sngehl01

Jorge Polanco 2019 Outlook

I’ve been very happy with the overall production, obviously. Guy is a hitter. Noticed he still has no SBs and decided to look at the team. The whole team has 8 SBs combined. Only Philly is worse, with 7 team SBs. Amazingly (maybe), Buxton has 7 of the 8.

Considering his high-ish CS-rate, and what looks to be a new manager’s unwillingness to steal bags as a philosophy, I’m wondering if 4-5 SBs tops is what we should expect. 

Now if he hits .315 w/25 HRs, I’ll take it. But we probably need to adjust our SB expectations moving forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another 5 hit performance. 

Stick is for realz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbossman said:

Another 5 hit performance. 

Stick is for realz

but muh stolen bases

7 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’ve been very happy with the overall production, obviously. Guy is a hitter. Noticed he still has no SBs and decided to look at the team. The whole team has 8 SBs combined. Only Philly is worse, with 7 team SBs. Amazingly (maybe), Buxton has 7 of the 8.

Considering his high-ish CS-rate, and what looks to be a new manager’s unwillingness to steal bags as a philosophy, I’m wondering if 4-5 SBs tops is what we should expect. 

Now if he hits .315 w/25 HRs, I’ll take it. But we probably need to adjust our SB expectations moving forward. 

Someone in a group chat threw out the statement that he's doing what you expected/hoped Correa/Seager to do, but is actually doing it instead of flailing. I definitely agree his SB numbers haven't been encouraging, especially the lack of any attempts really at all. And Cruz/Rosario are good hitters so it does make sense to a large extent. plus with 22 XBHs, he's skipping First Base enough as it is. But he is also athletic and seems to have a good concept of pitch usage when he's at the plate, so I think he has the right tools to be a good base stealer. Still 25 yo. Definitely bleak-er outlook in the category, but I think he can hit a 10 SB pace with 6-7ish ROS. 

But he's also at 10+% BB%, sub-14% K%, and a .305 ISO. When you consider the way he uses the whole field and has been smashing the ball, his .337 (before today) or even .362 BABIPs (after today) aren't all that crazy.

I mean it's hard to make the argument that polanco hasn't been one of the best players in baseball so far this season. 9th in WAR, 10th in wRC+, 10th in OPS prior to today. His OPS raised from .995 to 1.061 today. Now hitting .344. 

Add to that the twins are top 5 right now in stats like wOBA and wRC+ as a team. His Counting stats are doing better and better. He's up to about a 100/80 Pace. Not to mention the fact that 25 HRs is light compared to pace. I dont' necessarily believe he keeps pace, but he's pacing 30+, and he's pretty legit in the cold weather of Minnesota. And Summer is coming. 

• Like 4

On 5/8/2019 at 10:42 PM, jfazz23 said:

but muh stolen bases

This seems like it may have been directed at me, after a post where I was pointing out but clearly NOT complaining about him.

That said, despite the awesome start, Polanco is currently the 11th ranked SS on ESPN player rater for standard 5 x 5. So yeah, the SBs are something to consider.

• Like 1

this guy has been an unsung hero so far.. his swing looks totally different.. anyone know what he's doing that has changed from past years? do the metrics add up that he can sustain this all year?  these homers and extra base hits are no doubters! 

Kid rakes from the left side.  In my daily I platoon him vs lefties and he's been pure gold in that capacity for me.

After the off day yesterday, really surprised to see him out of the lineup tonight.  Anything from the locals in Minny as to why he's not playing tonight?

44 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

After the off day yesterday, really surprised to see him out of the lineup tonight.  Anything from the locals in Minny as to why he's not playing tonight?

Lol he played 16 games in a row brah. Let the man breathe a bit. Next. 

Yeah everything simply says (rest). 

Sometimes managers strategically time it with an off day so the player has two straight days off.

• Like 1

ESPN says Illness

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

ESPN says Illness

Battling illness. Confirmed on Twitter 

Fairly useless over the past month and a half. Not hitting for average or power, although underlying stats don't seem to have changed much

Looks done for the season and highly droppable in all leagues 

Heating up again. Last 7 games 11/32 (.344) 9 r 2 hr 10 rbi 2 doubles 1 triple. 

• Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 6:45 AM, bigbossman said:

. 231 Avg 709 OPS last 110 at bats

On 8/21/2019 at 7:18 AM, ty5592 said:

Heating up again. Last 7 games 11/32 (.344) 9 r 2 hr 10 rbi 2 doubles 1 triple. 

I was so close to dropping him... he is heating up just in time (for my H2H playoffs, anyway).
Really good hitter, not enough power or speed to be a standout, but I can see him providing "slightly poor man's Jeff McNeil" kind of production next season.