Sign in to follow this  
2ndCitySox

Yu Darvish 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Philly is 2nd in walk rate vs righties this year. Over/under 4.5 walks today?

Over. Thanks for this, he's a 100% sit for me at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Philly is 2nd in walk rate vs righties this year. Over/under 4.5 walks today?

 

 

ill take the under....he has figured out he cant control his FB.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

Over. Thanks for this, he's a 100% sit for me at this point. 

Yeah, it’s a pretty good offense that doesn’t chase a lot (team o-swing percentage that ranks 23rd) and draws a lot of walks. On paper this looks like a recipe for trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arthurpete said:

 

14 team Roto leagues, both with a GS cap of 160 and 35+ man rosters. There arent many high upside guys like YU on the WW so im not going to drop him. 

 

Im not looking for "great" starts, i just want to see him limit the walks, plus like i stated above....im under a GS limit so i can be a bit more patient with him.

 

 

That's fair.  Was just curious.

 

Although man, you have to go back to like July of '17 to find 3 consecutive good starts out of the guy.  Back to probably April/May of that year to find 4 good starts in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

 

That's fair.  Was just curious.

 

Although man, you have to go back to like July of '17 to find 3 consecutive good starts out of the guy.  Back to probably April/May of that year to find 4 good starts in a row.

He really didnt pitch in 2018 and looking back at 17, he wasnt bad at all post July....a 11.05 K/9, 2.36 BB/9  and a 3.38 FIP from August onward, which i would gladly take. But thats kind of how we drafted Yu though. We were taking that chance on him possibly returning to old Yu form. I think the focus has somehow been on "good or great" starts when all i was looking for is the walk rate, ie control to be more consistent. To me, when that stabilizes (if it does) ill feel more comfortable riding him through his ups and downs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was good tonight. He was dominant for 5 innings but got a little wild and unlucky in the 6th, which makes the scoreline look worse than he actually performed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next start will be at home against Cincy. Definitely confident enough to give him a start in that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bradwatson said:

He was good tonight. He was dominant for 5 innings but got a little wild and unlucky in the 6th, which makes the scoreline look worse than he actually performed.

 

This is a fair assessment, but this is a $20 million pitcher we're trying to make excuses for.  I really like Darvish, and want to see him succeed, but I have been trying to see the glass half full since his 2nd half of 2017 and I'm ready to just accept that this is what he is now.

 

Last night, in the 6th:

- Walked McCutchen on 5 pitches.

- Got Segura to hit a ground ball but he just beat it out (ruled that way anyway).

- Then Segura steals 2nd without a throw.  Not paying attention to the runner.

- Gets Harper 0-2, then throws 4 straight balls, the final of which a non-competitive fastball that missed by 3 feet.

- Later, Realmuto singled & scored Segura. Then Hernandez hits a "triple" to right where it bounces of the top of the padding along the foul line in the right field corner.

 

Darvish was at 60 pitches going into the 6th inning.  I don't understand how a pitcher this talented starts getting wild after 60 pitches.  And by wild I mean throwing pitches where the announcers actually say "woah" because they are either in the dirt 5 feet in front of the plate or in the other batters box.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

 

This is a fair assessment, but this is a $20 million pitcher we're trying to make excuses for.  I really like Darvish, and want to see him succeed, but I have been trying to see the glass half full since his 2nd half of 2017 and I'm ready to just accept that this is what he is now.

 

Last night, in the 6th:

- Walked McCutchen on 5 pitches.

- Got Segura to hit a ground ball but he just beat it out (ruled that way anyway). 

- Then Segura steals 2nd without a throw.  Not paying attention to the runner.

- Gets Harper 0-2, then throws 4 straight balls, the final of which a non-competitive fastball that missed by 3 feet.

- Later, Realmuto singled & scored Segura. Then Hernandez hits a "triple" to right where it bounces of the top of the padding along the foul line in the right field corner.

 

Darvish was at 60 pitches going into the 6th inning.  I don't understand how a pitcher this talented starts getting wild after 60 pitches.  And by wild I mean throwing pitches where the announcers actually say "woah" because they are either in the dirt 5 feet in front of the plate or in the other batters box.

Yeah I'm not saying he got screwed or anything, just saying he was a bit unlucky and it was an encouraging start considering his performance to date. I think many people are on the fence on whether or not to start him or even drop him so they want to hear how he's performing if they can't watch, and just looking at a box score doesn't really do it justice sometimes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here the important thing is that it has been improving in the last two games. Before, he had problems in the first inning.

Take into account that yesterday was a complicated lineup, they have a BB% of 10.6% being four in the big leagues (Cubs, Redsox and Dodgers tied in the first position with 10.7%).

And if it is a pitcher who earns many millions a year but as everyone must make his readjustments, therefore, in my opinion, very good progress.

Edited by ramox15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

 

This is a fair assessment, but this is a $20 million pitcher we're trying to make excuses for.  I really like Darvish, and want to see him succeed, but I have been trying to see the glass half full since his 2nd half of 2017 and I'm ready to just accept that this is what he is now.

 

Last night, in the 6th:

- Walked McCutchen on 5 pitches.

- Got Segura to hit a ground ball but he just beat it out (ruled that way anyway).

- Then Segura steals 2nd without a throw.  Not paying attention to the runner.

- Gets Harper 0-2, then throws 4 straight balls, the final of which a non-competitive fastball that missed by 3 feet.

- Later, Realmuto singled & scored Segura. Then Hernandez hits a "triple" to right where it bounces of the top of the padding along the foul line in the right field corner.

