STLSU

George Springer 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

 

He has left something to be desired for sure.  I think he has more power than the 22 HR he showed last year though and has consistently elite R production.  I know waiting on Springer to "break out" has been the downfall of many a team before, but with a relatively high floor and potential for .275/115/30/80/10 if all breaks right color me interested.

I've owned him since his final season in AAA so I waited for a longtime for the real breakout. Eventually I gave up on that and now look at him similarly to you - very high floor player who won't hurt you but likely isn't going to win a league for you. Anything over the established .265/100/25 line is gravy to me at this point, especially steals. Would love to see 30+ homers.

Edited by bradwatson
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

I've owned him since his final season in AAA so I waited for a longtime for the real breakout. Eventually I gave up on that and now look at him similarly to you - very high floor player who won't hurt you but likely isn't going to win a league for you. Anything over the established .265/100/25 line is gravy to me at this point, especially steals. Would love to see 30+ homers.

 

I think that's a tough thing to do for a lot of fantasy managers.  When players don't live up to their hype people sometimes devalue them more than they deserve. It sucks hes not the first round guy we hoped but at this 40+ ADP this year I'm not than happy with his floor/ceiling combo. I made a similar argument with Archer this year too (although a bit less confidently). No he's not an ace which sucks but a low 4 ERA with high 3 potential and a good shot at 200+ IP and K could be solid value at 120+.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 8:05 PM, bradwatson said:

Quietly having a really good start to the season. I've considered him mostly a jag for the past few years. Hopefully he can get to 30+ homers again this year.

 

This might just be me being nitpicky, but I've never really considered him a JAG; when I think of a JAG I think of the perennial two WAR players that you use to fill out your roster. He never quite reached the level many thought he could, but he's still a career .266/.357/.472 hitter. I do think he should get to 30 again this year, remember he was hurt or playing hurt for a decent portion of last season. Still early but he already has seven home runs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, phillyphan21 said:

 

This might just be me being nitpicky, but I've never really considered him a JAG; when I think of a JAG I think of the perennial two WAR players that you use to fill out your roster. He never quite reached the level many thought he could, but he's still a career .266/.357/.472 hitter. I do think he should get to 30 again this year, remember he was hurt or playing hurt for a decent portion of last season. Still early but he already has seven home runs. 

You aren't being nitpicky. He's definitely above JAG level. What I really mean is that his numbers in all but 1 or 2 seasons have been replaceable by many guys on the wire. Case and point: Eddie Rosario has turned into a better fantasy player than George Springer and likely went lower in drafts the past 2 years after being a waiver wire add in 2017.

The same thing could be said for plenty of guys of course. I think the problem as you said is that expectations for George were much higher than he's ever reached, with the closest he's come being in 2017. When a guy goes 40/35 or whatever in the minors it's hard not to expect a 35/20 season at some point in the majors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

You aren't being nitpicky. He's definitely above JAG level. What I really mean is that his numbers in all but 1 or 2 seasons have been replaceable by many guys on the wire. Case and point: Eddie Rosario has turned into a better fantasy player than George Springer and likely went lower in drafts the past 2 years after being a waiver wire add in 2017.

The same thing could be said for plenty of guys of course. I think the problem as you said is that expectations for George were much higher than he's ever reached, with the closest he's come being in 2017. When a guy goes 40/35 or whatever in the minors it's hard not to expect a 35/20 season at some point in the majors.

 

I get what you're saying. Springer has been a valuable asset but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting more. I have him in a dynasty league (bought somewhat low, think 85 cents on the dollar, around our trade deadline last year) and I'm hoping he has another 2017 and in the early going at least that looks probable. I don't think the steals are ever gonna come like we all thought they would but he should hold value everywhere else, even last year he was fine until he got hurt. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had him in a keep forever league since his AAA days and I can honestly say I would not be surprised AT ALL if he finishes with .285 35HR 10SB. He's only 29 and for me, it's all about health!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said in the offseason you didn't want to sell low on Springer in dynasty. He's having a beastly season thus far, still in his 20s for the remainder of this season.  You should be able to get a better haul now than you did 3-4 months ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

doing what Harper should be doing  but a 4 rounds later draft price.

What's funny is there were a lot of posts about "Why get Springer, when you can get X 5 rounds later".  Happens every year and in multiple threads though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

What's funny is there were a lot of posts about "Why get Springer, when you can get X 5 rounds later".  Happens every year and in multiple threads though. 

I don't think I posted one of those, but I was certainly thinking it... Pleasantly surprised by his production so far this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

I don't think I posted one of those, but I was certainly thinking it... Pleasantly surprised by his production so far this year.

I'm not too surprised. I knew he was good, average might come down a bit. He's really good.  Perfectly in that really good tier of players nobody cares about and everyone doesn't want to pay full price for coming off a bad year but is within the age where he's almost surely bouncing back if healthy. Altuve to a similar but different extent is the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has all the talent in the world, his problem has been every time he gets hot, he gets hurt.  Then he'll go on month+ long slumps.

 

But when he's hot, he's one of the best out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This better not be a suspension, cause this umpire is the worst 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the year he goes 40Hr-20steals? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Best value pick in the top 100 by far this season? This guy has been a team saver! Hope he can keep it up!

And I saw a ton of people in different places saying the dumb "Why get Springer in round X when you can get X 6 rounds later"

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

And I saw a ton of people in different places saying the dumb "Why get Springer in round X when you can get X 6 rounds later"

They dissing the former finals mvp🤦‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally has put it all together.  Health permitting, he's in for a monster year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mother of all sell high candidates with his track record.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Magoo said:

The mother of all sell high candidates with his track record.

probably could get a crazy haul for him right now to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...