Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RestoreTheRoar

Wieters or Snider

Which is the better prospect for the next 3 years?

I think this is easily Wieters.

1. Catcher is a much more valuable position.

2. Plate discipline (K:BB) is much more favorable toward Wieters

3. I would say their power is roughly equal

4. Wieters should hit for a higher BA and have a highe OBP

Yes, Snider is about 1.5 years younger, but the biggest thing Wieters has going for him is he is a catcher, where his bat is much more valuable.

I'm torn on this one. I have both on my squads for a keeper league. Wieters seems more polished at this point, but Snider is a level up and you could maybe argue on the faster track because of that. Depends on your need I guess.

very tough call. these are two top 5 prospects going into 2009. i'm leaning towards wieters but only due to his position. snider has the higher ceiling as a hitter, though.

I like Snider more as a hitter, but if you feel that you really need a catcher enough to sacrifice a bit of hitting ability, take Weiters.

I have both in a 20 team dynasty league. I think I drafted Snider at 7 and Wieters at 21, but right now I'd give the slight edge to Wieters. I think ultimatly Snider has quite abit more power upside, but Wieters position is gonna make him very sexy in a couple years.

I also own both of them, took Snider at either 6 or 7, and then Weiters on the wrap around (12 team league).

I also own both of them, took Snider at either 6 or 7, and then Weiters on the wrap around (12 team league).

Like Wieters a lot more! K/BB rate is way better than Snider(age is big factor here though). Wieters being a catcher and R.Hernandez being a F.A. is important also. OF's in mixed leagues that don't have 16-20 teams need to be stars in order to have much impact on your squad. I feel Wieters will be J.Varitek at worst, while I have seen many power hitting OF's w/ poor K-rates turn into nothing.

Now everyone can go ahead and list all the college 1st round drafted catchers who've turned into huge steaming piles.........the list will be long! B)

Now everyone can go ahead and list all the college 1st round drafted catchers who've turned into huge steaming piles.........the list will be long! B)

Maybe, but there haven't been many college catchers drafted in the top 5. In the last 20 years, in fact, there have only been five: Buster Posey, Matt Wieters, Jeff Clement, Joe Mauer, and Eric Munson. While Munson has clearly been a bust and Mauer has been a stud, it remains to be seen what will happen of the other three.

I own both as well as you can see in my sig...what doesn't make sense to me is that R. Hernandez will probably not be the Orioles catcher going into 2009..why not move Weiters up so he can gain the experience??..then when spring of '09 comes around Weiters would have the job to lose...keeping him at this level is pointless and stalls the process

Snider on the other hand is young and doesn't have a spot yet on Toronto's roster, but that will change soon..I think both of these guys will be good hitters...Weiters projects higher AVG and OBP, but Snider will have more power once he's fully developed

I think both are great hitters but Wieters has a huge edge in character. I have heard Snider is a attitude problem but if he hits it doesn't matter in fantasy. It just becomes a clubhouse issue.

I think both are great hitters but Wieters has a huge edge in character. I have heard Snider is a attitude problem but if he hits it doesn't matter in fantasy. It just becomes a clubhouse issue.

no no no no no no no......

you couldn't be more misinformed regarding snider. in fact, he's considered one of the best character guys in baseball, even at his young age. the guy has an incredible head on his shoulders. i even talked briefly with a blue jays developement scout who told me they want to keep snider on the field as opposed to as a DH because he's such a positive player with such a great attitude and determination that they don't want to waste his leadership qualities.

no no no no no no no......

you couldn't be more misinformed regarding snider. in fact, he's considered one of the best character guys in baseball, even at his young age. the guy has an incredible head on his shoulders. i even talked briefly with a blue jays developement scout who told me they want to keep snider on the field as opposed to as a DH because he's such a positive player with such a great attitude and determination that they don't want to waste his leadership qualities.

agreed - i've heard nothing negative on snider's character, only positives (and thanks for the additional info!)