countseth

Yasiel Puig 2019 Outlook

I personally don't think cutting Puig in a 10 teamer is crazy. Half the reason his value was so high to start the season was the talented lineup around him. With Scooter out, Kemp out and Votto playing like s---, Puigs value definitely takes a hit. Obviously his talent in that ballpark might be worth holding on to despite the slow start but when you have potential breakout candidates raking on the WW it makes it tough to hold guys who guys who A)Aren't a lock to produce and B)Are currently sucking. Puig is no top 25 guy who is a shoe in to have a great year. 

All this being said, I own Puig in 2 out of 3 10 team leagues and I wont be dropping for anyone anytime soon. I also dont blame anyone for doing the opposite. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I personally don't think cutting Puig in a 10 teamer is crazy. Half the reason his value was so high to start the season was the talented lineup around him. With Scooter out, Kemp out and Votto playing like s---, Puigs value definitely takes a hit. Obviously his talent in that ballpark might be worth holding on to despite the slow start but when you have potential breakout candidates raking on the WW it makes it tough to hold guys who guys who A)Aren't a lock to produce and B)Are currently sucking. Puig is no top 25 guy who is a shoe in to have a great year. 

All this being said, I own Puig in 2 out of 3 10 team leagues and I wont be dropping for anyone anytime soon. I also dont blame anyone for doing the opposite. 

I'd be surprised if there isn't one team in the league looking to buy him in a trade.  A drop seems really extreme.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'd be surprised if there isn't one team in the league looking to buy him in a trade.  A drop seems really extreme.

Yes, a move via trade would make much more sense if someone is looking to get rid of him. Chances are someone is willing to take a chance on him. That being said, In a 10 team league with shallow bench spots its tough to leave guys like Yandy Diaz/Clint Frazier/Jason Heyward/Vogelbach on the wire the way they're playing right now. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

11 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

I mean, is it really?  Would you say that if someone dropped Betts just because he started off hitting .200 after 19 games (he did).

Sometimes crazy is just crazy....

Mookie has shown that he can be one of the top 5 players in all of baseball, Puig has a 162 game average of 24 homers and 72 RBI's.  He also rarely plays a full season.   I wouldn't drop him but I don't think I could call somebody crazy if they could pick up somebody like a Christian Walker or Hunter Dozier who could surpass Puig's average numbers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, boomzdaddy said:

Mookie has shown that he can be one of the top 5 players in all of baseball, Puig has a 162 game average of 24 homers and 72 RBI's.  He also rarely plays a full season.   I wouldn't drop him but I don't think I could call somebody crazy if they could pick up somebody like a Christian Walker or Hunter Dozier who could surpass Puig's average numbers.

I don't see Dozier or Walker stealing 15 bases

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

Seems crazy -- what size league?

10 team H2H, not that crazy.

4 minutes ago, quietj said:

10 team H2H, not that crazy.

Hard to imagine that he's not going to be a top 50 OF option the rest of the way.  But giving up on guys in April is a fantasy tradition that I support, makes it easier to win leagues ;)

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, boomzdaddy said:

Precisely my point, Christian Walker was who I snagged up (him and Frazier). I’ve been doing this for several years and to me at some point you have to be honest and ask yourself realistically what will Puig’s numbers look like? Are there players on the wire I feel will match or surpass his numbers? If that answer is yes then proceed. 

I’ve always liked Puig but the guy is just too emotional and is a hacker at heart. He has all the talent in the world but falls short between the ears IMO. 

Edited by quietj

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

Hard to imagine that he's not going to be a top 50 OF option the rest of the way.  But giving up on guys in April is a fantasy tradition that I support, makes it easier to win leagues ;)

I fully agree with that notion but Puig hasn’t proven to be an elite talent that I consider in that category. In a 10 team H2H league .260 25HR hitters are a dime a dozen.

He’d still be in LA if he weren’t such a head case. He’s proving that the Dodgers knew what they were doing by getting rid of him.

Edited by quietj

6 minutes ago, quietj said:

I fully agree with that notion but Puig hasn’t proven to be an elite talent that I consider in that category. In a 10 team H2H league .260 25HR hitters are a dime a dozen.

He’d still be in LA if he weren’t such a head case. He’s proving that the Dodgers knew what they were doing by getting rid of him.

Seems quite disingenuous to leave out the steals.  

9 players hit .260 with 23 HR and 15 steals last year:

Jose Ramirez, Betts, Story, Lindor, Trout, Yelich, Baez, Acuna, and Puig.

Calling that skill set a dime a dozen is a bit silly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kenag122002 said:

Seems quite disingenuous to leave out the steals.  

9 players hit .260 with 23 HR and 15 steals last year:

Jose Ramirez, Betts, Story, Lindor, Trout, Yelich, Baez, Acuna, and Puig.

Calling that skill set a dime a dozen is a bit silly.

It all depends on your league size and even so 15 steals still don’t justify holding him in a 10 team H2H league. Hell the way he’s playing now you’ll be missing out on some of those steals because he’ll be firmly sitting in your bench.

To each his own though but I do hope he turns it around.

Puig has always been inconsistent and hard to figure out. He’s had inverse platoon splits, weird batting order splits, and just general streakiness. He will tease you and then let you down. But, at the end of the season, he still produces very useful fantasy numbers.

My rule is never to buy into either extreme. Will he ever produce that elite season we dream of? Probably not. Is he going to bounce back from his current slump? Probably. He’s a good buy low or certainly waiver pickup.

