Dirty Little Birdie

2019 Sleepers / Value Picks

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, taobball said:

 

How bad is it really? Renfroe, Margot, Reyes full time OF I think is entirely possible.

 

RotoChamp currently has Myers in the OF with Renfroe and Margot. RosterResource has Renfroe, Cordero, and Reyes. 

 

Looks like Cordero, Margot, Renfroe, Reyes, with Jankowski probably getting some PAs. If Villanueva is given any time on the field, will that push Myers into the OF? 

 

It's easy to say that Cordero and Margot fight for CF, leaving LF and RF for Renfroe and Reyes, but Cordero and Margot on the field at the same time would provide a better defensive lineup. I think all four of them end up getting significant ABs, provided they are healthy. 

 

I'm a Reyes fan, especially after the way he played following his second call-up. I'd love to see him get 550 ABs. I'm just not sure it will happen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

 

RotoChamp currently has Myers in the OF with Renfroe and Margot. RosterResource has Renfroe, Cordero, and Reyes. 

 

Looks like Cordero, Margot, Renfroe, Reyes, with Jankowski probably getting some PAs. If Villanueva is given any time on the field, will that push Myers into the OF? 

 

It's easy to say that Cordero and Margot fight for CF, leaving LF and RF for Renfroe and Reyes, but Cordero and Margot on the field at the same time would provide a better defensive lineup. I think all four of them end up getting significant ABs, provided they are healthy. 

 

I'm a Reyes fan, especially after the way he played following his second call-up. I'd love to see him get 550 ABs. I'm just not sure it will happen. 

 

I'm 99% sure Villanueva maybe playing in another country or something. (NPB)

 

I'm proceeding under the notion that Myers is the 3B

 

That leaves Cordero and Jankowski. Jankowski profiles perfectly as a 4th OF. And Margot is the one struggling the most. You mention a defensive line-up, but I think they want some offensive players in there right now, especially if they aren't that bad. 

 

I think this is a scenario where I'm willing to buy skills over roles. I believe in Renfroe and Reyes right now getting close to full-PT. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, taobball said:

 

I'm 99% sure Villanueva maybe playing in another country or something. (NPB)

 

I'm proceeding under the notion that Myers is the 3B

 

That leaves Cordero and Jankowski. Jankowski profiles perfectly as a 4th OF. And Margot is the one struggling the most. You mention a defensive line-up, but I think they want some offensive players in there right now, especially if they aren't that bad. 

 

I think this is a scenario where I'm willing to buy skills over roles. I believe in Renfroe and Reyes right now getting close to full-PT. 

Myers sticking at 3B is the whole thing.

Because no one besides margot /cordero/ jani is playing CF.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Myers sticking at 3B is the whole thing.

Because no one besides margot /cordero/ jani is playing CF.

 

Agreed. But I think they're making organizational decisions with the entire mindset that Myers is the 3B. So I think he plays 3B. I like some of the things the Padres have going on, but they're like two steps behind where I think the Reds are, so they might as well try out the experiment. 

Edited by taobball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

If Villanueva is given any time on the field, will that push Myers into the OF? 

Last I read Villanueva had signed with a Japanese team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Last I read Villanueva had signed with a Japanese team.

 

41 minutes ago, taobball said:

 

I'm 99% sure Villanueva maybe playing in another country or something. (NPB)

 

Good to know. I didn't think he'd really be a threat to Myers, but he certainly won't now. Haha!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending how Free Agency plays out....I like Adam Eaton this year as a 15 HR, 60 RBI, 20 Steal guy for late round money......thats if he decides not to be a glass house. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mpat15 said:

Depending how Free Agency plays out....I like Adam Eaton this year as a 15 HR, 60 RBI, 20 Steal guy for late round money......thats if he decides not to be a glass house. 

 

I don't know how much FA matters. I mean I guess theoretically he could be replaced, but I don't see him staying out of a full time role. He contributes too much to a baseblal team

 

The last point you make is the most apt. Eaton will be a huge asset if he's healthy. But he's a glass house last two years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, taobball said:

 

I don't know how much FA matters. I mean I guess theoretically he could be replaced, but I don't see him staying out of a full time role. He contributes too much to a baseblal team

 

The last point you make is the most apt. Eaton will be a huge asset if he's healthy. But he's a glass house last two years. 

