Dirty Little Birdie

2019 Sleepers / Value Picks

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, yake said:

I think that is old info you are reading.  I would be shocked if he isn't batting 3rd everyday.   

If he's still a piss poor defender and hasn't made major strides in either contact or defense? its whats going to happen until they get rid of Morales. Given that McKinney is a lead-off option by default. I can buy him being a 3 hitter when he is in..but he doesn't fit many places with his current defensive profile.

Especially if Vlad cannot stick to 3B this year. (I think they will give Vladdy his fair share at 3B, but who knows). It's a team with too many defensively challenged hitters IMO. 

If he proves to be the best hitter, they will find a way though. The season will weed this out for us

Edited by Slatykamora

I wish I was in a league with these guys toting love for Lester. I wanted no part of him last 2 years and this year even more so. A couple decent games with extremely low k's and potential to give up 5-7 runs every time he gets the ball.

Give me guys like Strahm, Montas, Josh James, Lucchesi, Peralta any day of the week!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Gotta be a DEEP league, but some of us play in 20+ teamers and league only formats, but I am still keeping an eye on BAL rule5 pick(s) but primarily Drew Jackson. He's played prettay well this ST and there are a ton of ABs for the taking in BAL. He's primarily been at SS and 2B, but also mixed in 3B and every spot in the OF. He's got plenty of swing and miss but also a fantasy friendly combo of speed and pop.

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bronxbombers723 said:

Brantley??

He's batting fourth in the Houston lineup and health concerns aside, seems a safe bet to go 15/10 with a 290 batting average. There should be a touch more excitement here but it's feeling like he's getting the boring veteran tax.

• Like 1

For my fantasy sleepers this year I’m liking Eric Lauer, Jeff McNeil and Brandon Lowe. All young guys with starting jobs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, monkeydad said:

Niko Goodrum sleeper anyone?  Eligible everywhere but CF, pitcher and catcher.

I've brrought him up.  He only has 2B and 1B eligibility in my league though.

35 minutes ago, BCMarch10 said:

For my fantasy sleepers this year I’m liking Eric Lauer, Jeff McNeil and Brandon Lowe. All young guys with starting jobs.

Is Brandon Lowe confirmed to be a starter?

Brandon Lowe is listed as a starter on Roster Resource. He may end up in a platoon but it probably depends on his production. If he continues to mash he will play.

15 minutes ago, BCMarch10 said:

Brandon Lowe is listed as a starter on Roster Resource. He may end up in a platoon but it probably depends on his production. If he continues to mash he will play.

That's what I figured. Pick up now, worry about the situation later.

Spencer Turnbull with another very nice turn today and it appears he will officially make the rotation too.

Though RW blurbers really want you to know he had a 6+ ERA in all of 16 innings in the bigs last year...ya know, the real relevant stuff-

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Gotta be a DEEP league, but some of us play in 20+ teamers and league only formats, but I am still keeping an eye on BAL rule5 pick(s) but primarily Drew Jackson. He's played prettay well this ST and there are a ton of ABs for the taking in BAL. He's primarily been at SS and 2B, but also mixed in 3B and every spot in the OF. He's got plenty of swing and miss but also a fantasy friendly combo of speed and pop.

Based of ST. He's by far the best defender on the team(not sure if that is saying much). Has a cannon arm, lots of raw speed and power. Hit tool has always been his one big question mark.

There is some Keon Broxton kinda upside if he gets the PT and there is argument for his defense to earn said PT during the year. Can pretty much play all over the diamond. Though he could also just be another Taylor Featherston.

Thing is Cedric Mullins has a very weak arm for CF. The Orioles would ideally love him to play LF, where his range alone will make him a plus defender there. If Drew Jackson does hit enough, CF is his best bet or SS if Martin really struggles.  Most of the Orioles OF hitting prospects have a corner OF profile.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

I got deep sleeper who is post hype and an afterthought who is healthy, 26 years young,  in a new place, a new start, feels great, yada, yada

Some quotes from the spring on him...

"_______keeps raking from lead off spot"

"_______big spring continues"

"_______named likely starter at third base"

Any guesses yet?

........Brandon Drury

• Like 1

I have my eyes on Niko Goodrum for his versatility. Could be a good bench piece. 

Ronald Guzman has huge power and plays in the right park, PT should be there as well. I watched him crush a bomb off Carrasco last night. He’s someone I’ll be keeping an eye on early in the season 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For Scooter Gennett owners, Kiki Hernandez could replicate similar numbers since he's been named an everyday starter at 2nd base. Could easily push for 25-30 homers since he hit 21 in 402 at bats last year.

Edited by JetsAwesome
  • Like 3

Raimel Tapia is a post hype sleeper who is out of options and locked onto the Rox roster currently as a 4th OF right now.  Concern would be Hampson getting OF at-bats over him I guess and making him defacto 5th OF, but with Desmond and Dahl in front of him there could be enough opportunity for both.  Besides McMahon's "break out" could not be real. 

43 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Ronald Guzman has huge power and plays in the right park, PT should be there as well. I watched him crush a bomb off Carrasco last night. He’s someone I’ll be keeping an eye on early in the season 

I saw him playing in Dominican Republic, last December-January, and can support that he has a huge power.

what are the thoughts on guys like Marwin Gonzalez, Trey Mancini, Brian Anderson at the end of drafts? 

4 minutes ago, midlip said:

what are the thoughts on guys like Marwin Gonzalez, Trey Mancini, Brian Anderson at the end of drafts? 

I think they all have value--mostly dependent on the set-up of the league...I like Anderson a ton this year, esp for where he seems to go!

Nick Burdi on PIT was a rule 5 pick that will need to stay up with the club at least through May if they want to retain him.  He has looked really good in the spring and is a couple years removed from TJS.  Throws upper 97+ with a hard slider.  Probably starts the season in middle relief but could rack up K's and wind up in higher leverage situations down the road if he sticks.  13:3 K:BB in 9.1 spring innings with a sub-2 ERA

Posted (edited)

Getting Frankie Montas everywhere I can. Already a hard thrower but now added a nasty splitters which could be huge for him and been unhittable in spring. Named no4 starter, could be a big breakout.

Christin Stewart a guy I like in OBP leagues. Walks a lot with power and should get everyday ABs in a decent lineup spot.

Amed Rosario and Odor for 2 mid range players who could take the next steps. Both have a lot of talent and are showing improvements at weakish positions.

FInally Kaleb Smith. Great K rate last year and was breaking through before his injury last year. Back healthy again and will be relied heavily upon, in a big park and has good strikeout stuff so makes for a good back end pitching option.

Edited by swfcdan