Joe Odam

Derrius Guice 2019 Outlook

He's a definite cut in redraft.  I don't see a path to reliable value this year.  Are you really gonna start him in fantasy playoffs after missing all that time?  I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do that.

I even cut him in a keeper league.  I don't want to burn 8 weeks of dead roster weight, possibly more, plus a prove it game week, before I'd even consider starting him.  He might be worth a keep next year, but there won't be much production to base that decision on.  He strikes me as a very risky keeper at this point.

In contrast, I have no issues hanging on tight to Kareem Hunt in the same keeper league.  He's got a proven track record of elite production at this level, he's not injury prone, he's not returning from an injury, and he very well could be back in game action before Guice.

Edited by Trifecta

17 hours ago, HarambeLives said:

I’m sure you can find plenty of other basketball players with similar issues that their careers ended over this. Such an irrelevant fact you brought into this. 

Over meniscus?!

• Like 2

Let me say this for the people with short memories in the back of the room-

Joe Mixon had this injury last year and missed 2 weeks. 

One more time-

Joe Mixon 

Last year 

Same injury

Two weeks

If you thought he was a playmaker during your draft, he's the same guy, you just can't use him for 2 weeks. If he did get this snipped this week, he'll be standing on the sidelines this week. If he got it repaired, yeah, drop away. 

6 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

Let me say this for the people with short memories in the back of the room-

Joe Mixon had this injury last year and missed 2 weeks. 

One more time-

Joe Mixon 

Last year 

Same injury

Two weeks

If you thought he was a playmaker during your draft, he's the same guy, you just can't use him for 2 weeks. If he did get this snipped this week, he'll be standing on the sidelines this week. If he got it repaired, yeah, drop away. 

I really don't think it was a simple cleanup. It sounds like a repair. Also, the difference is he has proven nothing and Washington is a dumpster fire. That's why it's hard to keep him on roster when you don't have an IR spot or if your IR spot is already full. With Mixon it was worth the gamble because he was on a decent team where you knew his actual usage. That wasn't much of a dart throw like holding Guice.

23 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I really don't think it was a simple cleanup. It sounds like a repair. Also, the difference is he has proven nothing and Washington is a dumpster fire. That's why it's hard to keep him on roster when you don't have an IR spot or if your IR spot is already full. With Mixon it was worth the gamble because he was on a decent team where you knew his actual usage. That wasn't much of a dart throw like holding Guice.

The source I can find (Rapaport's twitter) that sort of details it isn't 100% clear, but it does specifically say "trim a torn meniscus".

If you own him, you should know about his situation already. 

21 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

The source I can find (Rapaport's twitter) that sort of details it isn't 100% clear, but it does specifically say "trim a torn meniscus".

If you own him, you should know about his situation already. 

I don't believe Mixon was ever reported to possibly be out 4-6 weeks. It was always 2-4. And also, that news came back pretty quickly.

"Two days after suffering an injury during his Cincinnati Bengals' Thursday night win over the Baltimore Ravens, running back Joe Mixon has successfully undergone arthroscopic knee surgery and is expected to miss between two and four weeks.

That's according to ESPN's Adam Schefter and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the former of whom said Friday that Mixon's procedure was "to remove a small particle in his knee that was dislodged" -- a dislodging that may have resulted from a previous injury."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27600991/source-redskins-guice-knee-6-8-weeks

Washington Redskins running back Derrius Guice underwent knee surgery to repair his right meniscus and will miss six to eight weeks, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday.

Guice tore his meniscus in Sunday's 32-27 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. The Redskins initially hoped he would miss only a couple of weeks, but the knee didn't show any improvement in the days after the game.

He was then examined by Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery.

"I don't have a concern with him getting back to full strength," Gruden said of Guice's recovery. "He came back extremely strong with the much more damaged knee last time. This is a minor procedure from what I've been told and he will be back. Great kid, works extremely hard and eventually he's going to show Redskin Nation what he's all about."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FitzMagic said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27600991/source-redskins-guice-knee-6-8-weeks

Washington Redskins running back Derrius Guice underwent knee surgery to repair his right meniscus and will miss six to eight weeks, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday.

Guice tore his meniscus in Sunday's 32-27 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. The Redskins initially hoped he would miss only a couple of weeks, but the knee didn't show any improvement in the days after the game.

He was then examined by Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery.

"I don't have a concern with him getting back to full strength," Gruden said of Guice's recovery. "He came back extremely strong with the much more damaged knee last time. This is a minor procedure from what I've been told and he will be back. Great kid, works extremely hard and eventually he's going to show Redskin Nation what he's all about."

This one says repair, and nothing about snip, hence ER. Rapaport fails.

5 minutes ago, The Caucasian Sensation said:

Rap Sheet just said the Skins placed him on IR

Yeah, so this puts him coming back at Week 11, since their bye is Week 10.

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Yes, yes, you should all continue rostering this valuable asset. It will surely pay off.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I assume the Skins will be completely out of it by the time he's able to return. Would they just hold him out for the rest of the season, or would they unleash him (assuming he makes a full recovery) to see what they have in the future? Thinking of sending a low ball offer to the owner that sees his IR designation and thinks he's completely cooked. Could do worse at the end of the bench for guys you're hoping for a boon in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I assume the Skins will be completely out of it by the time he's able to return. Would they just hold him out for the rest of the season, or would they unleash him (assuming he makes a full recovery) to see what they have in the future? Thinking of sending a low ball offer to the owner that sees his IR designation and thinks he's completely cooked. Could do worse at the end of the bench for guys you're hoping for a boon in the playoffs.

I don't think he's cooked and he's worth stashing on IR. However, taking up a regular roster spot shouldn't be an option. There is no way now that he comes back until after the bye. I seriously doubt they'd throw him in there with a full workload. If eased in he'd be ready for the fantasy playoffs, I'd assume. I guess as a desperation play, sure. That would be a tough one though. The first three weeks of the season is critical in acquiring these breakout players. Burning a roster spot on Guice isn't really too smart.

Edited by FitzMagic

4 hours ago, Bigfische said:

Over meniscus?!

Think you missed the part that said “issues” not just his meniscus. If you own him you should know about his situation already. Gonna have more problems down the road football wise with a repaired meniscus over a snipped one. 

Edited by HarambeLives

Even if he comes back after missing exactly 8 games, and even if he immediately resumes the unquestioned lead role in Week 11 with AP returning to healthy scratch status, how can you ever trust that he won't just get injured again after playing a few snaps? Some players just can't stay healthy after facing NFL action.