sngehl01

Nick Pivetta 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, taobball said:

Nick Pivetta isn't Jose Altuve, bub. Not by a long shot. 

Look he's free, and can have Ks. So he's got upside. But I didn't believe he was a sub-4 ERA guy before the season and I certainly don't now that he's been demoted in the first month. 

His curveball is money. His slider is good and his fastball sucks despite being 95-96. If he throws the fastball high with maybe 35 curve 20 slider and 45 fastball he'll be fine.

Edited by dkrocka

1 minute ago, dkrocka said:

His curveball is money. His slider is good and his fastball sucks despite being 95-96. If he throws the fastball high with maybe 35 curve 20 slider and 45 fastball he'll be fine.

I disagree. I don't think you can survive as an MLB SP with a breaking ball alone. It's a good breaking ball. But with no Off-Speed pitch and a fastball that gets killed, I don't think Nick Pivetta has what it takes to survive. 

8 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

Stats don't measure a shot in the teeth and a confidence buff. Kind of like how career years often time follow stinker seasons. You can hate it all you want but it's why altuve is a steal this year, Machado the year before and more extreme examples of Robbie Ray a few years ago. You laugh off confidence isn't a thing despite a particular Yankee great making a heinous claim that 90% is mental. Also will soon Contreras. Getting punched in the gut forces you to work harder if you're a decent athlete and hard work produces strong results. Laugh it off at a free LOTTERY ticket. Like every other gamble you took past round 20... Free with upside

I can't get past the "Altuve was a steal this year" bit.  LOL!!!

And btw, Gray was a top 10 SP for 2 months following callup. And they are pretty similar both stuffwise and adpwise. You buy value and upside on the cheap because the season is constantly changing. You act like a 3 week sample defines the season. This guy is Pineda a few years ago basically

13 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

Stats don't measure a shot in the teeth and a confidence buff. Kind of like how career years often time follow stinker seasons. You can hate it all you want but it's why altuve is a steal this year, Machado the year before and more extreme examples of Robbie Ray a few years ago. You laugh off confidence isn't a thing despite a particular Yankee great making a heinous claim that 90% is mental. Also will soon Contreras. Getting punched in the gut forces you to work harder if you're a decent athlete and hard work produces strong results. Laugh it off at a free LOTTERY ticket. Like every other gamble you took past round 20... Free with upside

Unless he can get some movement on that fastball, any movement, and add a decent change, color me disinterested. 

6 minutes ago, taobball said:

I disagree. I don't think you can survive as an MLB SP with a breaking ball alone. It's a good breaking ball. But with no Off-Speed pitch and a fastball that gets killed, I don't think Nick Pivetta has what it takes to survive. 

What about for 4 months? 

19 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Looking like a monster start today if you started him in AAA fantasy baseball

All kidding aside,this IS worth noting.

4 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Not really. Getting strikeouts has never been his problem. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

44 minutes ago, Deke said:

Not really. Getting strikeouts has never been his problem. 

I think it’s not the strikeouts , just that he might me on track and get back to the bigs soon 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think it’s not the strikeouts , just that he might me on track and get back to the bigs soon 

Who's he going to replace? Eickhoff isn't going anywhere. Eflin had a good outing today. And Velasquez has been performing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Who's he going to replace? Eickhoff isn't going anywhere. Eflin had a good outing today. And Velasquez has been performing.

Someone will get hurt or start sucking. Only a matter of time 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Someone will get hurt or start sucking. Only a matter of time 

"Only a matter of time" isn't necessarily "soon". though.  Obviously in a 162 game season every pitching rotation is going to have some turnover, so this statement can't really ever be wrong.  The point being made here is that Pivetta doesn't just need to play his way back, he needs to have someone currently in the rotation play their way out.  That might happen this week, or it might happen in a few weeks.  Meanwhile, he could get roughed up in his next AAA outing.

The team knows he has the tools to mow down minor league bats and even major league bats when he's on -- what they want to see is consistency.  That's going to take more than a couple of games to demonstrate, and the guys in the rotation right now are simply showing themselves to be more reliable options, even if they don't have Pivetta's upside.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

"Only a matter of time" isn't necessarily "soon". though.  Obviously in a 162 game season every pitching rotation is going to have some turnover, so this statement can't really ever be wrong.  

I never said soon nor do I try to be wrong. So agreed.

Could be a week could be months. Totally agree. Such a dominant outing makes me think he might have figured something out.