2 minutes ago, quietj said:

It all depends on your league size and even so 15 steals still don’t justify holding him in a 10 team H2H league. Hell the way he’s playing now you’ll be missing out on some of those steals because he’ll be firmly sitting in your bench.

To each his own though but I do hope he turns it around.

Again, it's not the 15 steals.  It's the entire package.

You referenced that the skillset was a dime a dozen.  Clearly it isn't, only the elite bats can put up those numbers.  Less than 1 per team in a 10 team league.

But he started off extremely slow last year too, so why would you even have him if you weren't ready for that start?

1 hour ago, Jvanspro said:

Dropping Puig is an idiotic move.  If you are dropping Puig you better be willing to drop Jose Ramirez who is playing worse by the way.  There are plenty of players that start slow and the numbers will be there.  Were you dropping Goldy at this time last season?  Are you dropping Rizzo too?

Making moves like that is why some players win and others look back on really stupid roster decisions in July.

I mean this post is idiotic... Ramirez and Rizzo have fantastic track records. Puig has one season that was I’d say above average. Big difference. I agree not to be rash and drop Puig 3 weeks in over such a long season, however. 

2 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I mean this post is idiotic... Ramirez and Rizzo have fantastic track records. Puig has one season that was I’d say above average. Big difference. I agree not to be rash and drop Puig 3 weeks in over such a long season, however. 

No one's post is idiotic, lets get away from that.  But Puig was "above average" for fantasy purposes in 2013, 2014, 2017, and 2018

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ryansm11 said:

Its like I said several posts ago, you just can not consider Puig in same category as the other players named. He just does not have the same track record period. There’s a lot of hype behind Puig that has never materialized and who knows if it ever will. 

Just now, quietj said:

Its like I said several posts ago, you just can not consider Puig in same category as the other players named. He just does not have the same track record period. There’s a lot of hype behind Puig that has never materialized and who knows if it ever will. 

Never materialized... I... guess.... You know, other than being a top 10 speed/power combo the last two years. 

13 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

No one's post is idiotic, lets get away from that.  But Puig was "above average" for fantasy purposes in 2013, 2014, 2017, and 2018

That was rude of me, my apologies. He just simply isn’t a top 25 fantasy stud like the other guys mentioned. If he is tanking your team I think there is nothing wrong with dropping or trying to trade him. Same with Jesus Aguilar. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

Never materialized... I... guess.... You know, other than being a top 10 speed/power combo the last two years. 

You just don’t get it, his talent has never materialized and no one should have to explain that to you. He was once a late first round/early second round draft pick that morphed into a platoon player that the Dodgers traded away for peanuts. Stop acting like has half of the Yelich’s, Trout’s and Betts players that you named cause he’s not.

Heck he’s not even 87% owned in Yahoo and I’m sure half the leagues aren’t even being managed.

Edited by quietj

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, quietj said:

You just don’t get it, his talent has never materialized and no one should have to explain that to you. He was once a late first round/early second round draft pick that morphed into a platoon player that the Dodgers traded away for peanuts. Stop acting like has half of the Yelich’s, Trout’s and Betts players that you named cause he’s not.

Heck he’s not even 87% owned in Yahoo and I’m sure half the leagues aren’t even being managed.

Heh, okay sure, I don't get it.  That must be it!  Quality feedback, how can I argue with that logic?

I named those players based on the hard numbers, did you have a problem with them?  Was one of the names wrong?  Did I stutter?

Back to reality, is there fundamental data that you want to cite as to why the .196 BABIP is going to maintain when he's had a .315 BABIP over 2835 ABs?

Edited by kenag122002

Just now, kenag122002 said:

Heh, okay sure, I don't get it.  That must be it!  Quality feedback, how can I argue with that logic?

I named those players based on the hard numbers, did you have a problem with them.  Did I stutter?

Back to reality, is there fundamental data that you want to cite as to why the .196 BABIP is going to maintain when he's had a .315 BABIP over 2835 ABs?

3 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

I named those players based on the hard numbers, did you have a problem with them.  Did I stutter?

You’re seriously missing the forrest through the trees. Scream BABIP all you want so what it corrects itself and he’s a .260 hitter (whoop-d-do). With Puig he’s his worst enemy and his primary problem is between the ears (is incapable of turning it off). It’ll always be something with him. That’s why he morphed into a platoon player, why the Dodgers consistently dropped him in the order, why he was traded for peanuts and on and on and on. His head is the fundamental reasoning behind everything with him (plain and simple). 

3 minutes ago, quietj said:

You’re seriously missing the forrest through the trees. Scream BABIP all you want so what it corrects itself and he’s a .260 hitter (whoop-d-do). With Puig he’s his worst enemy and his primary problem is between the ears (is incapable of turning it off). It’ll always be something with him. That’s why he morphed into a platoon player, why the Dodgers consistently dropped him in the order, why he was traded for peanuts and on and on and on. His head is the fundamental reasoning behind everything with him (plain and simple). 

Got it, you don't want to provide any data to support your position.  Color me uninterested in your contribution, but carry on!

Anyone dropping Puig, just be prepared for someone else in your league to put in a claim for him. It would be a dumb drop. He's averaged 25/15 his last two seasons, and that includes last season in which he only had 444 PAs. He's never shown to be anything less than a .260 hitter (has had a couple seasons of .296+). He's 28 years old, and in a way better ballpark than LA. Maybe he doesn't have the dream season people hoped for going to Cinci in a contract year, but there's no reason to even consider dropping him right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Fwiw if just one or two managers claim him that doesn't say much about his value.

Depends on the other managers...