munde53

Nick Chubb 2019 Outlook

14 minutes ago, Mkrak23 said:

This is the definition of over worrying.  If the guy is a beast(which he is), Cleveland will want to put it in his hands.  He is not a 10 touch guy either, he is a volume runner that beats the hell out of defenders that get in his way.  He is right there with Barkley in terms of running talent(I’d argue better).  Barkley is a better catcher. Don’t overthink this

Kareem Hunt is a 23 year old  pro bowl running back in his prime. If you aren't worried about what happens when he returns you are underthinking this.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

Kareem Hunt is a 23 year old  pro bowl running back in his prime. If you aren't worried about what happens when he returns you are underthinking this.  

I think both sides of this debate are being myopic. You’re omitting the obvious elephant in the room that this isn’t your typical “once the suspension is over...” situation. If he comes back without off field issues / problems in the meantime then yes Chubb owners should be worried. That is not a given.

Chubb would be an easy first round pick if people were underthinking this. I’ve seen him go late first to early 3rd meaning, like Gurley, there is a perceived unknown to his value.

Simply put, everyone is worried but it’s a question of degree that there is not a consensus on.

• Like 1

So if we get 8 weeks of chubb getting all the touches and it's a 70/30 split when hunt returns, when would you take him in ppr?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Magoo said:

I think both sides of this debate are being myopic. You’re omitting the obvious elephant in the room that this isn’t your typical “once the suspension is over...” situation. If he comes back without off field issues / problems in the meantime then yes Chubb owners should be worried. That is not a given.

Chubb would be an easy first round pick if people were underthinking this. I’ve seen him go late first to early 3rd meaning, like Gurley, there is a perceived unknown to his value.

Simply put, everyone is worried but it’s a question of degree that there is not a consensus on.

I have to disagree. I’m a dynasty Chubb owner, and and my worry-o-meter is inactive. Aware? Sure. Worried, no.

Somebody is going to be spelling Chubb all season, just as Duke Johnson, a talented back in his own right, did last year. Even if Hunt ends up taking a slightly larger piece of the Cleveland pie than Duke Johnson does, Nick Chubb will remain the starting and goal line back for what should likely be one of the best offenses in the NFL. If having a player like that in a situation like that is a major concern for your team, you should have nothing to worry about. I wish all the players on my team had a worry-o-meter that mirrored Nick Chubb’s. Unfortunately, some of my players have much more cause for concern. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford

3 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

I genuinely don't understand the nonchalance with which the pro-Chubb crowd is dismissing the idea that Hunt could be more than a COP back upon his return. 

Still nobody has answered the question I've asked a couple times in here. Why would Cleveland go out 2+ months after that video leaked and sign Hunt...taking on the controversy/PR hit affiliated with...if they did not plan on using him? Making that move was not an easy decision for Cleveland, especially with the incident still rather fresh. If they were simply looking for depth, I think they would have gone in a different direction. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

I genuinely don't understand the nonchalance with which the pro-Chubb crowd is dismissing the idea that Hunt could be more than a COP back upon his return. 

Still nobody has answered the question I've asked a couple times in here. Why would Cleveland go out 2+ months after that video leaked and sign Hunt...taking on the controversy/PR hit affiliated with...if they did not plan on using him? Making that move was not an easy decision for Cleveland, especially with the incident still rather fresh. If they were simply looking for depth, I think they would have gone in a different direction. 

I’ll answer it.

Cleveland went out and signed Kareem Hunt because he was a very good RB who could be acquired incredibly cheaply. The “PR hit” you reference was massively overestimated, and Cleveland was smart enough to know this, evidently to the surprise of many other teams who were too scared to take advantage of the situation. It wasn’t a difficult decision at all for Cleveland, though no reason to come out and say that. 

And they do plan on using him. Or trading him. Or both. As far as usage, the lengthy suspension Hunt is serving makes it almost impossible for the team to view him as anything more than a role player upon his eligibility in 2019. The real payoff for Cleveland may be in the form of a Hunt trade at some point. 

1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I’ll answer it.

Cleveland went out and signed Kareem Hunt because he was a very good RB who could be acquired incredibly cheaply. The “PR hit” you reference was massively overestimated, and Cleveland was smart enough to know this, evidently to the surprise of many other teams who were too scared to take advantage of the situation. It wasn’t a difficult decision at all for Cleveland, though no reason to come out and say that. 

And they do plan on using him. Or trading him. Or both. As far as usage, the lengthy suspension Hunt is serving makes it almost impossible for the team to view him as anything more than a role player upon his eligibility in 2019. The real payoff for Cleveland may be in the form of a Hunt trade at some point. 

They could trade him but the same reason they got him cheap could make it tough to find a trade partner. It's not like the browns were the only team who thought that he could be a commodity at some point..

Since you can never just assume he will be traded you have to deal with the reality that at some point in the season the browns will have two amazing running backs. 

I own Chubb in a keeper league. I hope Hunt doesn't become an issue but there is a difference between hoping and dealing with reality. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I’ll answer it.

If they want to trade him they’ll have to play him and show he’s still got it, otherwise he’s still the same guy anyone could have signed for peanuts in the offseason. Why would team B trade anything for a guy who was a role player upon his reinstatement? Sure he’s further removed from his incident, but he’s also further removed from meaningful performance. 

