Dirty Little Birdie

2019 Sleepers / Value Picks

I’m really high on Hampson this year even with the Murphy signing. He should be a great value with his speed and contact skills. I’ll also add Glasnow to the list. I think he has a Snell type breakout year (not Cy Young level, but solid). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tywalson said:

I’m really high on Hampson this year even with the Murphy signing. He should be a great value with his speed and contact skills. I’ll also add Glasnow to the list. I think he has a Snell type breakout year (not Cy Young level, but solid). 

Yeah Murphy will play 1b, so Hampson should be safe. 

So I am going to get under the big "umbrella" of the term sleeper, I know it can mean different things to different people.   I sort of think of it as a hybrid between guys that are being taken pretty late/undervalued, plus you dont hear much discussion on them.  

One of my faves this year is Reynaldo Lopez.  He was a top 30-50 prospect has about 250 innings in the bigs under his belt now and really started to figure things out the last month of the season.  His last 6 starts of the year were 6 straight quality starts.  

40 Innings in those last starts, only gave a total of 5 earned runs.  41K to 11 Walks (5 of which came in 1 outing) which relates to an ERA in the 1's and a sub 1 WHIP over that stretch.  ADP from that I have seen has been really low in early mocks.  Even some of the "expert" mocks, nobody really talking about the close of his season even though they do to pump a guy up like Lester.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Curious if Max Muncy appeared on the 2018 sleeper thread?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Mondesi as a sleeper? That dude is going to be WAY overdrafted in my opinion. People are going to extrapolate his 2018 stats and think he’s going to hit .275 with 20hr and 60sb. No thanks.

To each there own.

23 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Mondesi as a sleeper? That dude is going to be WAY overdrafted in my opinion. People are going to extrapolate his 2018 stats and think he’s going to hit .275 with 20hr and 60sb. No thanks.

Agreed on Mondesi. His ADP is like 50 right now. Lots of risk. I think he CAN have a crazy good year, but at his price he's probably not worth the risk.

• Like 2

Jonathan Villar. Played well after being traded in the second half last year, could play all over the field, and should have the green light with Showalter out of the picture. Yes, the O's are going to be stunningly awful again, but he's locked in to the top third of the lineup, is entering his age 27 season, and has proven capable before. Razzball just wrote him up today, as well: https://razzball.com/jonathan-villar-2019-fantasy-baseball-sleeper/

• Like 7

Willie Calhoun, post hype sleeper.  Hasn't done well in this MLB time to date, might slide through the cracks at the draft.

29 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Jonathan Villar. Played well after being traded in the second half last year, could play all over the field, and should have the green light with Showalter out of the picture. Yes, the O's are going to be stunningly awful again, but he's locked in to the top third of the lineup, is entering his age 27 season, and has proven capable before. Razzball just wrote him up today, as well: https://razzball.com/jonathan-villar-2019-fantasy-baseball-sleeper/

I love Villar. I am thinking about keeping him in one of my keeper leagues.

What are your thoughts on Eduardo Escobar? Is he worth a keeper spot over Wil Myers?

• Like 2

Ya mondesi is going in the first 5 rounds.

villar is basically the same guy going 5-8 rounds later, but the cat will be out of the bag come march.  His adp is already rising 

• Like 4

I think there are sleepers to be found in Milwaukee's starting pitching staff.  Burnes and Woodruff.  Burnes is now scheduled to be a starter in 2019.  I doubt either pitcher will be allowed to pitch deep into games...but if your league does not use QS, both can do an adequate job at providing wins and decent K rate.  Milwaukee probably won't get the same production from Yelich and Aguilar but the offense should be solid enough for run support and they got a lights out bullpen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wubbie075 said:

Not anymore. I was toying with the idea of keeping him, but HATE him in Oakland.

Keeper leagues, I understand, I own him in a daily line-up dynasty league, he was a free agent

last year in a 12 team league, so if he doesn't work out, no biggie, but I have a feeling he will.

Low risk, high reward.

3 hours ago, Wubbie075 said:

Not anymore. I was toying with the idea of keeping him, but HATE him in Oakland.

Oakland has a better line-up to play in than the Rangers.  Texas sucked and will continue to suck.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I’m intrigued by Tyler Glasnow.  200k potential in the 13–14th round.

YES.

• Like 1

Josh James if he wins a rotation spot in Houston. Plenty of strikeout upside - fanned 133 over 92.2 IP in AAA, then 29 over 23 IP in the majors. Can flirt with triple digits on the radar gun.

Trevor May if Minnesota doesn't add a closer. May had a few saves at the end of 2018, and had a 5/36 BB/K over 25 IP after his return from Tommy John.

Edited by rdf8585
  • Like 2

First, I'd bet on Ryan McMahon getting a majority of the 2B at bats in Colorado over Hampson if McMahon's bat shows up this spring. He's more of a sleeper to me than Hampson and offers way more upside if he gets the role.

I think Soler will be extremely undervalued, especially in OBP leagues, if he's healthy and getting full time at bats between the OF and DH.

Ryan O'Hearn was one of the MiLB leaders in exit velocity last year and mashed right handed pitchers. As the strong side of a platoon, he could be sneaky in deep leagues.

Check out Randall Grichuk post June 1 last year. If that was real, he's going to be a steal this year because his defense will keep him on the field.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stubacca22 said:

First, I'd bet on Ryan McMahon getting a majority of the 2B at bats in Colorado over Hampson if McMahon's bat shows up this spring. He's more of a sleeper to me than Hampson and offers way more upside if he gets the role.

I think Soler will be extremely undervalued, especially in OBP leagues, if he's healthy and getting full time at bats between the OF and DH.

Ryan O'Hearn was one of the MiLB leaders in exit velocity last year and mashed right handed pitchers. As the strong side of a platoon, he could be sneaky in deep leagues.

Check out Randall Grichuk post June 1 last year. If that was real, he's going to be a steal this year because his defense will keep him on the field.

What about McMahon makes you feel that way? I struggle to think that he will be more valuable than Hampson if they both got a full year of at bats. Hampson’s steals will give him both a higher floor and a higher ceiling.