joebaker23

James Conner 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

If Samuels is about to step up and turn this into a true committee, one thing is clear: he’s going to have to work hard this off-season on his pass pro.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t want to give the wrong impression. I’m not implying Samuels is going to force a 50/50 split or anything like that. I’m expecting Samuels to spell Conner maybe every 3rd series, be worked in on passing situations, two-minute type situations, etc. Conner will be the lead back, but not the do everything workhorse he was for much of 2018. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I don’t want to give the wrong impression. I’m not implying Samuels is going to force a 50/50 split or anything like that. I’m expecting Samuels to spell Conner maybe every 3rd series, be worked in on passing situations, two-minute type situations, etc. Conner will be the lead back, but not the do everything workhorse he was for much of 2018. 

Week 17 could be a sample size or it couldn't, because Conner was coming off of an injury. Touch wise 17 to 9. Until week 3 or 4, we really won't know, but I wouldn't mind taking Samuels in the mid rounds as a risk/reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 8:00 PM, Lamont Sanford said:

I understand your point about being able to list negatives for every player. It just comes down to how legit, how significant, how concerning, and how new those negatives actually are.

 

For example, claiming that James White is a negative for Sony Michel’s PPR value is legit, but it’s nothing new for 2019. On the other hand, consisering the new RB coach in Pittsburgh used to coach Jaylen Samuels, and Samuels is a great receiver, there’s a legit reason to speculate that Samuels might have a larger, evolving role in the passing game in his second season, hurting Conners PPR value in 2019. 

 

Josh Gordon potentially being suspended/gone could be listed as a concern for Michel, as defenses could key on the run more. But do any of us truly believe Gordon’s absence will have a big impact on Michel’s success? Not really, imo. Gordon’s absence won’t have nearly the same impact on NE offense as AB’s absence will from Pittsburgh’s. Gronk’s potential retirement could indeed be a legit negative for Michel.

Sure, other teams will have new offensive line coaches,whixh cound be liated as a negative, but in some cases that could arguably be a positive change. Not the case for Conner, as he’s losing one of the best. How much of an impact that will actually have is difficult to say, but clearly that appears to be a negative change for 2019.

As these negatives start to pile up, at some point you have to acknowledge them and start factoring them into expectations. 

 

 

 

 

Yeah I just think most players outside of a few have concerns/warts. 

 

Anyhow, I have Conner as a cheap keeper but would be nervous drafting him at current ADP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conner is a freebie for me so I'm pumped. But for my other leagues I definitely wouldn't be that nervous, I'd just have to make sure to have Samuel's without a doubt locked in as well. 

As for the actual offense I think it'll still be solid if juju can still roll and Washington gets going. Plus who knows what we migit be able to acquire via draft day pending what they get for Brown. 

Situation sucks so bad... I was fine with bell going but AB not so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the Steelers drafted another RB with a 4th round draft pick are we still worried Samuels is gonna sifting off touches? If they believed in Samuels wouldnt they simply grabbed some depth free agent piece or use a 6th for some JAG? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dark clouds are gathering over James Conner.  I may be steering clear this season, although he was a fun guy to have until the injury in 2018.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Dark clouds are gathering over James Conner.  I may be steering clear this season, although he was a fun guy to have until the injury in 2018.

 

Why because the team spent a 4th Rd pick on another RB?  Every team that wants to be competitive needs quality back-up and change of pace RB on the roster; the injury rate for that position is high.  Conner was borderline great last season and will definitely be getting the majority of the touches IMO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Going to take the Benny Snell out touches both Jaylen and James combined. 

 

One of the online sports betting sites would love to place that prop bet for you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

 

Why because the team spent a 4th Rd pick on another RB?  Every team that wants to be competitive needs quality back-up and change of pace RB on the roster; the injury rate for that position is high.  Conner was borderline great last season and will definitely be getting the majority of the touches IMO.