 

I agree, I don't think he out of a role, BUT Robles is waiting in the wings. If Harper would resign....which the longer this goes on the more I lean towards him going back.... I would have to lean towards him getting a day or two off a week with Robles, Soto and Harper there. That said Robles isn't proven.....were just going off what a bunch of scouts say about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Myers likely playing 3B, I dont really see a scenario (other than just a putrid spring) where Reyes isnt a full-time OF.  His splits are kind of funky, last year he killed it vs LHP I think he was like .350, but whats strange is that when you look to see if that was a trend in the minors, his breakout power season of 2017, he hit less than .200 against lefties, he was putrid.  So you hit major league lefties much better than minor league lefties?  Seems like something there might be a little out of whack. 

 

I love Reyes as an OF4-5 on the cheap - my concern with him when I look at his numbers is when I see power numbers like his with a lack of RBI, thats a bit of a red flag for me.   His avg with RISP was putrid, right around .200 and with runners in scoring position and 2 outs, he was like .180.  

 

So needs to turn those numbers around, if you cant hit with runners on you likely are not gonna ever find yourself in a clutch/premium lineup spot.  Hoping just a case of a young guy pressing too much with guys on and as he gets more experience, he will relax in those spots.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Padres just acquired a minor league 3B from the Cubs who was a 20HR 90RBI guy in Vosler and is MLB ready age and they have another kid who plays 1B-3B of their own who put up 20+HR and 90+RBI last year between AA and AAA Ty France.  

 

Is that just getting a little more organizational depth at a position maybe not flush with talent who you are planning to play a guy there who has not played it all that much and missed a lot of time last year due to injury?  

 

Do you see the OF, all of which seem to have some Boom-Bust component to them as a place where if it all went bad, an option could be plugging in someone at 3B and putting Myers back to the OF?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parrothead said:

Myers likely playing 3B, I dont really see a scenario (other than just a putrid spring) where Reyes isnt a full-time OF.  His splits are kind of funky, last year he killed it vs LHP I think he was like .350, but whats strange is that when you look to see if that was a trend in the minors, his breakout power season of 2017, he hit less than .200 against lefties, he was putrid.  So you hit major league lefties much better than minor league lefties?  Seems like something there might be a little out of whack. 

 

I love Reyes as an OF4-5 on the cheap - my concern with him when I look at his numbers is when I see power numbers like his with a lack of RBI, thats a bit of a red flag for me.   His avg with RISP was putrid, right around .200 and with runners in scoring position and 2 outs, he was like .180.  

 

So needs to turn those numbers around, if you cant hit with runners on you likely are not gonna ever find yourself in a clutch/premium lineup spot.  Hoping just a case of a young guy pressing too much with guys on and as he gets more experience, he will relax in those spots.  

Excellent post. I wouldn't worry too much about the RISP though, I believe that stat can be pretty volatile. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, parrothead said:

Do you see the OF, all of which seem to have some Boom-Bust component to them as a place where if it all went bad, an option could be plugging in someone at 3B and putting Myers back to the OF?

 

Are we on the verge of a Rays approach in SD?  That is to say, have a f-ton of guys who can play a f-ton of positions and move them all around until you start winning?  If so I, for one, welcome our new multi-position overlords.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Myers sticks at 3B.  He hates the OF anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I usually like to point out with crowded outfield situations:

 

The best OFers usually play the most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

As I usually like to point out with crowded outfield situations:

 

The best OFers usually play the most. 

 Best players=/=best fantasy players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

 Best players=/=best fantasy players.

 

My only point was if you project Reyes to be the best or second best hitter in than 4 man OF, he's going to play a lot if you're right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brockpapersizer said:

 

My only point was if you project Reyes to be the best or second best hitter in than 4 man OF, he's going to play a lot if you're right. 

My only point is teams play the best baseball players the most. That probably works for Reyes if Myers can stick at 3B.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

My only point is teams play the best baseball players the most. 

 

 

That is what I was implying from my original post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where does Villars ADP end up? I’ve heard a lot of talking up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, taobball said:

Where does Villars ADP end up? I’ve heard a lot of talking up

 

I'm going to guess around 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

 

I'm going to guess around 100.

 

I think it’s going to be more expensive

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, STLSU said:

I think Myers sticks at 3B.  He hates the OF anyway.

He does? Where did you hear that? 

I betcha the team pitching staff rather have him in the outfield since last year at third he had a .934 fielding %. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

saw that after he signed in SD.

was a solid fielder back in 15 and 16 seasons.  He can get back with health.  Remember he had a year off with a "ruptured calf" oh my bad calf tightness so that saves him some wear and tear history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...