countseth

Yasiel Puig 2019 Outlook

On 1/25/2019 at 12:41 PM, StevieStats said:

To be honest I'm pretty shocked at this thread so far... now don't get me wrong,  I like his talent, I LOVE his landing spot... but is everyone conveniently forgetting his constant nagging injuries? His rollercoaster swoon and binges? 

I'm reading through and it's as if everyone is casually projecting 600+ PA just because he's starting in Cinci and LA was holding Puig's playing time back artificially... have you forgotten his lack of playing time was also more thsn half his own fault? The DL stints, the constant nagging injuries needing rest, and most of all his horrible swoons where he is shown the bench due to performance?

Did you guys really trick yourselves into thinking it didn't work out for him LA because management had it out for him and didn't want a successful 270+, 30+ HR hitter in the middle of their line up?

Yeah, he's out of the crowded LA OF, and going to be relied upon in Cinci, but that doesnt erase his persistent DL stints and maintence days, and it certainly doesnt erase his swoons. Maybe it pulls together for him health-wise and maybe he's able to progress through his struggles to be more consistent, but to ignore this things and just extrapolate out his averages as if he's likely to be healthy is a big mistake.

The same risks tgat have always plagued him follow him. He wasn't a disappointment in fantasy due to LA, it always was because of himself - his health and inconsistency.

I'm going to quote myself from January 25th...

...this is was Puig does, he goes into swoon, he gets streaky... he also has massive hit streaks... the difference is in LA they'd bench him by now, but in Cinci he's got the leash to keep running out there and not produce. 

If you were expecting a different player because his hat went from blue to red, that's on you.

I own a share in one league and he's been sitting on the pine. He'll stay there until I see him start to turn the corner. I just hope we get a hot streak before his injury. 

Three games in a row with a steal and a homer tonight. Heating up!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigpinero said:

Three games in a row with a steal and a homer tonight. Heating up!

Against the Giants though. I will be optimistic when he does that vs a better team...

• Haha 1

Ugh just so frustrating. Anything he's done this season he's done from my bench. Everytime I think he's turned the corner and get him into my lineup he goes 0fer. Don't worry though i'll be putting him back on the bench now and he'll surely start raking 

Contract year and playing like a nincompoop

He should stop being with Jose Iglesias in the sauna (instagram) and start focusing on his game. 

Not worried at all, home runs and steals have been solid, just needs to get his average up. Unless you think he'll finish the year batting 220 just stay patient. Reds as a whole have been struggling they should heat up soon 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Contract year and playing like a nincompoop

He should stop being with Jose Iglesias in the sauna (instagram) and start focusing on his game. 

Id hoped to see him heating up more by now, but he is a notorious slow starter with March/April being by far his worst month over career splits. Hes doing better in May than those months ,but the bar set in March/April was a .192 avg so its hard not to. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Is there a more frustrating player to own?

Frustrating, but should be worth it with the stolen bases and potential boost from his home park.