bjvance5

Yoan Moncada 2019 Outlook

On 4/20/2019 at 10:11 AM, Jmadtown said:

Another moon shot. 452 ft. Based on his numbers this far, is this the breakout we have been waiting for? Anyone have any insight under the hood? 

It definitely seems like it. He’s being more aggressive in the strike zone and crushing the ball this year. I only wish he was better at stealing bases. He’ll still be good even if he doesn’t develop that skill.  

6 hours ago, y2jbones said:

It definitely seems like it. He’s being more aggressive in the strike zone and crushing the ball this year. I only wish he was better at stealing bases. He’ll still be good even if he doesn’t develop that skill.  

He's got to figure it out. Sprint speed was 30+ his rookie year. I imagine it's still close to that now. He should luck into 20+ bags w/ that kind of speed.

Btw, he's tied for fourth in both barrels and exit velo. If he can keep the K rate below 25% why not a .290+ BA to go along with everything else? He just hits lasers when he makes contact.

• Like 1

Slowing down to reality? Back to striking out 2 or so times a day and OPSing .631 past 2 weeks

Might be kind of tough to get in a groove when you're getting rained out once a week.  The White Sox have had 4 games rained out or delayed since 4/20.

2 hours ago, FantasyFiend said:

Slowing down to reality? Back to striking out 2 or so times a day and OPSing .631 past 2 weeks

The book is out on him big-time.  I've watched multiple lefties come into the game, seemingly just for him, and they're throwing nothing but breaking balls down or outside.  I think Oliver Perez's sequencing against him is a perfect example of what they're doing.  Across two at-bats something like eight straight slurves down around the ankles.  

Now, guys who can't get their breaking ball across, he's walking or crushing them when they try to get something else over the plate. He's really improved at identifying and punishing "mistakes" and fastballs anywhere near the plate (so much better than last year, where I was wondering where his head was at sometimes with the pitches he was taking).  Moncada's also doing a much better job of just fouling off stuff he can't handle (which eventually leads to a hanger, a fastball he can handle, or a walk).

I'm a long-time owner and I believe he's going to have a good year and that there is room to grow, but at this point I think his career path in regards to breaking balls is never going to be great.  If it was in him to figure them out innately, he would have done so by now.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Overlord said:

The book is out on him big-time.  I've watched multiple lefties come into the game, seemingly just for him, and they're throwing nothing but breaking balls down or outside.  I think Oliver Perez's sequencing against him is a perfect example of what they're doing.  Across two at-bats something like eight straight slurves down around the ankles.  

Now, guys who can't get their breaking ball across, he's walking or crushing them when they try to get something else over the plate. He's really improved at identifying and punishing "mistakes" and fastballs anywhere near the plate (so much better than last year, where I was wondering where his head was at sometimes with the pitches he was taking).  Moncada's also doing a much better job of just fouling off stuff he can't handle (which eventually leads to a hanger, a fastball he can handle, or a walk).

I'm a long-time owner and I believe he's going to have a good year and that there is room to grow, but at this point I think his career path in regards to breaking balls is never going to be great.  If it was in him to figure them out innately, he would have done so by now.  

He's 23!  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Anyone else watching this guy's at-bats pretty religiously? 

He can't hit a good breaking ball, not from either side.  I'm convinced 100% of his improvement has come from 1.)recognizing and laying off breaking balls that aren't strikes -- he seems to actually be very good at pitch recognition on this front, and 2.)Agressively punishing anything that ISN'T a breaking ball instead of laying off constantly, which was a big problem he had last year. 

He can succeed with that approach, but if he ever becomes even league average at hitting breaking balls, watch out. 

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

Anyone else watching this guy's at-bats pretty religiously? 

He can't hit a good breaking ball, not from either side.  I'm convinced 100% of his improvement has come from 1.)recognizing and laying off breaking balls that aren't strikes -- he seems to actually be very good at pitch recognition on this front, and 2.)Agressively punishing anything that ISN'T a breaking ball instead of laying off constantly, which was a big problem he had last year. 

He can succeed with that approach, but if he ever becomes even league average at hitting breaking balls, watch out. 

He's crushing fastballs like no other, but he's also doing okay against breaking balls. Around a .450 SLG so far with EV of 93 mph and a whiff% down from 43 to 35% compared to last year. Also has 2 HR on breaking pitches so far; had only 3 all of last season. I don't know if he's just hitting the mistake pitches or what, but the outcome on basically everything is better this year. I think a lot of it is just the increased aggression. He's swinging first pitch 30% of the time, and those are the fastballs and breaking pitches that tend to hover closer to the middle of the plate. 

