Fantasy Gooroo

Le'Veon Bell 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Just now, devaster said:

I agree that they are no longer one of the best and are a circus lately. But that is the perception and history of the organization. They have been trash for a few years now.

 

Keyword: History

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, simanium said:

You would think that a team that just had a season derailed partly because of off-field drama, would simply realize its time to let this go and get your compensatory draft pick (likely 3rd round).  This is like a divorcing couple that just won't move on. 

 

One with Mike Tomlin as the head coach? I'm not surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BMcP said:

 

Having a deal in place beforehand would be a clear-cut violation of the CBA.

Are you certain? The way the CBA is written  there must be some vague terminolgy allowing for grey area in that clause as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Are you certain? The way the CBA is written  there must be some vague terminolgy allowing for grey area in that clause as well.

 

Well, I’ll let you judge for yourself:

 

“A Club extending a Required Tender must, for so long as that Tender is extended, have a good faith intention to employ the player receiving the Tender at the Tender compensation level during the upcoming season.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is anything stopping a team from having a handshake agreement before the tag date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, devaster said:

I don't think there is anything stopping a team from having a handshake agreement before the tag date.

 

See above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

 

See above.

And good luck proving that in arbitration. That is like trying to prove a player's conduct is detrimental and recouping salary as a punishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, devaster said:

And good luck proving that in arbitration. That is like trying to prove a player's conduct is detrimental and recouping salary as a punishment.

 

I’m fairly sure the arbitrator would require a party-team to show that it had no outstanding trade offer in hand at the time of tag application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, devaster said:

How do you not see it as petty? The Steelers have no intention on keeping Bell or arranging a desirable trade for Bell. They don't have Bell's best interest in mind, like the Eagles would if they franchised and traded Foles. I don't see any team giving up better compensation than what the Steelers would already get a season down the line with a compensatory pick. This is petty and spiteful.

I'm going to be really surprised if they do transition tag him. They would need to have a deal in place before tagging him, otherwise it would be a colossal mistake.

 

The childish view is yours.  The Steelers will act in their own best interests, not in Bell's best interests.  Why would you think it would be any other way?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I’m no lawyer, but the term “good faith intention” seems rather grey.

 

While the term itself is gray, the gray becomes black and white if it can be shown that a deal was in place to trade Bell prior to tagging him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to see this guy in a Pats uni but 0% chance they spend the money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fingers said:

Would love to see this guy in a Pats uni but 0% chance they spend the money

I'll take Sony and White and their approx $6.5 million/yr combined salary, over Le'veon and his $15+ million salary, any day of the week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BMcP said:

 

While the term itself is gray, the gray becomes black and white if it can be shown that a deal was in place to trade Bell prior to tagging him.

The timing would be interesting, that's for sure.  I think if Bell was able to successfully challenge the transition tag for bad faith, then the arbitrator could rule him a free agent.

So I suspect the Steelers will talk a very good game (we're ready to welcome Le'Veon back with open arms) if they do end up using the transition tag.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The timing would be interesting, that's for sure.  I think if Bell was able to successfully challenge the transition tag for bad faith, then the arbitrator could rule him a free agent.

So I suspect the Steelers will talk a very good game (we're ready to welcome Le'Veon back with open arms) if they do end up using the transition tag.

 

You guys are significantly over thinking this. The transistion tag and trade only works if all 3 counterparties are in agreement, the player will not sign if the details of the trade and his contract are not ready to be executed on immediately.  No counterparty signs until every i and t are dotted and crossed

No one is in a superior position to screw anyone over because 3 parties have to cooperate to complete the transaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dashoe said:

 

You guys are significantly over thinking this. The transistion tag and trade only works if all 3 counterparties are in agreement, the player will not sign if the details of the trade and his contract are not ready to be executed on immediately.  No counterparty signs until every i and t are dotted and crossed

No one is in a superior position to screw anyone over because 3 parties have to cooperate to complete the transaction

It can work this way, but it does not have to.  The Steelers could tag Bell without any deal to a different team in place.  And Bell does not have to sign it.  Or he could, but then fight the tag through the grievance process if he does not like the trade partner.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Can someone please remind me why Pittsburgh, another team, and Bell can’t simply agree on a sign & trade? 

