joebaker23

James Conner 2019 Outlook

18 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

I've read a bunch of scuttlebutt about the new rb coach being from NC state and Samuel's being from NC state and how this might hurt connor but I just dont see it. The one thing that worries me is the Steelers losing the oline coach who was universally renowned as being one of the top 2 or 3 oline coaches in the league. Anyone else worried about this or am I being paranoid.

Munchak is a legitimate concern, but unless they’re planning on changing the way rbs are used in Pitt- the volume will he huge.    

Ive got Conner cuffed with Jaylen and it feels really good.   Whoever gets the nod on gameday gets WORK.  

18 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Munchak is a legitimate concern, but unless they’re planning on changing the way rbs are used in Pitt- the volume will he huge.    

Ive got Conner cuffed with Jaylen and it feels really good.   Whoever gets the nod on gameday gets WORK.  

The rookie might surpass Jaylen.

Just talk imho, conner is the one to own and grab samuels for some insurance 

19 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Just talk imho, conner is the one to own and grab samuels for some insurance 

I’m not so sure anymore tbh. Conner is being drafted like the early season workhorse from 2018, but pretty much everything is indicating a timeshare situation in Pittsburgh 2019. 

Faulkner named Steelers RB coach

“Faulkner coached current Steelers running back Jaylen Samuels.Under Faulkner’s guidance, Samuels finished his N.C. State career as the school’s all-time receptions leader with 202 career catches. Samuels also earned All-ACC honors twice, and finished third in the ACC in 2017 with 16 touchdowns.”

Combine that with Samuels’ impressive play as a rookie, and Conner’s bruising style, it makes perfect sense to lessen Conner’s workload in favor of a timeshare with Samuels. And now we have Conner himself talking about the workload being split pretty evenly.

Yes, if I could simply choose one or the other I’d take Conner. But considering their relative ADP’s, Samuels may turn out to be a much better value, especially in PPR. 

Eh, I see come game time conner getting the bulk of carries and 90% of the goal line carries. Now I do feel Samuel's will be involved more with AB gone, I think juju is the one that takes a hit overall. Conner to me is a sure bet 10-12 pick, but getting samuels is a must later on. 

10 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I’m not so sure anymore tbh. Conner is being drafted like the early season workhorse from 2018, but pretty much everything is indicating a timeshare situation in Pittsburgh 2019. 

Faulkner named Steelers RB coach

“Faulkner coached current Steelers running back Jaylen Samuels.Under Faulkner’s guidance, Samuels finished his N.C. State career as the school’s all-time receptions leader with 202 career catches. Samuels also earned All-ACC honors twice, and finished third in the ACC in 2017 with 16 touchdowns.”

Combine that with Samuels’ impressive play as a rookie, and Conner’s bruising style, it makes perfect sense to lessen Conner’s workload in favor of a timeshare with Samuels. And now we have Conner himself talking about the workload being split pretty evenly.

Yes, if I could simply choose one or the other I’d take Conner. But considering their relative ADP’s, Samuels may turn out to be a much better value, especially in PPR. 

So your saying connor will get more of the first and 2nd down and Samuel's will probably become the passing downs back? I could totally see this. Conner is a capable receiver and Samuel's is a capable runner so they would still be able to keep defenses on their toes.

Could end up alot like when the Panthers had DeAngelo William's and johnathon Stewart. Which would be a fantasy nightmare. Although once they did both have a 1000 yards rushing In the same season.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Eh, I see come game time conner getting the bulk of carries and 90% of the goal line carries. Now I do feel Samuel's will be involved more with AB gone, I think juju is the one that takes a hit overall. Conner to me is a sure bet 10-12 pick, but getting samuels is a must later on. 

Sure he will get "the bulk" but Samuel's cut could put a significant dent in Conner's numbers. I don't think Samuels hurts S-S much at all because he's WR1 now vs WR2. In fact he'll eat up whatever receiving stats Conners hoped to have. 

Edited by bomont

why would juju take a hit, he doesnt have to compete with ab anymore

22 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

why would juju take a hit, he doesnt have to compete with ab anymore

Because I think they will go back to pounding it more with conner and utilizing samuels out of the backfield ultimately leading to less passing attempts down field until they have another stud out there. Plus we haven't seen how juju handles double coverage. I was speaking on the team as a whole, I think it'll lean heavier on the run game. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Because I think they will go back to pounding it more with conner and utilizing samuels out of the backfield ultimately leading to less passing attempts down field until they have another stud out there. Plus we haven't seen how juju handles double coverage. I was speaking on the team as a whole, I think it'll lean heavier on the run game. 

