countseth

Yasiel Puig 2019 Outlook

9 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Fwiw if just one or two managers claim him that doesn't say much about his value.

Well he doesnt have much value right now with the way he's started the season.

He’s changing that...have patience...

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

He’s changing that...have patience...

Right on que!!!

Amazing, it's like players regress to their true talent level and don't continue hitting .170 when they are .260 hitters.  Who would have thought??

14 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Well he doesnt have much value right now with the way he's started the season.

If you are playing a retro league that only counts stats accumulated so far that's definitely true.

Otherwise.  No... not true at all.

5 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

If you are playing a retro league that only counts stats accumulated so far that's definitely true.

If anything - the law of averages would make him a great trade target. From the look of this thread, and people talking about dropping him outright, you could potentially get him for pennies on the dollar from some owner who's down on him, and then reap the benefits when these things average out, as they tend to do.

6 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

I wasnt trying to be negative. All Puig owners can to do its be patient. I wouldnt drop him for a flavor of the week hitter.

• Haha 1

This guy is a bum. I dont know why he is so highly owned. He is going to keep being horrible.

(Trying to do the reverse jinx)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrfrood said:

This guy is a bum. I dont know why he is so highly owned. He is going to keep being horrible.

(Trying to do the reverse jinx)

Ya, he was so overrated coming into the season. The next Yelich my a**

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

I don't see Dozier or Walker stealing 15 bases

Walker has more SB’s nearly a month into the season. I actually own all three of these guys and again, depends on the league. 

In H2H, I don’t think 15 stolen bases in a 30 week season matters much but 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, boomzdaddy said:

Walker has more SB’s nearly a month into the season. I actually own all three of these guys and again, depends on the league. 

In H2H, I don’t think 15 stolen bases in a 30 week season matters much but 🤷‍♂️ 

It's not a ton, but there's not many players that can get you 15 steals without dragging you down in other categories.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

It's not a ton, but there's not many players that can get you 15 steals without dragging you down in other categories.

You are correct sir.  That's a huge part of it.  If you draft several guys with 15 steals it keeps you from drafting rabbits that drag down your power and average (or obp) and runs and rbi, etc.  I didn't know this was such a hard concept for some in this thread to grasp.  Steals are down (~10% fewer steals now than there were just 5 years ago).  Every steal is worth more in a relative sense than it has been in the past.

1 hour ago, boomzdaddy said:

Walker has more SB’s nearly a month into the season.

Surely you jest.  That's called data variance. 

Christian Walker is 28 years old - he has fewer steals in his professional career (minors + mlb) than Puig has in his last 521 AB.  Using April numbers in this fashion is a joke.  Come on...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

Christian Walker is 28 years old - he has fewer steals in his professional career (minors + mlb) than Puig has in his last 521 AB.  Using April numbers in this fashion is a joke.  Come on...

Nah man, Walker has never stolen more than 5 bases at any level in the minors because he's been saving his wheels for the show.  At 6'0, 220 the guy is a burner

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kenag122002 said:

I jest, I admit 🙋‍♂️.  I am a firm Puig holder but I still don't think it's a big deal to drop him for someone else because of 15 steals. 

10 minutes ago, boomzdaddy said:

I jest, I admit 🙋‍♂️.  I am a firm Puig holder but I still don't think it's a big deal to drop him for someone else because of 15 steals. 

IMO, 25 HR + 15 SB is roughly equivalent to 40-45 HR and 0 SB.  It is pretty meaningful.

• Like 1

So this is basically another Jesus Aguilar situation right? Is everyone holding tight or is there a metric that shows deep concern for his ROS outlook. 

He looked terrible again today.

Probably pressing to try to catch that big contract. He has had some trouble but the steals and RBIs are looking good at least. Hopefully he will go on a hot streak soon.

8 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Lol it's May 2nd

It's a nice thing to keep in mind, but with that, I also like to think that while you can't win your league on May 2nd, you can sure as hell lose it when you're waiting on a couple of guys to get going.  Puig and JoRam and Nola are all guys I've been saying that about this year, but that is my Picks from rounds 1, 3, and 6.  There's a point where you can't wait beyond 5 weeks.

• Like 1