At minimum Hunts return will cap Chubbs upside. He is gonna have fresh legs when he returns and will be used in the passing game. If Chubb gets dinged up they will be less likely to put him back in because they can use Hunt. If Chubb is questionable they may decide to rest him another week. If Hunt is in the game and running well and the offense is moving the ball they may just go with the hot hand for that drive. 

It's Chubbs job but you have to believe that Hunts presence will cut into his totals. 

I'm assuming there will be no more suspensions and Hunt doesn't get traded or cut.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fierylady said:

If they want to trade him they’ll have to play him and show he’s still got it, otherwise he’s still the same guy anyone could have signed for peanuts in the offseason. Why would team B trade anything for a guy who was a role player upon his reinstatement? Sure he’s further removed from his incident, but he’s also further removed from meaningful performance. 

I don't think that matters at all. Everyone knows he's got the goods. A reduced role for half a season doesn't change that in the least. I will be surprised if someone doesn't step up and start talking trade. The thing is will the Browns get greedy and ask too much?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mkrak23 said:

This is the definition of over worrying.  If the guy is a beast(which he is), Cleveland will want to put it in his hands.  

What if they have two beasts?

The Chubb/Hunt debate aside, is Chubb a slam dunk RB1 for the first 8 games?

I’ve heard concerns about the OL this year. Any cause for concern?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, gufomel said:

Uhm I dont think it's a slam dunk.

In weeks 10 through 17 (8 games) he was the rb9 overall in half ppr. Dalvin cook and fournette only played in 7 games during that span Aaron Jones and lindsay only played in 6 games and gurely and Melvin gordan only played in 5 games. Oh and bell played in 0 and these guys all finished behind chubb during those 8 weeks. And Derrick Henry is supposedly being used like earl Campbell this year so maybe he finishes ahead of chubb the first 8 weeks too. 

I honestly dont think chubb is the super elite back alot of ppl think he is. I think hes just the next Jordan Howard... I kno I kno I'm an idiot it's just my stupid opinion.

Edited by Stonej14

Posted (edited)

If Chubb is lighting it up and the Browns are 5-3 or 6-2 and the organization is on their way to a playoff berth they will not be making any drastic changes to the formula. Chubb will be entrenched as the clear lead back.

If they are sinking or Chubb is playing poorly then you should be worried.

The way I see it is you believe in the Browns this year or you don't. If they are winning and kicking a$$ you have little to worry about with Chubb's role in the offense.

Especially a losing franchise like the Browns, if they find a winning formula I don't believe they will make any significant changes to the offense.

I mean it's the Browns after all they could suck or mismanage their talent.

Edited by roadawg

15 minutes ago, gufomel said:

If not, pretty close to it. The Browns lost Zeitler but project as a sort of "OK" OL. Chubb showed his talent last year and the team is just stacked on offense. Love him the first 8 wks.

45 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

In weeks 10 through 17 (8 games) he was the rb9 overall in half ppr. Dalvin cook and fournette only played in 7 games during that span Aaron Jones and lindsay only played in 6 games and gurely and Melvin gordan only played in 5 games. Oh and bell played in 0 and these guys all finished behind chubb during those 8 weeks. And Derrick Henry is supposedly being used like earl Campbell this year so maybe he finishes ahead of chubb the first 8 weeks too. 

I honestly dont think chubb is the super elite back alot of ppl think he is. I think hes just the next Jordan Howard... I kno I kno I'm an idiot it's just my stupid opinion.

Lol

48 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

I am not following the logic here.

20 minutes ago, Onion said:

I am not following the logic here.

What dont you get bud? 

10 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I’ll answer it.

Nailed it.

I made a point as well that there were plenty of AFC teams who could've signed him for cheap (even within the Browns division.)

Hunt will get 6-8 touches a game, Chubb 16-18.

I am so confused... chubb was a beast at the end of last year... now odell there to take more pressure off??? People way over thinking this... hunt won't waltz right into touches upon his return... or he would have signed with another team...meaning if he was gonna garner touches someone else would have taken a stab... 

12 hours ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

Bc no one actually cares about a PR controversy. They got hunt for free and now have the best backup rb in the league. The press has already forgotten about it and moved on to others like tyreek. The goal of most teams is to win, not field the roster with the best character. 

8 hours ago, hard1 said:

I am so confused... chubb was a beast at the end of last year... now odell there to take more pressure off??? People way over thinking this... hunt won't waltz right into touches upon his return... or he would have signed with another team...meaning if he was gonna garner touches someone else would have taken a stab... 

Then why didn't they? IIRC correctly nobody else made a move to get him.

Again we have no idea how many touches he'll get in the second half, but IMO no way does he just sit there on the bench. If for no other reason than to show him off for trade bait, he'll be in there. 

6 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

The goal of most teams is to win, not field the roster with the best character. 

This is sadly true, it varies but most teams don't really care much about what a POS a player is if he's good enough they'll ignore it and so will the fans. 

I think chubb is safer than what most think. also think you will be able to find a trade partner after the 1st 4-6 weeks of the season if hes going off. someone that is struggling in ur league will take the gamble and trade for him. (if you want to move him and limit the risk) but have a feeling he will be one of the most valuable players to start the year.

I don't think he's a bad pick, but if you think Hunt isn't going to get alot of touches as soon as he's back I think you're nuts

• Like 1