countseth

Yasiel Puig 2019 Outlook

6 hours ago, smeeze said:

Any word on a suspension?

I'm curious as well. What are the odds he gets suspended? If he does, will he likely be out this week or will he appeal and play this week? I'm in a weekly lineup and can't decide whether or not to sit him.

1 hour ago, PhD Gator said:

I'm curious as well. What are the odds he gets suspended? If he does, will he likely be out this week or will he appeal and play this week? I'm in a weekly lineup and can't decide whether or not to sit him.

100%

He's such an idiot, but he's my idiot dammit.  Get hot soon ManBearPuig

1 hour ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Image result for jon snow gif battle

I was reminded of when Tanner took on the whole 8th grade.  But you win lol

• Like 1

I'm sure we're all pretty disappointed with Puig's showing so far. Looking at his numbers and watching his at bats he just appears to be pressing. His FB% is close to last year, but he's actually increased his LD% while decreasing his GB%. His BABIP is criminally low.

The Plate Discipline numbers show where he's pressing. He's swinging more, and specifically chasing out of the zone more. Think once he settles in things will start to look better.

Tempting matchup but I'd bench for now. 

Puig has always been hot and cold.  I’m riding him everyday as he could get really hot at any moment.  Don’t want to miss that.  It’s only been a week and a half. Let’s have a little patience.

It's getting very tempting to let this guy go in a 10 team league. The talent is there, but his plate discipline has evaporated, and I'm concerned his mental game isn't where it needs to be.

Thru April 24th of last year Puig's triple slash was .195/.256/.244

So far this year it's .164/.186/.299

It's a similarly slow start made worse due to him pressing at the plate, probably due to being on a new team. 

Thru April 24th of last year he had an O-Swing of 28.8% , this year currently it sits at 42.3%. His overall Swing% last year at this time sat at 46.4%, currently it sits 60.6%. SwStr sees a similar pattern, last year 8.9%, this year 16.9%. 

He's simply pressing at the plate, gotta give him time. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, djmax101 said:

It's getting very tempting to let this guy go in a 10 team league. The talent is there, but his plate discipline has evaporated, and I'm concerned his mental game isn't where it needs to be.

Gonna regret that move. We're in April. May, June, July, August, September are still ahead

• Like 2

2 hours ago, djmax101 said:

It's getting very tempting to let this guy go in a 10 team league.

You do that... 

There were stories from reputable writers that Puig could be an MVP candidate.  I paid a premium for him, and though it sucks watching him bat .150, there's far too much upside to drop.  Selling low might not be smart either.  Nick Senzel will be with the Reds soon, and his bat could help Puig and others in the lineup.

The whole Reds lineup has been a major disappointment plus Scooter getting hurt didnt help. I think theyre dead last in OBP which is a surprise given who they have. Gotta think better days are ahead.

Puig has swung at 60.6% of pitches he's seen as of this post.  That's tied for the highest swing rate in baseball thus far (Jonathan Schoop also at 60.6%).  His previous high was 53.3% in his rookie season.

I think he is so anxious to prove himself after being traded and on a new team.  If he can settle down and be more selective, the numbers will be there by season end.  The only concern I have is if his struggles so far make him press even harder.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, djmax101 said:

I pondered for awhile and unfortunately had to cut him loose last week. There was just way too much talent on the wire to just continue to wait. Good luck though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Puig has swung at 60.6% of pitches he's seen as of this post.  That's tied for the highest swing rate in baseball thus far (Jonathan Schoop also at 60.6%).  His previous high was 53.3% in his rookie season.

I think he is so anxious to prove himself after being traded and on a new team.  If he can settle down and be more selective, the numbers will be there by season end.  The only concern I have is if his struggles so far make him press even harder.

This is my concern. If you watch him, he's up there hacking. Hopefully the hitting coaches can help him calm down.

1 minute ago, quietj said:

I pondered for awhile and unfortunately had to cut him loose last week. There was just way too much talent on the wire to just continue to wait. Good luck though.

Seems crazy -- what size league?

Obviously, it is league dependent so we can't critique others moves without knowing the full story.  I simply have him on my bench until it gets better.

• Like 1

Just now, boomzdaddy said:

Obviously, it is league dependent so we can't critique others moves without knowing the full story.  I simply have him on my bench until it gets better.

I mean, is it really?  Would you say that if someone dropped Betts just because he started off hitting .200 after 19 games (he did).

Sometimes crazy is just crazy....

Dropping Puig is an idiotic move.  If you are dropping Puig you better be willing to drop Jose Ramirez who is playing worse by the way.  There are plenty of players that start slow and the numbers will be there.  Were you dropping Goldy at this time last season?  Are you dropping Rizzo too?

Making moves like that is why some players win and others look back on really stupid roster decisions in July.

• Like 1