Sign in to follow this  
The Land Of Real Beer

2018 Season Black Monday Firings

Recommended Posts

With Cleveland and Green Bay also needing a coach, there will be at least 8 HC openings. 

 

All fantasy owners hoping that Jeff Fisher and John Fox do not get any of those openings. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of these firings seem a little unfair.  Not sure Belichick could have won games with that Cardinals roster.  The only one of these teams with a solid offensive cast is the Bucs, and this is now a league where you can't compete without generating lots of offense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corleone said:

With Cleveland and Green Bay also needing a coach, there will be at least 8 HC openings. 

 

All fantasy owners hoping that Jeff Fisher and John Fox do not get any of those openings. 

Fox I wouldn’t hate as an owner of a rb.  Jordan Howard rb 4, rb9 in 2 seasons.   CJA got big loads in Denver under Foxy when health permitted.   

 

Sooooooo happy VJ and Gase are out.    That’s huge for my dynasty team.  /csb 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eg4190 said:

Some of these firings seem a little unfair.  Not sure Belichick could have won games with that Cardinals roster.  The only one of these teams with a solid offensive cast is the Bucs, and this is now a league where you can't compete without generating lots of offense.

 

I agree that Wilks was in a very bad situation...but his hiring of Mike McCoy as OC and the team's use of David Johnson was inexplicable IMO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Fox I wouldn’t hate as an owner of a rb.  Jordan Howard rb 4, rb9 in 2 seasons.   CJA got big loads in Denver under Foxy when health permitted.   

 

Sooooooo happy VJ and Gase are out.    That’s huge for my dynasty team.  /csb 

 

His usage of Tarik Cohen was terrible though. And I think overall, he's just a dinosaur in today's coaching game.

 

He also had the worst challenge of all time in his last season as Bears coach...
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/john-fox-executed-a-challenge-that-was-so-terrible-it-gave-the-ball-to-the-other-team/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Some of these firings seem a little unfair.  Not sure Belichick could have won games with that Cardinals roster.  The only one of these teams with a solid offensive cast is the Bucs, and this is now a league where you can't compete without generating lots of offense.

I think sometimes its probably the overall feel, obviously the Cards were not great a year ago but this year they had to fire OC mid-year, etc.  I think in an offensive game that when the coach is a defensive guy it can lead to some challenges.  My guess is that they will be seeking an offensive minded HC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vance Joseph was clearly the most inept of the group. 

 

Say what you will about Gase, but I think he'd be a nice fit there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25% of NFL teams so far have a HC vacancy.

 

Teams with losing record still with a HC:

 

Raiders 4-12

49ers 4-12

Jaguars 5-11

Giants 5-11

Bills 6-10

Lions 6-10

Redskins 7-9

Falcons 7-9

Panthers 7-9

 

Next, anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Openings:

 

Denver

Cleveland

Greenbay

Arizona

Cincinati

Tampa Bay

Miami

Jets

 

 

 

Those are a lot of really good teams with the right coaching hire could immediately be playoff contenders. Except maybe NYJ

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Land Of Real Beer said:

25% of NFL teams so far have a HC vacancy.

 

Teams with losing record still with a HC:

 

Raiders 4-12

49ers 4-12

Jaguars 5-11

Giants 5-11

Bills 6-10

Lions 6-10

Redskins 7-9

Falcons 7-9

Panthers 7-9

 

Next, anyone?

 

We know the Raiders are safe, with Jon Gruden's 113-year contract and all...

49ers and Shanahan are 100% safe. I would say McDermott on the Bills is safe as well, with a playoff berth last year and a team that continued to play hard down the stretch this season.

 

I don't think the Giants or Lions will make a move on their first-year HC's. 

 

I think Quinn is probably going to be retained for Atlanta, but it's not a lock.

 

I've read rumors about Rivera getting the ax in Carolina, with them having new ownership. This could go either way.

 

I think Marrone on Jacksonville and Gruden (the Redskins one) will both get the ax. Perhaps the Skins don't make a move, using their injuries as a reason to retain Gruden. But their owner is also Daniel Snyder, so I'll go on the side of saying Snyder pulls the trigger. 

Edited by Corleone
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm shocked Jacksonville didn't make the move.    They absolutely fell apart from the top down, that almost always gets a non-tenured coach fired.

 

What fantasy players are hopefuilly improving now?    First to mind is naturally Kenyan Drake.    If Sam Darnold gets the right mentor, he can take off.   That might not even be the head coach- perhaps they just bring in a QB coach or the right clipboard holder to work with him.     I think Cleveland's offense already had their lift.    People will point to David Johnson, and I think he can bump up a bit but that roster is quite the mess....I wouldn't call him a Gurley with McVay just yet.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BrianM said:

I'm shocked Jacksonville didn't make the move.    They absolutely fell apart from the top down, that almost always gets a non-tenured coach fired.

 

What fantasy players are hopefuilly improving now?    First to mind is naturally Kenyan Drake.    If Sam Darnold gets the right mentor, he can take off.   That might not even be the head coach- perhaps they just bring in a QB coach or the right clipboard holder to work with him.     I think Cleveland's offense already had their lift.    People will point to David Johnson, and I think he can bump up a bit but that roster is quite the mess....I wouldn't call him a Gurley with McVay just yet.    


Oh wow, I just found an article from yesterday saying that Marrone will return. I guess we now have the early favorite for "first coach to be fired during the 2019 season". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ya know, for all of the ish Gase gets he does seem to over achieve with mostly inferior talent. 

 

whereas Moosh Mouth Mike (aka "Teflon Tomlin", aka Marble Mouf Mike) does the opposite - yet is considered a good coach - unreal. 

 

if the Stillers had any ... any ... ANY effin' sack they would can that glorified coordinator today.  the man is in waaaaaayyyyyyyy over his pay grade as a head coach. 

 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are reports that Rex Ryan is interested in the Miami HC job. If that happens, he would have coached 3 AFC East teams within 5 years...

 

Jets 2009--2014

Bills 2015--2016

Dolphins 2018 ????

 

I really hope this happens just for the sake of comedy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else (bucs fans, etc) shocked that Tampa would their GM? He is awful...as a Saints fan it's more than fine with me, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Corleone said:

There are reports that Rex Ryan is interested in the Miami HC job. If that happens, he would have coached 3 AFC East teams within 5 years...

 

Jets 2009--2014

Bills 2015--2016

Dolphins 2018 ????

 

I really hope this happens just for the sake of comedy. 

 

Would be a good D coordinator in Miami for whoever gets the HC job.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Corleone said:

There are reports that Rex Ryan is interested in the Miami HC job. If that happens, he would have coached 3 AFC East teams within 5 years...

 

Jets 2009--2014

Bills 2015--2016

Dolphins 2018 ????

 

I really hope this happens just for the sake of comedy. 

 

Rex has morphed into a parody of himself, and is seen as a buffoon, yes ... but i still say that the coaching job he did those first two years with the Jets is the best of the last decade.   period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Land Of Real Beer said:

In Normal World, Marrone would be on his bike.

 

Jag's regression this season was just too much.

 

But NFL.

 

Yeah Marrone's would probably be the most richly deserved, just because we've already seen this same basic roster nearly make the Super Bowl.  Marrone can't say "But Bortles sucks!" when the team made it to a fourth-quarter lead in the AFC Championship Game despite Bortles sucking the whole way.  They kept most of the band together this year.  The only explanation for the collapse is that they weren't coached properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.