countseth

Yasiel Puig 2019 Outlook

Now traded to the Reds, apparently. 

GABP is pretty hitter-friendly. The lineup is pretty good. Puig may benefit from this trade pretty well. 

He may actually be a semi-target of mine, after years of passing on him. 

• Like 2

Puig's my RF on my keeper team and I'm feeling good about his move to CIN. Love that small park. If he gets his AB's I'm thinking 30 HR year for 2019 and his AVG above .270 then it will be a great year indeed. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm hoping he feels a bit pissed off and wants to prove LAD was wrong to trade him.

• Like 1

I own Puig in a dynasty league and I'm pumped for this deal.

Hitter friendly ball park, likely no more platoon, reuniting with his old hitting coach, and on a one year prove it type deal. The power should remain and hopefully he continues to steal bases. 

I have Puig in my dynasty.  Planning for the worst and hoping for the best.  At the end of the day, he's still a headcase. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Great landing spot, but can he handle being on a sub .500 team?

Maybe Puig, Kemp, Wood, and Farmer will help them get back on track.

10 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Great landing spot, but can he handle being on a sub .500 team?

Dude couldn't handle being on a winning team. I hope it's not a trainwreck, but I also hope he makes such a sideshow of things. I've never (in my adult life) laughed at an athlete so much. Remember when he licked his bat? Or said the Dodgers would win it all? Or missed that easy catch in the OF? The list goes on. 

This is great for his fantasy value. The Reds might surprise this year, but Puig should be getting 20/10 as a floor if he plays all year. 

It's crazy that this guy murders RHP and struggles vs. lefties. He's had years in the past where it's been the opposite. If it's just a matter of getting consistent time against LHP then he could be a monster. 

Playing in a hitter friendly park and most importantly he is playing for his next contract to give him some extra motivation.  If he can keep his head in it he should have a good season.

How can dynasty/keeper league owners not be excited for this move?  He hit .267, 23 hr, 15sb's with only 407 AB's and a platoon role.  He should get well above 500 AB's in Cincy which is a much better hitters park than Dodgers.  .270 with 30 hr's and 15-20 steals is not out of the realm.  Dude has the talent is only 28 years old, and in a contract year.  If you have held on to him this long, this should and will be his best season since his rookie breakout.  I could very easily see him finishing top 20 OF with a chance at top 10 if those hamstrings hold up.  Sit back and enjoy the ride

• Like 1

He was always treated as this red-headed stepchild in LA.  Batting 7th a lot.  No surprise they traded him away.  Has amazing potential.  Cincinnati loves to run.  

I am going to target him but I think a lot of people will be on the same page and target him as a post hype sleeper.

This is probably the top Fantasy boost by change of scenery move of the offseason thus far.  We know the ability, now he goes to a team where there are probably less drama and head games.  He can  just be locked into a FT spot in the OF in the middle of the order in a better hitters park, in a better divsion in terms of hitters parks.  Plus they will likely struggle in that division, which sets up a lot of meaningless at-bats.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, parrothead said:

This is probably the top Fantasy boost by change of scenery move of the offseason thus far.  We know the ability, now he goes to a team where there are probably less drama and head games.  He can  just be locked into a FT spot in the OF in the middle of the order in a better hitters park, in a better divsion in terms of hitters parks.  Plus they will likely struggle in that division, which sets up a lot of meaningless at-bats.  

He brings the drama. This is one of those moves where it looks good for his value on paper, but I worry that playing for a lesser team hurts his mental approach,  or lack the of. He's boom or bust. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Homerj24 said:

He brings the drama. This is one of those moves where it looks good for his value on paper, but I worry that playing for a lesser team hurts his mental approach,  or lack the of. He's boom or bust. 

Mental approach is a hard thing to look at with Puig, because he's proven susceptible to it before. But that said, the Reds shouldn't have a bad offense by any means. They were middle of the NL last year and have improved on paper, and have added Tanner Roark and Alex Wood to a barren rotation. 

But more importantly, this is a full-walk year. IMO, if we're talking about motivation involved in Cincinnati, I think Puig is gonna wanna PLAY his way out of Cincinnati if he hates it so much. Puig just turned 28, meaning he'll be a young 29 when looking for employment next year. And while most of his career production occured in the first two years of his career, he's still going to enter FA with somewhere between 18-20 Career WAR and under 30 YO. He'll get a real pretty penny if he turns on a complete year, and continues to hit for power and take walks. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Homerj24 said:

He brings the drama, but I worry that playing for a lesser team hurts his mental approach,  or lack the of. 

Puig is a guy who wants the spotlight, so what better place than on a mediocre/bad team to be the center of attention?  Getting full time AB's, in a contract year, in a great hitters park, this is the perfect situation for this guy.  I wouldn't worry about motivation in the least.  IMO, Puig doesnt care about winning or losing, Puig cares about Puig and the show he can put on.  Cincy fans will love him if he produces, and Puig is going to enjoy the best full season of his career.  Being the center of attention and getting a new contract is the motivation he needs.  After this season and his new contract, who knows

Edited by TheTruth024

4 hours ago, TheTruth024 said:

Puig is a guy who wants the spotlight, so what better place than on a mediocre/bad team to be the center of attention?  Getting full time AB's, in a contract year, in a great hitters park, this is the perfect situation for this guy.  I wouldn't worry about motivation in the least.  IMO, Puig doesnt care about winning or losing, Puig cares about Puig and the show he can put on.  Cincy fans will love him if he produces, and Puig is going to enjoy the best full season of his career.  Being the center of attention and getting a new contract is the motivation he needs.  After this season and his new contract, who knows

Yasiel has been winning ever since his arrival. We don't really know how he'll respond to losing. It's contagious and can really spoil the team morale. He's an emotional guy. Time will tell. I will say that his swing is made for that park. I'm rooting for him. 

Thing on Puig: He hit lefties just fine in 2013-2016.  These last two years he's fell off the map.   Could it be physiological?  Change of scenery may help.  I'm def targeting him this year.

2 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Where would you take him in redrafts?

He's already going 75-100 in most drafts with ADP trending upward. I think this was a great move for him. He can go to smaller market without so much pressure and a new fan base who isn't sick of his antics. Give him 500+ AB's he could easily be a 30 HR, 20 SB, > .270 guy. I'd bite 7th-9th round. 

Edited by bmz0709

8 hours ago, bmz0709 said:

Give him 500+ AB's he could easily be a 30 HR, 20 SB, > .270 guy

1) he's never stolen 20 bases in a season. actually never over 15.

2) he's never hit 30 HR in a season.

3) he hasn't even hit .270 since 2014!

Yet somehow you think if he gets 500 AB's hes "easily" going to do all three? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cs3 said:

1) he's never stolen 20 bases in a season. actually never over 15.

2) he's never hit 30 HR in a season.

3) he hasn't even hit .270 since 2014!

Yet somehow you think if he gets 500 AB's hes "easily" going to do all three? 

Yeah. Never seen a breakout season when players go to new teams, especially in a much more hitter friendly ballpark?

Couldnt be a better example than Yelich last year. He never hit over 21 HR's in a season, yet he hit 36. He never hit over .300, yet he hit .326. I know, amazing players who are in their prime can actually do better than previous years given the right circumstances. 

Edit: I didn't even mention it's a contract year. UFA after 2019, no bigger incentive than that. 

Edited by bmz0709