Dirty Little Birdie

2019 Sleepers / Value Picks

On the topic of the next snell, it's Eduardo Rodriguez.  First healthy offseason he's ever had.  He's knees are fixed for the first time ever.  He's gonna start painting corners and propel to a top 15 overall starter.

• Like 4

Let's say you guys like having 7 starters - how many of those would you feel safe having as upside picks? Such as Glasnow, Pivetta, Lopez, etc. Two, three?

Edited by street sharks

9 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Let's say you guys like having 7 starters - how many of those would you feel safe having as upside picks? Such as Glasnow, Pivetta, Lopez, etc. Two, three?

I think that depends largely on what the front end of your rotation looks like. If I get two aces I’ll take more gambles and have 3-4 of those guys easily. Kind of getting into strategy a bit so I’ll reel it back in. I like the 3 players you mentioned a lot and would be fine owning all of them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Provided you are someone who remains diligent in free agency and have a solid top few guys to anchor your staff I'm comfortable with 3-4/7 high upside late gambles. It depends on who falls in the middle rounds but in general my strategy is go heavy early and late, starting with safer picks early and transitioning upside picks later.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2019 at 7:18 AM, Slatykamora said:

Jack and Marquez are top 100 players, no? How can they be the next Blake snell?

Snell and Marquez literally did the same thing with Snell doing it in 2017 and Marquez in 2018.  17 Snell wasn't very good until about August then had a low 3's era past that.  Marquez didn't do anything until the ASB basically then pitched to a mid 2's era the rest of the way.  With how much coverage breakouts get now Marquez's ADP has spiked.  That does not preclude him from being the next Snell, which is what the post was before it was merged in with this one for some reason, which was stated several times above.

Ronny Rodriguez SS / 2B ?

Great AAA numbers in 2018. And he changed his swing over the course of the off season. He said he wants to stick in the majors to help his mom. Extra motivated 

Is there something to see there ?

5 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Ronny Rodriguez SS / 2B ?

Great AAA numbers in 2018. And he changed his swing over the course of the off season. He said he wants to stick in the majors to help his mom. Extra motivated 

Is there something to see there ?

Actually I have my eyes on Willi Castro, top 10 Tigers prospect, got from A to AAA last year and is only 21, may be a guy to take a flier on. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

Pitchers:

Wheeler: bomb fastball with 4 offspeed pitches that get swings and misses

Darvish: hitting 97 in ST. Healthy maybe, and hopefully motivated after a dreadful year.

Musgrove: K:BB is elite level

Lucchesi: Pads added Machado to 3b hopefully. Luchessi added a cutter

Matt Strahm: stuff is legit just I'd how many guys in ST?

Reynaldo Lopez: biggest k-rate increaser for this year as he transitions from a thrower to a pitcher. He might even hit 10 k/9

RP

Pedro Strop: just handcuff him with Morrow. There 40 saves. Strop might even keep the job.

Jordan Hicks: cards closer is pretty muddled right now. Is Cmart going to close on return? Does he fill a fireman role instead? Trust the stuff.

C

Contreras price is very reasonable for a guy who just got humbled. Last year he came in thinking he was God's gift to the catcher position. I imagine he's working a little harder this year. Strong St so far.

1B

Jake Bauers: should put up 20/10 with room for more

2B 

Ketel Marte: I liked him last year two, and he had his best season to date. He has a decent chance at 20/20 if he can improve on basestealing ability(he has the speed)

3B

Matt Chapman: your 2019 AL MVP He is going to score a ton of runs and will clear 30 bombs easy

SS

Tim Anderson: He did improve his walk rate substantially last year. Spoiler: it's still bad. But he's trending in the right direction with that improvement

OF

Jesse Winker

Gonna lead the NL in runs this year with a 200 adp. He might even hit 20 homers on a 118-21-75-300/400 line

Austin Meadows

Full time gig. 20/20 280 isn't much of a stretch at all.

Jorge Soler: walks trending up. Hit 9hrs in 61 games with an 820 ops last year. Inury was a toe injury. Adp of 300? 

Feel free to come up with your own laundry list of late round grabs

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

what would that be for fantasy? I know WAR is wins above replacement, but that includes defense which doesn't help for fantasy that only uses offense.

unless it is a straight points league you are going to have to calculate that across all scoring categories;

This is what makes baseball great - because depending upon what you need, a player will be more or less valuable to you than your league mates

I like ERod too. Well worth a pick health permitting. I heard he's been working with Sale on his slider.

1 hour ago, AngryBeavers said:

Braun for where you can get him. 

Really like his price this year considering the clear path to increased PAs with Santana and Broxton gone. His per plate appearance production has still remained at a high level in recent years and he's capable of a 20/10 season in as little as 120 games. If he can stay healthy enough to play 140-150 would you be shocked if he hit 25 HRs and stole 12-15 bags? I also like hearing that he's trying to increase his launch angle and that so far in bp and this spring he's noticed the ball carrying more. 

• Like 1

Asdrubal Cabrera, he is gonna be relatively cheap and will likely perform better than a lot of SS ranked higher than him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AngryBeavers said:

Braun for where you can get him. 

Rather not bother with that headache

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Who takes that leap? That player who takes major leaps and bounds... that 75-150 ranked player or out of nowhere, who becomes a top 20-50 player . My guess... Matt Chapman, Franmil Reyes, Yasuiel Puig Yours?

Edited by erik vulaj

Deep Deep Leauges - Tyler Beede trending up with FB velocity increase to mid-90s. Former 1st round pick - although I care much more about the uptick.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RotoSapien said:

Deep Deep Leauges - Tyler Beede trending up with FB velocity increase to mid-90s. Former 1st round pick - although I care much more about the uptick.

Speaking of guys with an increased FB velocity, Martin Perez for MIN had a flaw in his mechanics fixed and is now throwing 95.

• Like 1

Are the Mets going to start P. Alonso at 1rst this year or does he start in the minors? If Alonso gets sent down, who does take over first base?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Speaking of guys with an increased FB velocity, Martin Perez for MIN had a flaw in his mechanics fixed and is now throwing 95.

I know that it happens, but how does 7 figure players get this far without a pitching coach noticing the flaw? More rhetorical than anything, but how does this happen more and more each year? I understand the arm strengthening and stretching part of it, but hips? That should be a noticeable thing on tape.

• Like 1

Travis Shaw- find another guy who is going to hit 30 bombs at 2B in that draft slot. Mark it 

15 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

Travis Shaw- find another guy who is going to hit 30 bombs at 2B in that draft slot. Mark it 

Moustakas since he's the starter at 2b lol