Posted (edited)

It's WILD to say that Moncada "may never" do anything at this point.  He's just barely out of his rookie season, and already looks like a major problem for pitchers in MLB.  His god-given talent is through the roof, plus he's built like a running back, and he has the mental game to work through weaknesses with the breaking ball.  I see a jacked Robinson Cano with more speed.  Moncada, Tim Anderson, and Jimenez are going to be stars for the White Sox while their Pitching prospects figure things out and/or get healthy.

I tell anyone who will listen, that the White Sox will be in 3-4 years, what the Astros are now.  Moncada will be the face of it all.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, HulkSmash said:

It's WILD to say that Moncada "may never" do anything at this point.  He's just barely out of his rookie season, and already looks like a major problem for pitchers in MLB.  His god-given talent is through the roof, plus he's built like a running back, and he has the mental game to work through weaknesses with the breaking ball.  I see a jacked Robinson Cano with more speed.  Moncada, Tim Anderson, and Jimenez are going to be stars for the White Sox while their Pitching prospects figure things out and/or get healthy.

I tell anyone who will listen, that the White Sox will be in 3-4 years, what the Astros are now.  Moncada will be the face of it all.

Interesting you say that - I see the same especially with the swing he has where he rests the bat on his shoulder and is very direct to the ball.  

Obviously, he doesn't have the same contact ability of Cano but if he can keep the strikeouts at a reasonable level, say mid 20% range, then the speed will help offset that quite nicely.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Interesting you say that - I see the same especially with the swing he has where he rests the bat on his shoulder and is very direct to the ball.  

Obviously, he doesn't have the same contact ability of Cano but if he can keep the strikeouts at a reasonable level, say mid 20% range, then the speed will help offset that quite nicely.

There are some players that you can look at their batting stance, and swing, and you just can tell they absolutely believe they're going to crush the ball every at bat.  It's a calm confidence they have in their approach.  Cano has it, along with Moncada, and also Michael Conforto.  Nick Senzel, and Andrew Benetendi, as well.. When they swing the bat, somehow the bat looks like it's bigger, and covers more of the strike zone than anyone else.  There's no statistics to prove this, but it stands out to me big time.  

Seeing almost everyone in MLB has the physical ability to mash, the guys that make it a point to remain laid back, and smile a lot while up to bat, are players I like to roster.  Growing up, I saw Manny Ramirez master this, and I used it in high school and college.  

I think you're right, it's a simple, direct to the ball swing without wasted motion, or jerky movements.  They're in a yoga-like mind set and deliver a strong, controlled swing to the ball.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 1

His 3/4 and 2 HR day is rewarded with a spot on the bench today.

well he *is* 0-12 against carrasco.  I was torn on starting him anyway, so this made that decision easier.

2 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

well he *is* 0-12 against carrasco.  I was torn on starting him anyway, so this made that decision easier.

You were torn on starting Moncada? Lol dear god. Good luck this year!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

yea i was torn on starting him because hes 0-12 against carrasco.

i also have albies to slot into my 2B spot, who is a better matchup.

Edited by crotchcrickets

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I’d say that he’s been blessed with good luck based on where he got Moncada in the draft.

Everyone secretly despises the guy who drafted Moncada in their league.  I’m gonna spend the entire year being pissed off because my plan at 3rd base was Ryan McMahon.  And I’m a Sox fan, for Christ’s sake.

• Haha 1

Along with Tim Anderson batting seventh regularly, sitting Moncada bc of past struggles should not apply to a 2019 landscape where both of these guys are punishing the baseball. Renteria is just set in his ways. My opinion is that limiting at bats for red hot hitters, no matter the matchup, is always an act of pure idiocy. The only exception is if they’re facing a knuckleballer. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Whats the ROS verdict on this guy???  can he bat .270+ with 25/25?

Edited by svtballa
spelling

"Back tightness" now being called a "back strain".

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, BIGFLY4MIKETROUT said:

any news on this guy?

when is he going to the IR

Available off the bench today as well. 

2 hours ago, davidgoretiz said:

Available off the bench today as well. 

He came in but looked like he couldn't swing the bat. Put down a few bunt attempts before taking a K.

I don’t understand the bungling here. Just put him on the IL already and let him get right.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I thought there would be way more discussion on this guy after having a great first half.  He's rated 26th on my player rater right under Betts.  

Edited by knifeparty
  • Like 2