Sign in to follow this  
Joe Odam

Derrius Guice 2019 Outlook

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

Adrian Peterson re-upping for a 2 year deal with Washington throws doubt to the health of Guice and whether he will be able to contribute much in 2019.

Sounds like the recovery is not ahead of schedule

24 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Not necessarily. AP makes a terrific veteran backup to Guice, and takes some of the pressure off. Doesn’t automatically point to anything about Guice’s recovery.

• Thanks 1

2 year $8 million deal but the second year is an option. Base salary is $2.5 million the first year. Sounds like an insurance policy until Guice is 100%

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dashoe said:

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

DND for me now.

L-M-A-to the O

Yes, he's finished. This is AP's job. 

🤣😂🤣

My immediate take:  Peterson's not just sitting the bench here, especially early in the season.   But I think by the end of the year, at some point, Guice takes the reigns if he's in the lineup.   Could be a Hyde/Chubb thing.    

I wouldn't totally shy away from Guice, but I also wouldn't want to have to spend a ton and need immediate results.   He's on my early list of guys to buy low on in early season trades.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, BrianM said:

My immediate take:  Peterson's not just sitting the bench here, especially early in the season.   But I think by the end of the year, at some point, Guice takes the reigns if he's in the lineup.   Could be a Hyde/Chubb thing.    

I wouldn't totally shy away from Guice, but I also wouldn't want to have to spend a ton and need immediate results.   He's on my early list of guys to buy low on in early season trades.

feels like a murray vs cook situation where f you were hoping for Dalvin to be a stud at the start of the season you were in trouble Could be a 2nd half of a season appearance for guice

Edited by dashoe

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BrianM said:

Could be a Hyde/Chubb thing.

This would be my guess. 

Edited by Bandito

7 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Not necessarily. AP makes a terrific veteran backup to Guice, and takes some of the pressure off. Doesn’t automatically point to anything about Guice’s recovery.

AP doesnt settle for backup duties. If Guice even plays its a 1a, 1b thing at minimum. DND both IMO. Plus Chris Thompson might be back at some point...? yea no thanks

6 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

AP doesnt settle for backup duties. If Guice even plays its a 1a, 1b thing at minimum. DND both IMO. Plus Chris Thompson might be back at some point...? yea no thanks

I think you’re overestimating AP’s options. I don’t imagine his phone is ringing off the hook with teams begging to sign him. His choice was probably re-sign with Washington or not play in the NFL.

AP was probably told “as long as you’re more productive than Guice you’re the “starter”, and Guice is being told you need to take it from AP. Makes perfect sense for Washington. 

just going to be a RBBC. Best chance is to learn from a elite running back at one time. Thompson can teach him with pass duties. Guice may not have a huge season this year, but he has people around him to learn from.

13 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

L-M-A-to the O

Yes, he's finished. This is AP's job. 

🤣😂🤣

They will both play. ADP isn't signing to back up a rookie.

19 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

They will both play. ADP isn't signing to back up a rookie.

How soon they all forget the  SIDELINE DEATH GLARE he gave Payton.

He did not resign to not play.👁️

1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:
YmjJlQyB_bigger.jpg
2️⃣9️⃣

Getting AP back and having CT is huge for my development as a PRO in every aspect

Quoting myself just to point out how much I love Guice’s response to the AP signing. Learn from the best to be the best. Great attitude Derrius, take your time getting strong like ox.

10 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Quoting myself just to point out how much I love Guice’s response to the AP signing. Learn from the best to be the best. Great attitude Derrius, take your time getting strong like ox.

Kamara sad similar things about AP so not surprising that these young players respect AP.

3 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I think you’re overestimating AP’s options. I don’t imagine his phone is ringing off the hook with teams begging to sign him. His choice was probably re-sign with Washington or not play in the NFL.

AP was probably told “as long as you’re more productive than Guice you’re the “starter”, and Guice is being told you need to take it from AP. Makes perfect sense for Washington. 

I would think the Raiders and Bucs could have used his services.

59 minutes ago, devaster said:

I would think the Raiders and Bucs could have used his services.

The Bucs would have been a good spot imo

if (when Guice) proves fully healthy, he will be impossible to keep off the field. His talent/explosion is light years ahead of AP at 34 yo. How quickly we forget Guice was talked about in the same circle as Barkley leading up to last year's draft talent wise. 

6 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

if (when Guice) proves fully healthy, he will be impossible to keep off the field. His talent/explosion is light years ahead of AP at 34 yo. How quickly we forget Guice was talked about in the same circle as Barkley leading up to last year's draft talent wise. 

Do you have any articles about the Barkley thing? All I saw was that Barkley was miles ahead of all the other RBs 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Do you have any articles about the Barkley thing? All I saw was that Barkley was miles ahead of all the other RBs 

www.google.com yields many results on this discussion...to include several in depth youtube videos.  Gil Brandt ranked them 1 & 2 immediately following the draft as well. There were multiple sources that actually preferred Guice to Saquon.  The dude is an instant pro bowl talent. He's not going to hold AP's jock on the sidelines. AP will be the one giving Guice a blow when needed. The market for AP was minimal, therefor he re-signed. They drafted Guice to be THE guy and they lost out on an entire season of it. That won't happen again if he's 100. Pretty simple stuff. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000934005/article/saquon-barkley-derrius-guice-will-lead-rookie-running-backs

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/17/17247560/derrius-guice-saquon-barkley-2018-nfl-draft

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2018/04/nfl_draft_2018_is_derrius_guice_a_better_runner_than_saquon.html

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/04/scot-mccloughan-preferred-derrius-guice-to-saquon-barkley/

11 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

www.google.com yields many results on this discussion...to include several in depth youtube videos.  Gil Brandt ranked them 1 & 2 immediately following the draft as well. There were multiple sources that actually preferred Guice to Saquon.  The dude is an instant pro bowl talent. He's not going to hold AP's jock on the sidelines. AP will be the one giving Guice a blow when needed. The market for AP was minimal, therefor he re-signed. They drafted Guice to be THE guy and they lost out on an entire season of it. That won't happen again if he's 100. Pretty simple stuff. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000934005/article/saquon-barkley-derrius-guice-will-lead-rookie-running-backs

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/17/17247560/derrius-guice-saquon-barkley-2018-nfl-draft

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2018/04/nfl_draft_2018_is_derrius_guice_a_better_runner_than_saquon.html

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/04/scot-mccloughan-preferred-derrius-guice-to-saquon-barkley/

appreciate the links without the sass. I'll look into those. 

Seeing what we saw last year it will be tough to come close to the talent Barkley is.

• Like 1

"I’ve told him one time, ‘Man, you got to take it easy.’ But it’s hard to do that," Thompson said of Guice. "He’s just one of those guys, he’s a freak. He’s a freak of nature. I honestly think he’s going to have a recovery process like AP did."

"We’re planning on him being the guy this year," Thompson said of Guice.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/chris-thompson-told-derrius-guice-take-it-easy-working-his-way-back-knee-injury

Edited by Lamont Sanford

On 3/13/2019 at 11:26 PM, SyNdicateZ said:

AP doesnt settle for backup duties. 

He's gonna have to. Or it's gonna be another New Orleans where he complains himself to another team. 

Could the knee be a lingering problem? It stems back to his college days in 2017 with a hyperextended knee that he didnt get surgery for. Ends up being the same one he went down with for the ACL.