Sign in to follow this  
Members_Only_76

Nelson Cruz 2019 Outlook

Twins designated hitter Nelson Cruz was cleared to resume his hitting program today by Dr. Thomas Graham, according to Dustin Morse, who works for the Twins in their communications department. Morse adds, "It was determined no surgery is required on his left wrist and he can resume baseball activities when he joins the team in Milwaukee."(David Morse)

Fantasy Impact:

This is the best case scenario for Cruz, as it was feared when he injured his left wrist for the second time this season that he could be headed for a lengthy stay on the injured list. Now, it sounds like he could return sooner rather than later, though he might have to deal with his wrist injury for the rest of the season. Cruz is batting .294 on the year with 32 home runs.

Mike Maher, moments ago

2 hours ago, terminator10 said:

Any one know about this injury and how it may impact his power ROS?

I saw people throwing out Justin Morneau from 2012 as a comparison last week when it happened. I checked out Morneau's numbers from that season (the 2nd Half after he tore it), and his OPS was actually on par with, if not slightly higher than, what he did over the course of that season. I don't think we can expect 16 HR in 25 games after Cruz comes back, but I don't see why he won't be able to OPS 900+. 

when I saw "ruptured" my first thought was damn done for the season. ruptured sounds awful, but apparently it's not a big deal and he will off the IL when eligible and able to remain a power threat.

58 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

when I saw "ruptured" my first thought was damn done for the season. ruptured sounds awful, but apparently it's not a big deal and he will off the IL when eligible and able to remain a power threat.

Source?  There's a source stating he should be able to return "before September" which implies a different timeline. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, 80version said:

Source?  There's a source stating he should be able to return "before September" which implies a different timeline. 

Cruz said "it's looking like" it will be a minimum 10-day DL stay in his scrum after the news broke. I think that's what specialFNK is referring to. 

Edited by NoHablaIngles
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2019 at 10:07 AM, jvfantasy said:

Save Cruz for the playoffs??? They can't save anyone for the playoffs. I'll say there is < 5% chance they IL Cruz. The Indians are 1 GB of them (and getting Kluber back very soon) in the Central, and Oakland or Tampa could easily make up ground if Min falls to a wildcard race. Yes they could rush him back from IL if they slip, but every game matters at this point.

Oof

Don't own him and don't pretend to be an e-doctor, but this just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Playing through a ruptured tendon in your wrist? Sounds like something Mets doctors would suggest.

10 hours ago, emcllns said:

Oof

My HIGHLY scientific projections were off haha, but the sentiment still holds. Twins are 2-2 without Cruz, and playing at .500 will not get them into the playoffs. Indians are now .5 GB. Twins' season is over. They weren't saving anyone for the playoffs.

3 hours ago, bradwatson said:

Don't own him and don't pretend to be an e-doctor, but this just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Playing through a ruptured tendon in your wrist? Sounds like something Mets doctors would suggest.

There's precedent of return and success. 

Off the IL and in the lineup.😎

How's he look for weekly lineups this week ? Rolling the Dice hopefully for a few solid games at the tail end of the week.....

shoot, I don' think i can start him this week with such limited info 😞

11 minutes ago, Dr. Strangeglove said:

Boomstick is in the lineup today.  Has good numbers vs the next three pitchers, though the week is full of good opposing pitchers.  Anyone confident Cruz will play all week?

NOBODY can answer that...all depends on how much stress from each at bat gets put on that wrist