Maybe they could, but there are a lot of steps that would have to happen.  1)  Bell would have to sign his tag; he may be so peeved at the Steelers at this point that he might not.  2)  The new team would have to agree on compensation to the Steelers--if any teams are interested in Bell, they might try for an offer sheet instead of a trade, because that way they don't give up any players or picks.  3)  The new team and Bell would probably want to agree on a long term contract, unlikely since Bell has an inflated opinion of his own worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Maybe they could, but there are a lot of steps that would have to happen.  1)  Bell would have to sign his tag; he may be so peeved at the Steelers at this point that he might not.  2)  The new team would have to agree on compensation to the Steelers--if any teams are interested in Bell, they might try for an offer sheet instead of a trade, because that way they don't give up any players or picks.  3)  The new team and Bell would probably want to agree on a long term contract, unlikely since Bell has an inflated opinion of his own worth.

It’s easy to orchestrate if the player can go another team of his choice & is willing to play for LESS money (in good faith)...like Moss restructuring his deal once he was traded to NE.

But this is the bizarro world situation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psygolf said:

It’s easy to orchestrate if the player can go another team of his choice & is willing to play for LESS money (in good faith)...like Moss restructuring his deal once he was traded to NE.

But this is the bizarro world situation...

Right, this is what I’m thinking as well. Sure, both Bell and Pittsburgh can make this more difficult for each other than it has to be, but at this point they both must really want to move on from this.

 

There’s no question that other teams are interested in signing Bell, and that they would be willing to offer Pittsburgh more than a compensatory 3rd round pick. So then it’s up to Bell to pick which of these teams he’s willing to play for, work out a deal with them, and end this saga via sign & trade.

 

If Bell is simply unwilling to play for less than $X, and no team is willing to pay $X, then Bell is done playing in the NFL, even if Pittsburgh let’s him walk. If Bell is willing to play for a $ amount that some team is offering, then a sign & trade makes sense for all parties involved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

If Bell is simply unwilling to play for less than $X, and no team is willing to pay $X, then Bell is done playing in the NFL, even if Pittsburgh let’s him walk. If Bell is willing to play for a $ amount that some team is offering, then a sign & trade makes sense for all parties involved.

With the running back position continually devalued as it has been, I don't think scenario #1 in this paragraph is all that implausible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Right, this is what I’m thinking as well. Sure, both Bell and Pittsburgh can make this more difficult for each other than it has to be, but at this point they both must really want to move on from this.

 

There’s no question that other teams are interested in signing Bell, and that they would be willing to offer Pittsburgh more than a compensatory 3rd round pick. So then it’s up to Bell to pick which of these teams he’s willing to play for, work out a deal with them, and end this saga via sign & trade.

 

If Bell is simply unwilling to play for less than $X, and no team is willing to pay $X, then Bell is done playing in the NFL, even if Pittsburgh let’s him walk. If Bell is willing to play for a $ amount that some team is offering, then a sign & trade makes sense for all parties involved.

 

I explained above why a “sign and trade” would violate the CBA.  

It doesn’t sound like Pittsburgh is willing to just let Bell walk - it sounds like they are going to tag him - or trade him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it was brought up...but  I believe I read somewhere last year during the mess that it would cost the Steelers a lot more to tag him this year...like 18m?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dashoe said:

 

You guys are significantly over thinking this. The transistion tag and trade only works if all 3 counterparties are in agreement, the player will not sign if the details of the trade and his contract are not ready to be executed on immediately.  No counterparty signs until every i and t are dotted and crossed

No one is in a superior position to screw anyone over because 3 parties have to cooperate to complete the transaction

 

You seem to be assuming that Bell would know in advance of signing that he was about to be traded, and would know to which team he was headed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, psygolf said:

Not sure if it was brought up...but  I believe I read somewhere last year during the mess that it would cost the Steelers a lot more to tag him this year...like 18m?

 

It would cost the same - about $14.5M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.