• Like 1

How do Pivetta's dynasty league owners (if there any left....) feel about this?

On 4/30/2019 at 6:03 PM, rdf8585 said:

How do Pivetta's dynasty league owners (if there any left....) feel about this?

I'd take a useful bullpen arm over a worthless starting one. 

hows nick looking/being used in the minors?

by RotoWire Staff
(3 hrs ago) Manager Gabe Kapler wouldn't confirm that Velasquez's rotation spot was safe Monday, saying "I haven't made any determinations beyond tonight," Meghan Montemurro of The Athletic Philadelphia reports.

Kapler's comments didn't make it sound as though a change is definitely going to come soon, but the Philliescertainly seem to be losing patience with Velasquez. His 3.86 ERA this season doesn't line up with his 5.61 FIP, and he's allowed eight runs while walking eight batters in a combined 7.2 innings over his last two starts. The primary candidate to replace Velasquez in the rotation would likely be Nick Pivetta, would was sent to Triple-A Lehigh Valley in mid-April after posting an 8.35 ERA in his first four starts of the season.

5 hours ago, herschel said:

hows nick looking/being used in the minors?

by RotoWire Staff
(3 hrs ago) Manager Gabe Kapler wouldn't confirm that Velasquez's rotation spot was safe Monday, saying "I haven't made any determinations beyond tonight," Meghan Montemurro of The Athletic Philadelphia reports.

Kapler's comments didn't make it sound as though a change is definitely going to come soon, but the Philliescertainly seem to be losing patience with Velasquez. His 3.86 ERA this season doesn't line up with his 5.61 FIP, and he's allowed eight runs while walking eight batters in a combined 7.2 innings over his last two starts. The primary candidate to replace Velasquez in the rotation would likely be Nick Pivetta, would was sent to Triple-A Lehigh Valley in mid-April after posting an 8.35 ERA in his first four starts of the season.

I tend to agree with that. I could see VV as a bullpen arm but I don't think he has what it takes to be a starter - granted I've occasionally said the same about Pivetta but I think he warrants at least a few more shots to start this season.  

5 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

another 10k performance for him in AAA

I’m not worried about his K’s.  The K’s will always be there. 

4 Walks tonight., 3 Walks every single MILB start before that. Pivetta's issues have never been a lack of Whiffs. Doesn't seem like he's undergone any sort of change unless someone can report otherwise.

• Like 1

Anybody want to take the dive (again)?:

Pivetta is one of two candidates, along with Vince Velasquez, to start Tuesday against the Cardinals, Matt Breen of The Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

The Phillies have an opening in the rotation after demoting Cole Irvin to Triple-A, and it will be one of Pivetta or Velasquez. Pivetta has a 3.41 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 50 strikeouts in 37 innings through six starts at Triple-A Lehigh Valley, but he has also walked at least three batters in every start he has made at Triple-A this season. Manager Gabe Kapler noted Wednesday that Velasquez, who is on the 10-day injured list with a forearm strain, would be a good fit in the bullpen and went out of his way to say that Velasquez doesn't automatically get to return to the rotation when he is healthy, but there has also been speculation that Pivetta could move to the bullpen at some point this season.

3 minutes ago, slaphitter said:

Pivetta is one of two candidates, along with Vince Velasquez, to start Tuesday against the Cardinals, Matt Breen of The Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

The Phillies have an opening in the rotation after demoting Cole Irvin to Triple-A, and it will be one of Pivetta or Velasquez. Pivetta has a 3.41 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 50 strikeouts in 37 innings through six starts at Triple-A Lehigh Valley, but he has also walked at least three batters in every start he has made at Triple-A this season. Manager Gabe Kapler noted Wednesday that Velasquez, who is on the 10-day injured list with a forearm strain, would be a good fit in the bullpen and went out of his way to say that Velasquez doesn't automatically get to return to the rotation when he is healthy, but there has also been speculation that Pivetta could move to the bullpen at some point this season.

Probably gonna be the same old. A break out would be nice. Not holding my breathe. First test against the cards should be good. If he can navigate through Carp, Goldie, Dejong and Ozuna he will have my attention. 

13 minutes ago, slaphitter said:

I mean I have him in an NA spot in my dynasty league but I'm not starting him if he does get the call. I'm hopeful that his next stint will finally see him reach his potential, he does have good stuff. But his next chance for me is also his last. 

19 minutes ago, slaphitter said:

Anybody want to take the dive (again)?

No.