Joe Odam

Derrius Guice 2019 Outlook

Can confirm the Derrius Guice injury is to the meniscus. Timeline is still up in the air. One belief is could be back by next Monday if things go well. Another source says could be up to four weeks. #Redskins

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BLINDSIDERS said:

Added Guice to my DND list.

Was Dalvin Cook on there? These guys play the most brutal position in the game. 

3 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Was Dalvin Cook on there? These guys play the most brutal position in the game. 

Good point there fella. Just thinking out loud.

I'm holding for now but only because of our league set-up,2 keeper league and 1 IR slot.

Of the course the video I posted a few weeks ago where he was all cocky about being non injury prone isn't setting well with me,karma got him quick on that one.

1 hour ago, Robrain said:

Why would you undergo stem cell whatever to avoid a surgery with a 2-3 week recovery timeframe?

I don’t know in this specific case but generally surgery has a chance to fail so it’s a risk/reward decision.   I saw 4-6 weeks as a recovery time when googling but it seems to depend on the location and severity of the tear.  

1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

I don’t know in this specific case but generally surgery has a chance to fail so it’s a risk/reward decision.   I saw 4-6 weeks as a recovery time when googling but it seems to depend on the location and severity of the tear.  

He'll have the option to snip out the bad meniscus (week 3 in play) or repair it (more like 8 weeks).

If you snip it, you risk long term arthritis with less padding in the joint.

3 hours ago, Robrain said:

Why would you undergo stem cell whatever to avoid a surgery with a 2-3 week recovery timeframe?

Each meniscus tear is a bit different. The issue with the meniscus is that there is limited to no blood flow to certain parts which is why it does heal. Most "clean-ups" are removing parts of meniscus that are torn so they don't keep getting caught in the joint. Depending on the tear he could be hoping to avoid surgery in hopes it will heal. You can play through it if it doesn't cause issues and lock-up with debris in the joint. When I tore mine it kept getting stuck in the knee joint so I had 40% of it removed.

He's hoping the stem cell treatment will help it heal and avoid surgery. 

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

He'll have the option to snip out the bad meniscus (week 3 in play) or repair it (more like 8 weeks).

If you snip it, you risk long term arthritis with less padding in the joint.

This is true, and a repair can be even longer than 8 weeks. I should also mention a repair is not always an option depending on where/how it is torn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone have twitter , can y'all tweet Yahoo Fantasy to update this chum to Out so he can be IR eligible . Would be most grateful 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunCMC said:

Anyone have twitter , can y'all tweet Yahoo Fantasy to update this chum to Out so he can be IR eligible . Would be most grateful 

Been waiting all day for this. Hoping they do it by tomorrow. Maybe throw Thompson in his place! 

5 hours ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Can confirm the Derrius Guice injury is to the meniscus. Timeline is still up in the air. One belief is could be back by next Monday if things go well. Another source says could be up to four weeks. #Redskins

The Redskins medical staff operates like a local mechanic.  Hell, they might be local mechanics.

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

The Redskins medical staff operates like a local mechanic.  Hell, they might be local mechanics.

Ugh, I really hope they let him rest rather than rushing (ha) back. Wonder if Gruden isn't forcing it given the position he's in... also wonder if Guice feels like he needs to prove something given all of his time off.

Bryce Love in the background can't be helping either.

5 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

I know the severity probably does have a part to play in the recovery timetable, but I can't really remember m/any players coming back from that surgery and immediately looking or feeling 100% themselves, especially on the shorter end of that timetable.

4 hours ago, Big Nate said:

Each meniscus tear is a bit different. The issue with the meniscus is that there is limited to no blood flow to certain parts which is why it does heal. Most "clean-ups" are removing parts of meniscus that are torn so they don't keep getting caught in the joint. Depending on the tear he could be hoping to avoid surgery in hopes it will heal. You can play through it if it doesn't cause issues and lock-up with debris in the joint. When I tore mine it kept getting stuck in the knee joint so I had 40% of it removed.

He's hoping the stem cell treatment will help it heal and avoid surgery. 

Quality response.  Thank you.

Holding for now. Will probably regret missing on early waiver pickups because of this guy.

Hoping he comes back strong.

1 hour ago, tpat30 said:

Holding for now. Will probably regret missing on early waiver pickups because of this guy.

You shouldn’t hold. 

6 hours ago, tpat30 said:

Yeah, I just can't justify it, but good luck! Bye everyone.

Holding in a keeper league, i'd probably be cutting in redraft unless it was a 14 team or deeper.

• Like 1

He's a hold for me in keeper/dynasty and I have to hope for the best.  If he goes non-surgery route he could be back in a week or three. The reason they don't know the exact timetable is it depends on how his knee is responding and healing.  Often when you tear your meniscus it swells and there is fluid build up. It makes it difficult to bend your knee. Getting in and out of a car for example can be really painful. Squating can be rough. Sometimes it only takes a week and sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks before the swelling and stiffness goes down. I'm pretty sure with their medical staff, if he doesn't go for surgery they can probably get him back in a week or 2. 

Having said all that there is continued risk for debris in the knee to get stuck or the meniscus to keep tearing.  He's probably worried about surgery since he had complications with his last one with the ACL repair.  He's probably gun shy but I bet at some point this season, or more likely this offseason he will need a clean up surgery.

The one player I always think about when it comes to knee surgeries and balls out is Russell Westbrook.  He's had at least 3 surgeries for his mensicus tears and continues to ball out at a high level.  Westrbrook also underwent a platelet rich plasma injection once to help the healing without getting another surgery:

Platelet rich plasma is a method that includes drawing blood and spinning that blood down to create new blood with a higher concentration of plasma. That high concentration of plasma helps muscles, tendons and ligaments heal faster.

15 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Most of them are actually Mets medical staff moonlighting.