I dont think short passing is ever a priority with big Ben. Hes averaged over 300 yards per game for 3 of the last 5 seasons and over 270 ypg the other 2. Ben wants to air it out. 

However the Steelers could make a saints like change and start trying to really run the ball with 2 backs. But I doubt it big Ben would just check out of it and air it out some more or get the OC fired or something. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

I dont think short passing is ever a priority with big Ben. Hes averaged over 300 yards per game for 3 of the last 5 seasons and over 270 ypg the other 2. Ben wants to air it out. 

However the Steelers could make a saints like change and start trying to really run the ball with 2 backs. But I doubt it big Ben would just check out of it and air it out some more or get the OC fired or something. 

Right but that was all with the emergence of AB, prior to that Ben was not passing as much and we were more run oriented. 

They might still air it out as much, but that's all to be seen now well juju, moncrief and company do. 

In the end ultimately I love conner this year, along with samuels. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Exactly. And S-S will see little double coverage; that's rarer than I think a lot of people realize. 

3 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Right but that was all with the emergence of AB, prior to that Ben was not passing as much and we were more run oriented. 

They might still air it out as much, but that's all to be seen now well juju, moncrief and company do. 

In the end ultimately I love conner this year, along with samuels. 

When Mike Wallace left lots thought steelers would revert to the run and they passed more than ever before.

AB84 gonna be a hall of famer, but just like when Mike Wallace left, there's another pretty young badass to take his place. 

As long as Ben still has that cannon attached to his dumb brain and doesn't get any ribs poking holes in his lungs he's gonna still throw a beast rock. The main guys catching it will change, but they still gonna wreck it. 

11 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

When Mike Wallace left lots thought steelers would revert to the run and they passed more than ever before.

AB84 gonna be a hall of famer, but just like when Mike Wallace left, there's another pretty young badass to take his place. 

As long as Ben still has that cannon attached to his dumb brain and doesn't get any ribs poking holes in his lungs he's gonna still throw a beast rock. The main guys catching it will change, but they still gonna wreck it. 

He probably still will and that's awesome, I love when we sling it more. But it's just my initial hunch.. Overall I don't think there's any reason to avoid a guy like conner is my point, just always be sure to grab samuels 

Posted (edited)

He probably still will and that's awesome, I love when we sling it more. But it's just my initial hunch.. Overall I don't think there's any reason to avoid a guy like conner is my point, just always be sure to grab samuels 

Id grab Samuels even if I didn't own Conner tbh, 

You're going to have to reach on draft day for Samuels if you get Conner im js cause someone will nab him

Edited by CABLE87

Most of article blocked and nothing but maybe/mights suggested. Thx but nothing to see here.

• Thanks 1

This forum has always done its best to talk themselves out of not drafting certain players. 

4 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

This forum has always done its best to talk themselves out of not drafting certain players. 

Woah... Doubly negative..

So ppl so they are trying to talk themselves into drafting players?

Posted (edited)

People seem to want to talk themselves into or out of drafting people based on their bias or initial thoughts on a player, but that's nothing unique to this site. Plus it makes for some good debate. :) It can just get annoying when people cling to something like a dog with a rag in its mouth. And no I can't say I've always been perfect about being objective! 

Edited by bomont

Posted (edited)

James Conner Backs Steelers RB Rotation

“Obviously who doesn’t love carrying the ball, you know? But you look around the league, a lot of teams that are really successful and doing well are using multiple backs," Conner said.

"Like I’ve always said, that’s how you win games is with depth. So I’m all for it. Those guys are talented. They can make plays. They can make some plays that I can’t make, so I’m all for it.”

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/2019/05/james-conner-steelers-rbs.html

I know Conner owners are resisting it and I get that, but at some point you have to think there’s something to all the talk about Conner’s workload reduction. Especially when much of the talk is coming from Conner himself.

I’d still be happy to own Conner, but he certainly makes it sound like his workhorse workload from early 2018 is a thing of the past, and not only is he cool with a committee approach, “he’s all for it.”

Edited by Lamont Sanford

His comments are vague and so IMO meaningless. All but the most egotistical RBs (and even them sometimes) will welcome a breather here and there by letting someone else have some carries. And no RB gets them all anyway. Question of degree. 

I don't have a strong feeling how much he'll share offhand, but right now I'm unconvinced about the supporting cast being a cause for concern.