sngehl01

Marcell Ozuna 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Yeah, he's clearly back to his 2017 form.  While he might not hit around .312 again, the power is clearly back, which is what matters the most.

Now that his shoulder is back to being healthy again, he should be back to being one of the premiere power hitting OFs in baseball and have a real shot at being a Top 10-15 OF over the course of the whole season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Yeah, he's clearly back to his 2017 form.  While he might not hit around .312 again, the power is clearly back, which is what matters the most.

Now that his shoulder is back to being healthy again, he should be back to being one of the premiere power hitting OFs in baseball and have a real shot at being a Top 10-15 OF over the course of the whole season.

In my league format he is currently a top 10 hitter overall and a top 5 OF.  The sb's are definitely a nice bonus so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KarlJ. said:

In my league format he is currently a top 10 hitter overall and a top 5 OF.  The sb's are definitely a nice bonus so far

That he is.  I was more talking about where everything should be at when the season is over.  Some other of the top hitters like J.D. and Ramirez should start shooting up the ranks soon enough and knock him down a bit, but I don't think it would be too unreasonable to think he could come close to his ranking he ended up with at the end of 2017 (I think somewhere in the 20s or so).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 6:11 PM, jfazz23 said:

 

ks only matter in leagues that deduct Ks...which the vast majority dont do.  an out is an out.  Ozuna has been a great steal this year.

Oh absolutely

i was just pointing out he’s striking out a decent amount but it’s less then I thought. 

I thought he was closer to 30% but he’s around 23% which isn’t that bad. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 2:30 PM, swfcdan said:

I was a first time owner last year, trading for him in a keeper league at a solid price $15. Was very underwhelmed compared to expectations but his 2nd half was reminiscent of 2017 like someone has said.

 

I'm now buying in a seperate league as his stock has fallen dramatically. Check out the 2nd half stats once he started feeling healthy (also less pressure from big contract maybe):

 

Season 2nd Half G AB PA H 1B 2B 3B HR R RBI BB IBB SO HBP SF SH GDP SB CS AVG
                                           
2017 2nd Half 72 274 307 84 54 14 2 14 41 54 32 1 59 0 1 0 6 1 2 .307
2018 2nd Half 58 231 251 69 48 7 1 13 31 39 17 2 37 2 1 0 3 1 0 .299

 

37K's in 231AB's! He simply stopped striking out, that is a tremendous rate for a slugger. And the power was the same (fewer ABs), along with a .300AVG which seems fair for someone who hits the ball so hard,. So he clearly reverted to perform at 2017 levels and prove that wasn't a fluke.

 

Buy now as this is the last chance he'll be cheap again folks. I think he'll rebound to .300, 30HRs next year with a ton of Ribs (100+) hitting behind Goldy. 

 

 

 

Yep I called it.

One of the ugliest swings in baseball for a power hitter I gotta say lol. But it works for him, and man is he gonna mash this year.

30HRs is looking light, 40HRs book it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Yep I called it.

One of the ugliest swings in baseball for a power hitter I gotta say lol. But it works for him, and man is he gonna mash this year.

30HRs is looking light, 40HRs book it.

 

[Removed Cool Story]

I can definitely see him reaching 40.  It's scary, but I can also see him pretty much duplicating his 2017 season overall (with maybe a slightly lower average).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man....this guy is in some sort of rut.  BAAAAD...and for a long time now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He didn't even wait or try and explain it to the trainer/Shildt, just walked off.

Looked dislocated, I guess? He was holding it funny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Marcell Ozuna suffered a potential fracture to the middle finger on his right hand on Friday against the Padres and is likely headed to the disabled list.

Advice: He jammed the fingers on his right hand as he dove back into the first base bag while getting picked off. The Cardinals suspect a fracture in his middle finger. Ozuna is slashing .259/.331/.515 with 20 home runs and 62 RBI on the season.

Edited by gbill2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dalton Gang said:

Any guesses on how long he will be out?

4 weeks. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 12:34 PM, gbill2004 said:

4 weeks. 

I know it’s only been a week, but any Cards fans with any updates, is he in a cast?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ozuna (fingers) is continuing his rehabilitation in St. Louis and experienced improvement this week, Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports.
Manager Mike Shildt delivered the encouraging news about Ozuna, although in the same breath, he conceded that the team won't have a firmer timeline on his recovery until after the upcoming All-Star break. Shildt had previously emphasized that Ozuna will need to have full strength back in his injured middle and ring fingers before being seriously considered for activation, considering how critical they are to the slugger being able to grip a bat properly.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 2:48 PM, slaphitter said:

Ozuna (fingers) is continuing his rehabilitation in St. Louis and experienced improvement this week, Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports.
Manager Mike Shildt delivered the encouraging news about Ozuna, although in the same breath, he conceded that the team won't have a firmer timeline on his recovery until after the upcoming All-Star break. Shildt had previously emphasized that Ozuna will need to have full strength back in his injured middle and ring fingers before being seriously considered for activation, considering how critical they are to the slugger being able to grip a bat properly.

Has anyone seen an update? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

Has anyone seen an update? 

I said 4 weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Friday:

The Cardinals remain encouraged by the progress of Ozuna (fingers) and remain hopeful of activating him by the end of July, Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports.
The outfielder hit the injured list June 29 after getting hurt on a pickoff attempt at first base, but reports on him have been encouraging since. Rogers reports Ozuna still has some inflammation in his fingers at this point of his recovery, but the all-important strength he'd lost is returning. "It is about regaining strength, but it's also about not putting it in a position to make it worse," president of baseball operations John Mozeliak said. "I think that's probably the most important aspect to all of this."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this guy have a contract clause that there can be no injury updates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been cleared for baseball activities, so we know he's chewing sunflower seeds and spitting a ton

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slaphitter said:

He's been cleared for baseball activities, so we know he's chewing sunflower seeds and spitting a ton

And constantly adjusting his cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ozuna (fingers) has made a substantial amount of progress in recent days according to manager Mike Shildt, Jake Crouse of MLB.com reports.
The veteran outfielder is apparently finally starting to see the swelling in his hand subside, which is also allowing him to get his grip strength back close to normal. Shildt emphasized that Ozuna particularly made strides in the latter over the last couple of days, and that the slugger will be reevaluated by the medical staff Friday at Busch Stadium as the Cardinals begin a six-game homestand.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...