 

Probably correct, but another concern is how pass-happy the Steelers became at times in 2018.  Big Ben is running the show, now.  And Big Ben loves to chuck the ball all over the yard for sixty minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Probably correct, but another concern is how pass-happy the Steelers became at times in 2018.  Big Ben is running the show, now.  And Big Ben loves to chuck the ball all over the yard for sixty minutes.

 

They were about as pass happy as any team in the league last year and connor was a top 5 or 6 rb till he got hurt. As a matter a fact big ben had more pass attempts than any other QB in the league by 35 passes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

 

They were about as pass happy as any team in the league last year and connor was a top 5 or 6 rb till he got hurt. As a matter a fact big ben had more pass attempts than any other QB in the league by 35 passes.

 

Yeah, great post and point.  The loss of AB plus likely improvement of the defense should mean a better pass/run balance in PIT, which Conner should be be the biggest beneficiary of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 4:25 PM, Stonej14 said:

 

They were about as pass happy as any team in the league last year and connor was a top 5 or 6 rb till he got hurt. As a matter a fact big ben had more pass attempts than any other QB in the league by 35 passes.

 

I remember at a point in the season Luck was on pace to break the attempts record. Crazy he didn't even finish first. Think Mack helped the run game a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 9:12 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

I am probably out on Conner.  He's a good player, but Big Ben and the Steelers abandoned the run for weeks at a time during different points in the season in 2018.  It is not working out too well when your fantasy team's no. 1 running back gets 9 carries in an entire game.

 

It's much easier to abandon the run when AB is on your roster.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jags02 said:

 

It's much easier to abandon the run when AB is on your roster.

 

Even when they abandoned the run connor was still peppered with targets. He was a top 5 guy until he got hurt. I would of thought his stock would be a little higher than it is. 

Connor had 55 catches, 973 rushing yards, 13TDs and missed 3 and half games. Could have easily had 70 catches, 1200 rushing yards and 16tds. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

 

Even when they abandoned the run connor was still peppered with targets. He was a top 5 guy until he got hurt. I would of thought his stock would be a little higher than it is. 

Connor had 55 catches, 973 rushing yards, 13TDs and missed 3 and half games. Could have easily had 70 catches, 1200 rushing yards and 16tds. 

 

 

He had three games with 8 or 9 carries, the other 10 he was used a good amount. Is this any different from other running backs?

 

Edit: I just looked and it isnt. Aside from the super elite guys, all the RBs have a few games with a low number of carries. Or at least DJ and Mixon.

Edited by dmb3684

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, the_dying_dream said:

This looks pretty elite to me

 

it's an average behind-the-back off-balance tight-coverage sideline one-handed catch.

to prove elite ability for the conner doubters, you'll have to provide a no-handed catch, maybe a between the knees or under-the-chinstrap.

a one-hander through the legs might suffice

giphy.gif

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Kick the ball up into the air with your foot, as the pass approaches.   Then, fall flat on your back, and balance it perfectly on your face mask, in the end zone. 

Edited by BrianM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

QB throws the ball so hard it goes right through his hands and sticks in his face mask.

 

Great catch tho. I have Conner down for 55 rec for 500 yards in the passing game. No passing TDs.

Edited by Jags02
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

QB throws the ball so hard it goes right through his hands and sticks in his face mask.

 

Great catch tho. I have Conner down for 55 rec for 500 yards in the passing game. No passing TDs.

 

I'll take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read a bunch of scuttlebutt about the new rb coach being from NC state and Samuel's being from NC state and how this might hurt connor but I just dont see it. The one thing that worries me is the Steelers losing the oline coach who was universally renowned as being one of the top 2 or 3 oline coaches in the league. Anyone else worried about this or am I being paranoid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

the Steelers losing the oline coach

This will definitely hurt them, but in the longer term. It's not as if the O-line will suddenly have forgotten how to block.

 

6 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

the new rb coach being from NC state and Samuel's being from NC state

Yeah... No.

All that doesn't mean you can't have questions about Conner; I just don't think these are it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...