Corleone

Saquon Barkley 2019 Outlook

19 minutes ago, jpark211 said:

BOO Stop being such a negative nancy/debbie downer!

I know. Sorry, I don't want to get my hopes up and have them dashed so I am expecting that the initial prognosis of 4-8 weeks with the 8 weeks being the more like scenario is what will happen. If not, awesome!

2 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

I know. Sorry, I don't want to get my hopes up and have them dashed so I am expecting that the initial prognosis of 4-8 weeks with the 8 weeks being the more like scenario is what will happen. If not, awesome!

Yea its just that doctors are typically very conservative (to save their asses) when they give their prognosis. Lets just hope its on the shorter end!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

So, with Tevin Coleman set to suit back up in Week 5, this gives me hope that Saquon can be back on the shorter end of the projected recovery period. I'd still expect 4-6 weeks timeline after today though if it comes back good news.

Coleman is probably also very motivated to get back ASAP to:

1.  Fight for his job in the ridiculously crowded SF backfield; and
2.  Play for this 3-0 team.

Barkley, on the other hand, has his job in the bag and plays for the Giants.  If he's smart, he won't rush back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KennyWoo said:

Coleman is probably also very motivated to get back ASAP to:

1.  Fight for his job in the ridiculously crowded SF backfield; and
2.  Play for this 3-0 team.

Barkley, on the other hand, has his job in the bag and plays for the Giants.  If he's smart, he won't rush back.

It's also Saquon Barkley. He's a competitor and will definitely try to be back to help his team. Listen to his post game interview if you don't believe me. That's what he said

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

It's also Saquon Barkley. He's a competitor and will definitely try to be back to help his team. Listen to his post game interview if you don't believe me. That's what he said

What would you expect him to say?  "I'm looking forward to lounging around since they have to pay me anyway?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, KennyWoo said:

What would you expect him to say?  "I'm looking forward to lounging around since they have to pay me anyway?"

He said it voluntarily, not as a response to a question asked. So he could have said nothing about it if he wanted

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Saquons injury seems more severe, from the initial look of it, to the initial timeline, to the second opinion. idk, i know they are both high ankle sprains but either Tevin is desperate to get back out there and fight for his job, or his was considerably more mild in nature.

Just as long as he doesn't end up like this during his time off...

tenor.gif

I wish we heard the results from the second opinion though.

9 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

Saquons injury seems more severe, from the initial look of it, to the initial timeline, to the second opinion. idk, i know they are both high ankle sprains but either Tevin is desperate to get back out there and fight for his job, or his was considerably more mild in nature.

Really? I rewatched the hit and it was hard to tell what even happened 

Just now, dlionsfan901 said:

What happened to the second opinion? 

No word yet... been eagerly waiting for this info!

So per the Bleacher report this morning, the 2nd opinion received recommended against "tightrope" surgery. This is the same surgery that Tua had for AL.

This is an interesting read on the surgery and Tua:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/01/06/tua-tagovailoa-ankle-surgery-alabama-injuries-tightrope

I find this encouraging.

If Tua came back within a month with the surgery, I've got to think Barkley is thinking he can get back on the low end of the timeline (and avoid any kind of invasive surgery...even if it takes only 25 minutes).

14 hours ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

The man was jumping around in joy on one leg after the Bucs win, seems like a guy who loves his team and would do anything to help them win

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jpark211 said:

No word yet... been eagerly waiting for this info!

There has been no change in treatment. Doctor did not recommend anything different. 

47 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

So per the Bleacher report this morning, the 2nd opinion received recommended against "tightrope" surgery. This is the same surgery that Tua had for AL.

This is an interesting read on the surgery and Tua:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/01/06/tua-tagovailoa-ankle-surgery-alabama-injuries-tightrope

I find this encouraging.

If Tua came back within a month with the surgery, I've got to think Barkley is thinking he can get back on the low end of the timeline (and avoid any kind of invasive surgery...even if it takes only 25 minutes).

So about 4-6 weeks?

No surgery, not going on IR, but refusal to divulge a time table is mighty concerning.

8 minutes ago, CooL said:

No surgery, not going on IR, but refusal to divulge a time table is mighty concerning.

But there is a timetable, and I don't think anyone really expected surgery for a high ankle sprain.  He'll be back in 4-8 weeks, with unfortunately because of the placement of the bye week, probably on the long end.  The second opinion seems to all but confirm that, barring a potential early recovery by Barkley.

There's way too much unsubstantiated doom and gloom in this thread.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dschddny said:

How many weeks would it have been if he were put on IR?  Has to be less than that at least...

doesn't have to be. if he was on ir he has to miss a certain amount of time. believe 8 weeks have no idea actually, but why would you put ur best player on ir if he has a realistic chance at making it back early. that doesn't rule out the possibility that it takes him 6+ weeks to heal.  

Edited by colepenhagen

I think this situation is a bit fluid, and I'm holding for a week at least before deciding on selling or not. It wouldn't surprise me if we start to hear he's feeling better than expected in 10-14 days and we're closer to the 4 week absence than the 8.  That being said I'm not sure even the team knows how his body will respond, and I think it was a more severe sprain than it was a mild one, which is why we have such a large window of 4 to 8 weeks.  Again tho, I'm holding at least until next weekend to see if anything changes.