sngehl01

Nick Pivetta 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, rdf8585 said:

Check out this velo from Pivetta today - 99 MPH.

So they a quoting how excellent he's looking on a walk?  Haha

33 minutes ago, Jvanspro said:

So they a quoting how excellent he's looking on a walk?  Haha

He didnt miss by much.

My takeaway from that video is how smooth and easy his delivery is and how effortless 99 is for him

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, taobball said:

Straight

This. You could tie a string from his finger to the catchers mitt, and the ball would follow that path exactly. No movement. I don't care how many mph he puts behind that ball, MLB hitters will tee off on it. 

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

This. You could tie a string from his finger to the catchers mitt, and the ball would follow that path exactly. No movement. I don't care how many mph he puts behind that ball, MLB hitters will tee off on it. 

When they know its coming. Sure. The whole point about being a pitcher is not being predictable/fool. 99 give you even less time to commit. That is main value of velocity. Its why pitcher total whiff rates correlate with FB velocity on a mass scale. Even though the FB as a pitch on its own, is not usually a big whiff pitch.

I remember at times when Chapman is struggling for the feel of his Slider. He has these rough patches because he becomes 100% predictable. There is a great quote from Robbie ray in fangraphs article that sums ups a young pitchers evolution from thrower to pitcher.

“It’s funny: when you’re younger, you want everything to look nasty. You want your fastball to be hard, you want this big sweeping slider, and you want this big, looping curveball. Over time, you realize that you want everything to look the same. I want my pitches to come out of the same slot, stay on the same plane, and break at the last minute.

If the location is good, a straight fastball can be a nice weapon to counteract the uppercut swing that a lot of batters are using to increase their fly ball rates and hit more homers.  Usually you want to elevate more than he did there, but that pitch was a little bit high and really close to the outside corner, which is the kind of pitch that you *definitely* don't want sinking/tailing back into the heart of the zone.

He's shown the ability to locate his FB pretty well.  If he's dialing it up there at 99 and not catching much of the zone, I'm fine with it not having a ton of movement.

• Like 3

drafted him late hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with not many options available. not bashing him, more of just curious but besides strikeouts, this guys 4.77 era is not much to look at here, do people see him turning a corner? still young enough to do so but woof

14 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

If the location is good, a straight fastball can be a nice weapon to counteract the uppercut swing that a lot of batters are using to increase their fly ball rates and hit more homers.  Usually you want to elevate more than he did there, but that pitch was a little bit high and really close to the outside corner, which is the kind of pitch that you *definitely* don't want sinking/tailing back into the heart of the zone.

He's shown the ability to locate his FB pretty well.  If he's dialing it up there at 99 and not catching much of the zone, I'm fine with it not having a ton of movement.

was gonna say this exact thing.  the elevated fastball has worked great for porcello and several others.  especially when you have a plus curve or slider which pivetta does

• Like 1

I like the arm but it feels like this guy is getting so hyped up he's going to go way sooner than he should.  He has exciting stuff, but the consistency isn't there, and too many of his pitches get shelled.  He reminds me of Nathan Eovaldi who has throw 100 forever, and looks the part, but doesn't have the pitch consistency or deception he needs to reach his potential.  At the right price I'm buying the upside, but someone is going to think ace and take his kid rounds higher than his ADP.

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

I like the arm but it feels like this guy is getting so hyped up he's going to go way sooner than he should.  He has exciting stuff, but the consistency isn't there, and too many of his pitches get shelled.  He reminds me of Nathan Eovaldi who has throw 100 forever, and looks the part, but doesn't have the pitch consistency or deception he needs to reach his potential.  At the right price I'm buying the upside, but someone is going to think ace and take his kid rounds higher than his ADP.

Yup...way over-hyped.  He may break out but not for me.  In one league I picked him up as a streamer last year and got a 6 ER in 3.2 IPs drubbing by the hitting challenged Mets (unbelievable) as a consequence...stay away.  This guy is nitro.  Look the wrong way and boom.

15 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Yup...way over-hyped.  He may break out but not for me.  In one league I picked him up as a streamer last year and got a 6 ER in 3.2 IPs drubbing by the hitting challenged Mets (unbelievable) as a consequence...stay away.

Stay away if you must, but pinning it on one game where you streamed him last year seems silly. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dicka24 said:

Eovaldi did not strike people out. Pivetta strikes a ton of people out. He's a 5 round cheaper Chris Archer IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Eovaldi did not strike people out. Pivetta strikes a ton of people out. He's a 5 round cheaper Chris Archer IMO.

In fairness, 19 pick round difference in NFBC currently, but otherwise I agree

1 hour ago, brooklynfinest42 said:

any numbers predictions of Pivetta this year?..  i just picked him up in rd15 of a 10 team h2h.. he his my sp4 which i think is great value. 

200k, in 180IP, with an ERA of 3.85 and a WHIP of 1.24. Wins hard to predict but I'm saying 14 since he's on a greatly improved Philly team both offensively and defensively!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, doctorm said:

200k, in 180IP, with an ERA of 3.85 and a WHIP of 1.24. Wins hard to predict but I'm saying 14 since he's on a greatly improved Philly team both offensively and defensively!

thanks man! i hope you are correct.

This thread is a lot quieter than most probably expected it to be after Pivetta's highly anticipated season debut.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, rdf8585 said:

This thread is a lot quieter than most probably expected it to be after Pivetta's highly anticipated season debut.

You mean when he looked exactly the same as last year when he had an ERA well over 4. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 2

Was at the game. Felt like he didn't have a single first pitch strike. Also his slider wasn't fooling anyone bc he couldn't locate it consistently.

As a Phillies fan I want to believe in him, as a fantasy baseball player he wouldn't start until I saw consistency.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DownSouthWolverine said:

This dude was way overhyped.  Bad twins lineup hitting him around and he’s not getting any K’s.

Possibly. But the twins lineup ain't no walk in the park like it used to be and it's only been 2 starts. 

Owning him's gonna be a rollercoaster ride but thus his ADP.

He could still breakout this year. Who knows 😕