yards were never near as good?  Even now, his average away from Petco is nearly 40 points higher and his OPS like 150 points higher. 

It's weird because he was pretty good for the dodgers.

I've had him as a keeper the last three seasons and sold him about three weeks ago. This park might suppress his power numbers a bit and the lineup around him is pretty damn underwhelming. Of the teams rumored to sign him, the padres were my least favorite choice for fantasy reasons. Was really hoping he'd sign with the Yankees.

26 minutes ago, street sharks said:

It's weird because he was pretty good for the dodgers.

I've had him as a keeper the last three seasons and sold him about three weeks ago. This park might suppress his power numbers a bit and the lineup around him is pretty damn underwhelming. Of the teams rumored to sign him, the padres were my least favorite choice for fantasy reasons. Was really hoping he'd sign with the Yankees.

Was he?  He hit .315 as an Oriole last year with a .963 OPS and hit .273 as a Dodger with .825 OPS.  Very good but nowhere as great. He did hit to his career norms at Dodger Stadium (but not Petco), so maybe it's a combination of NL pitching and larger parks?

1 hour ago, Josean Pelota said:

Was he?  He hit .315 as an Oriole last year with a .963 OPS and hit .273 as a Dodger with .825 OPS.  Very good but nowhere as great. He did hit to his career norms at Dodger Stadium (but not Petco), so maybe it's a combination of NL pitching and larger parks?

I don't think it's fair to hold .315 and .963 OPS as his standard with the Orioles since it's the only time he's really put up those kinds of numbers for them. His numbers with the Dodgers are more in line with what he's done before

3 hours ago, street sharks said:

I don't think it's fair to hold .315 and .963 OPS as his standard with the Orioles since it's the only time he's really put up those kinds of numbers for them. His numbers with the Dodgers are more in line with what he's done before

It isn't and isn't. You're right it's not the career norm. But given his age it might have been an indicator of what he's capable of in a smaller park. 

3 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Anyone with an analysis on this dude?

K rate up 7%.  O swing down 9%.  He’s chasing awful pitches.  He can’t recognize sliders.  If you watch his at bats he’s constantly chasing pitches way out of the zone.  Also he has a .637 OPS at home vs .853 on road.  Clearly pressing and clearly a bad fit for Petco park.  1.237 OPS vs lefties also, .615 OPS vs RHP, which comes back to righties just burying sliders in dirt vs him.  A lot of drastic splits here.  Should be good enough to figure some of this stuff out and salvage the season you’d figure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He's literally been a below-average hitter so far this season. His days of being elite are likely over.

So do I sell asap and get w/e I can in return? 

1 hour ago, Kramjam24 said:

Has he has a day off yet? Maybe some mental rest is much needed 

He gets plenty of mental rest during the games

• Haha 2

And MLB players are angry why owners conspire to prevent these stupid contracts from happening.  Manny Grounders had zero business hitting 300 mil mark.  Now our ticket prices and Coors Lights get jacked up to offset his putrid salary.

• Like 1

We're a little under 1/3 of the way through the season, right?

As disappointing as he's been, he's still in peace for just shy of 30 HRs and probably upper 80s for Rs & RBIs.  The average is hurting.

Certainly disappointing and not what we paid for, but it's not like he's just destroying you.

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

Now our ticket prices and Coors Lights get jacked up to offset his putrid salary.

No they don't.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

And MLB players are angry why owners conspire to prevent these stupid contracts from happening.  Manny Grounders had zero business hitting 300 mil mark.  Now our ticket prices and Coors Lights get jacked up to offset his putrid salary.

Fallacy.

Tickets and concessions prices are set, as they will be in most markets, to maximize profits. Raising prices decreases demand. You are making quite a claim off of 9 weeks of play.

The game is extremely profitable and owners should be spending more, not less. I don't get the siding with billionaire owners who you don't watch vs. the millionaire players who make the game what it is.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

K rate up 7%.  O swing down 9%.  He’s chasing awful pitches.  He can’t recognize sliders.  If you watch his at bats he’s constantly chasing pitches way out of the zone.  Also he has a .637 OPS at home vs .853 on road.  Clearly pressing and clearly a bad fit for Petco park.  1.237 OPS vs lefties also, .615 OPS vs RHP, which comes back to righties just burying sliders in dirt vs him.  A lot of drastic splits here.  Should be good enough to figure some of this stuff out and salvage the season you’d figure. 

This this this this.

Except for the bad fit for petco part.  Not sure there as his approach is such garbage at home I can't even tell. 

Edited by 96mnc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Thanks man. This is why I come here. Holding in a 10 team keep 20 (had him for a couple years) but holy smokes he's been so bad. Here's hoping he figures it out soon! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RotoGenius said:

Fallacy.

Tickets and concessions prices are set, as they will be in most markets, to maximize profits. Raising prices decreases demand. You are making quite a claim off of 9 weeks of play.

The game is extremely profitable and owners should be spending more, not less. I don't get the siding with billionaire owners who you don't watch vs. the millionaire players who make the game what it is.

True, but what did Manny Machado show that says he deserves 300 million dollars?  He spiked players in the playoffs, walked to first, and quite frankly was horrid for the Dodgers in their playoff run.  Just because the owners make a lot of money doesn’t mean they should have to hand out bad contracts.  Now Trout got paid, he deserved it.  Just was making reference to players griping about Machado not getting paid in the offseason.  Didn’t really understand what the gripe was about.  

• Like 1