Sign in to follow this  
2ndCitySox

Yu Darvish 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2019 at 7:49 PM, bradwatson said:

Derek Rodriguez can give you a great ERA but he's going to kill you in Ks.

I think he's been a bit unlucky and his K-rate may tick upwards.  Thinking about adding him in my PCL-only AAA league. 

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2019 at 6:33 PM, Overlord said:

I think he's been a bit unlucky and his K-rate may tick upwards.  Thinking about adding him in my PCL-only AAA league. 

You should not wait any longer.

I gotta see another good outing (preferably 2 in a row) before I'm ready to even consider plugging this guy back in, he's murdered my WHIP this year. 

Well... this idiot has a longer leash now. I will tighten that thing right back up if he pulls some dumb a** shenanigans his next start.

• Like 1

To those who watched the game, how did he look? Were the strikeouts a benefit of his stuff playing to its level, bad Reds hitting, or a combination of both?

I saw the 0 in the walks column which is obviously a nice sign regardless. Wish he was a little more efficient, but I don't think that will ever truly happen.

Each batter put up a fight with and went into deep counts but Darvish was able to hit spots creating all those Ks. A good amount looking too. Almost got that QS. He did a great job suppressing Reds bats.

14 minutes ago, Zeezee said:

Each batter put up a fight with and went into deep counts but Darvish was able to hit spots creating all those Ks. A good amount looking too. Almost got that QS. He did a great job suppressing Reds bats.

Didn't get the QS. Only 5.1 IP.

1 hour ago, Deke said:

Right.. where in my post does it say he got the QS? 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Deke said:

I'll take 5.1 IP 2 ER 11K and a sub 1 whip from Darvish every start with a smile. He is capable of better and probably has top 10 stuff among all SPs, but clearly struggles to put it together on the mound at times.

Very encouraging start last week, but now he gets a home start against the Phils w/ Arrieta back in Chicago... Curious if you guys are brave enough to roll him out there.. I'm finding it hard to convince myself. Just feels like I need to see more than 1 good start in order to trust this WHIP killer.. Upside is there though. 

Posted (edited)

I need 3 good starts from him. Which for me, is for him to issue less than 3 walks. Everything else will fall into place if he can just limit the baserunners

Edited by arthurpete

Fun matchup... Yu vs. Arrieta. What the Cubs could have had vs. what they chose.

13 minutes ago, nlm said:

Fun matchup... Yu vs. Arrieta. What the Cubs could have had vs. what they chose.

This narrative is pissing me off lol, it adds another dynamic to figuring out whether to start him or not. 

1 hour ago, arthurpete said:

I need 3 good starts from him. Which for me, is for him to issue less than 3 walks. Everything else will fall into place if he can just limit the baserunners

Honest question and not intended to be snarky, but if you need to see 3 good starts in a row in order the start a guy, why even roster him?  I'd probably just drop a guy if I was that far out from even considering starting him.

11 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Honest question and not intended to be snarky, but if you need to see 3 good starts in a row in order the start a guy, why even roster him?  I'd probably just drop a guy if I was that far out from even considering starting him.

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read that. And especially with a guy like Darvish, who has always been a little up and down in his career. He could easily go 3 straight great starts and then get absolutely bombed. You then missed the 3 great starts and took one on the chin.

I would just drop him if that was my line of thinking for him.

I'd personally like to see one more good start with minimal walks before I start throwing him out there. This start against a good lineup should be telling. You gotta be encouraged by last week but in no way do I feel confident about him going forward just because he beat a garbage offense like Cincinnati. He can single handedly destroy your ratios for the week. 

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

14 team Roto leagues, both with a GS cap of 160 and 35+ man rosters. There arent many high upside guys like YU on the WW so im not going to drop him. 

51 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read that. And especially with a guy like Darvish, who has always been a little up and down in his career. He could easily go 3 straight great starts and then get absolutely bombed. You then missed the 3 great starts and took one on the chin.

I would just drop him if that was my line of thinking for him.

Im not looking for "great" starts, i just want to see him limit the walks, plus like i stated above....im under a GS limit so i can be a bit more patient with him.

Philly is 2nd in walk rate vs righties this year. Over/under 4.5 walks today?