 

Darvish was at 60 pitches going into the 6th inning.  I don't understand how a pitcher this talented starts getting wild after 60 pitches.  And by wild I mean throwing pitches where the announcers actually say "woah" because they are either in the dirt 5 feet in front of the plate or in the other batters box.

 

He probably should have come out once he walked Harper.  I watched most of the game as I own Darvish and have been trying to pay attention to his televised starts whenever possible.  His stuff has looked good when I've seen him pitch.  His problem has been command of his pitches.  That almost double play would have been huge.  I said to myself when the call was upheld on replay that the inning was going to change now.  Surely enough it did.   He was cruising to that point too.  Oh well.  It was encouraging at least to see him pitch so well till that point, especially after his last start.  It could very well be that he's righting the ship and getting a better feel for his stuff with each start.  I say could be because the lack of command is still there.  It's just improving from before.  If he can get it right and stay healthy he's going to be a force on that team, and in fantasy.  We're talking SP1 level potential here.  His stuff is that good imo, or can be.  Of course the flip side is more walks and wild outings.  I'm encouraged tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s starting to look like arthurpete may be benching Yu all season.  It’s hard to imagine this version of Yu walking two or less for three straight starts.

Edited by BMcP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

It’s starting to look like arthurpete may be benching Yu all season.  It’s hard to imagine this version of Yu walking two or less for three straight starts.

 

It was suppose to read 3 or less walks, which is roughly a sub 4 BB/9, i cant afford anything over that in roto. Regardless we are at back to back promising starts with Cincy @ Wrigley on deck, then @STL. I think its a start>sit for me unless he is lights out against the reds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darvish has pitched much better his last 2 starts. Throwing more strikes, challenging batters, and less walks. Let's see what happens in his next few starts. Hopefully, he's finding his groove now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

 

This is a fair assessment, but this is a $20 million pitcher we're trying to make excuses for.  I really like Darvish, and want to see him succeed, but I have been trying to see the glass half full since his 2nd half of 2017 and I'm ready to just accept that this is what he is now.

 

Last night, in the 6th:

- Walked McCutchen on 5 pitches.

- Got Segura to hit a ground ball but he just beat it out (ruled that way anyway).

- Then Segura steals 2nd without a throw.  Not paying attention to the runner.

- Gets Harper 0-2, then throws 4 straight balls, the final of which a non-competitive fastball that missed by 3 feet.

- Later, Realmuto singled & scored Segura. Then Hernandez hits a "triple" to right where it bounces of the top of the padding along the foul line in the right field corner.

 

Darvish was at 60 pitches going into the 6th inning.  I don't understand how a pitcher this talented starts getting wild after 60 pitches.  And by wild I mean throwing pitches where the announcers actually say "woah" because they are either in the dirt 5 feet in front of the plate or in the other batters box.

 

Agreed. He gave up 3 runs and issued 3 walks in 6 innings and people are celebrating that performance. That says it all about Yu Darvish circa 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ace_King said:

 

Agreed. He gave up 3 runs and issued 3 walks in 6 innings and people are celebrating that performance. That says it all about Yu Darvish circa 2019.

He’s clearly turning corner.  Law of averages says he wasn’t going to have 7 BB Per 9 so his command is rounding into form.  Walks have been killer for him so far.  His inability to throw strikes early in season has lead to pitch counts racking up and making him exit starts more quickly.  As his command comes back he’ll be able to throw QS starts against good lineups like Philly.  His stuff is very good.  His cost right now is relatively cheap.  Considering cost, and potential upside he’s a great play in fantasy right now.  Not like he’s been heavily invested, or will cost much to acquire.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

He’s clearly turning corner.  Law of averages says he wasn’t going to have 7 BB Per 9 so his command is rounding into form.  Walks have been killer for him so far.  His inability to throw strikes early in season has lead to pitch counts racking up and making him exit starts more quickly.  As his command comes back he’ll be able to throw QS starts against good lineups like Philly.  His stuff is very good.  His cost right now is relatively cheap.  Considering cost, and potential upside he’s a great play in fantasy right now.  Not like he’s been heavily invested, or will cost much to acquire.

I'm not as optimistic as you are, but optimistic in general. I don't think he's going to be as cheap as you think because his name alone inflates his value, and any owners probably feel optimistic as well after his last few starts. He's probably more in the hold category than the buy category. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, sure, he's better than his current 5.06 ERA and 1.56 WHIP.  Call him a buy low if you want. 

But I don't see better than a 4.25 ERA, 1.20 WHIP rest of season but with very little predictability on when he'll blow up or throw a gem.  His upside is still immense, but with his control issues and his age, I have to wonder if he'll ever be a reliable (read: predictable) fantasy asset again.  I hope he figures it out because he's so damn talented and I could watch him make hitters look stupid with his slider all day, but he's almost 33.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Yea, sure, he's better than his current 5.06 ERA and 1.56 WHIP.  Call him a buy low if you want. 

But I don't see better than a 4.25 ERA, 1.20 WHIP rest of season but with very little predictability on when he'll blow up or throw a gem.  His upside is still immense, but with his control issues and his age, I have to wonder if he'll ever be a reliable (read: predictable) fantasy asset again.  I hope he figures it out because he's so damn talented and I could watch him make hitters look stupid with his slider all day, but he's almost 33.

Yea, I don't have much optimism in him either. But whatever, it is what it is. He's on my roster and I don't see myself dropping. Hope he figures it out. 

Edited by hangin n wangin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he can string together 5 straight good outings you might be able to unload him in a trade. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deke said:

This guy. 

 Sucks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

 

What is there to even like? He’s been nothing short of abysmal.

you might as well go get Nick Pivetta. Same s---.

Edited by hangin n wangin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this