thebadferret

David Johnson 2019 Outlook

5 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Don't you want to know who the coach is going to be before you make a claim like that?  lol.  Seems like you've already made up your mind on him before any changes are made.

I’m basing this on a Schefter report that Kingsbury and the Cards have mutual interest. He’s more of an offensive guy than Wilks which should help. Obviously nothing final I was just stating my opinion if he gets hired and it sounds like there’s a good chance.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Don't you want to know who the coach is going to be before you make a claim like that?  lol.  Seems like you've already made up your mind on him before any changes are made.

If I was a betting man i'd take Kingsbury over the field. 

For what it's worth, it would be a great hire for DJ. Offensive minded guy and he has done quite well at USC.

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

If I was a betting man i'd take Kingsbury over the field. 

For what it's worth, it would be a great hire for DJ. Offensive minded guy and he has done quite well at USC.

I don't think he has actually coached a game at USC yet.. However, I agree that he brings in an innovative offensive scheme and mindset.

Edited by sasnumberonefan

3 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

I don't think he has actually coached a game at USC yet.. However, I agree that he brings in an innovative offensive scheme and mindset.

He has done well as the OC at USC. Obviously he didn't coach there.

I have Gurley as a keeper late in the first round, I would love to come back and snag DJ as my 2 in the 2nd.

Looking forward to getting this guy at great value in 2019.

Forget for a minute about where he was drafted in 2018, because it is irrelevant in 2019 but it is still going to skew a lot of people's perceptions.  He put up a top-10 season on possibly the worst offensive roster ever assembled, with usage that is the equivalent to bashing your head against a brick wall over and over again until you're so concussed that you forget you've been bashing your head against a wall and start bashing your head all over again.  Again; top-10.

Even with a marginal improvement in surrounding talent and play-calling, he should return to an elite RB option.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Looking forward to getting this guy at great value in 2019.

Forget for a minute about where he was drafted in 2018, because it is irrelevant in 2019 but it is still going to skew a lot of people's perceptions.  He put up a top-10 season on possibly the worst offensive roster ever assembled, with usage that is the equivalent to bashing your head against a brick wall over and over again until you're so concussed that you forget you've been bashing your head against a wall and start bashing your head all over again.  Again; top-10.

Even with a marginal improvement in surrounding talent and play-calling, he should return to an elite RB option.

but this year has shown you cant just pencil in RB receptions bc a guy caught alot of balls in the past.  It totally depends on how the coaches utilize or fail to utilize the player. 

It remains to be seen what AZ offense will be like in 2019 but I fear DJ will be a “bouceback” in many fantasy circles which will put his ADP at not great value at all, rather “where it should be” and even then he may not sniff 80 catches ever again.   Im interested in seeing it unfold but I wont be paying RB1 price for DJ.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

but this year has shown you cant just pencil in RB receptions bc a guy caught alot of balls in the past.  It totally depends on how the coaches utilize or fail to utilize the player. 

It remains to be seen what AZ offense will be like in 2019 but I fear DJ will be a “bouceback” in many fantasy circles which will put his ADP at not great value at all, rather “where it should be” and even then he may not sniff 80 catches ever again.   Im interested in seeing it unfold but I wont be paying RB1 price for DJ.  

He’s currently ESPN’s number 9 RB. Compared to other guys in that tier like Mixon or Chubb I personally believe he has the best chance to be an elite RB1 next year. 

23 minutes ago, akooreman180 said:

He’s currently ESPN’s number 9 RB. Compared to other guys in that tier like Mixon or Chubb I personally believe he has the best chance to be an elite RB1 next year. 

He also has a lower floor.

Either way, the idea of pairing DJ with someone like Gurley/CMC/Barkley is amazing. 

• Like 3

Just got the Sleeperbot notification on Kingsbury. That’s the first step. Next will be seeing what else they do with the WRs and OL. 

I have the 2nd and 3rd overall picks in my keep-3 league this August (keepers tagged with rds), and Johnson may very well be one of them because he has to go back in next season’s draft. This hire is going to scoot him up a lot of draft boards. 

What remains to be see is whether or not KK can even produce a successful offense in the NFL. This isn’t the Big 12 or Pac 12.

• Like 2

got spurned by Dj in one league but won in one with him and didn't even play him in the finals. will be a target of mines again albeit the bad taste which was my fault for undermining the coaching staff and OL. think his arrow only points up and if you can get him in the 2nd-3rd it's a steal. 

Cant see how this would do anything besides help, what they did to DJ last year was just stupidly bad. Now let’s pray they get some OL help.

12 minutes ago, brosephd said:

got spurned by Dj in one league but won in one with him and didn't even play him in the finals. will be a target of mines again albeit the bad taste which was my fault for undermining the coaching staff and OL. think his arrow only points up and if you can get him in the 2nd-3rd it's a steal. 

No way he will go in the 3rd. I bet his ADP will be mid-second. Second would still be a steal though.

• Like 1

As bad as he was last year he was still the tenth highest scoring RB. And that offense was BAD. Could be sneaky good value if he slips to the middle/end of the 2nd round, which as of now I think is very possible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

As bad as he was last year he was still the tenth highest scoring RB. And that offense was BAD. Could be sneaky good value if he slips to the middle/end of the 2nd round, which as of now I think is very possible.

I think the Kingsbury hiring will prevent that from occurring though - everyone's interest will be rekindled by that move.

• Like 1

I just scanned over the receiving stats for RBs while Kinsgsbury was with TT.

He averaged around 60 total completions to a variety of RBs during almost all his years at TT.

Could be good for DJ. All the spread open concepts I hope he can get all those receptions back that he used to get

23 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I think the Kingsbury hiring will prevent that from occurring though - everyone's interest will be rekindled by that move.

Agreed. I’m thinking end of round 1 now which sucks but there are definitely other value RBs in the second.

4 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

He will find his way back into the top 10 adp, no doubt

Yep - The Dream of a severely depressed asking price in 2019 tragically died today - only a couple weeks old too.

6 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

He will find his way back into the top 10 adp, no doubt

who are ya kiddin, if hes sitting there at 10 someone will bite

26 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

That's what I said

I meant to quote someone else but agreed with your post and got sidetracked i guess.

• Thanks 1

you can't coach talent. If they don't DRASTICALLY improve the o-line and skill positions then all this hire did was polish a turd. It's 100% wait and see for me before I start putting him anywhere close to the same class as the others that will be in the top 10 ADP. 

1 hour ago, Joe Odam said:

you can't coach talent. If they don't DRASTICALLY improve the o-line and skill positions then all this hire did was polish a turd. It's 100% wait and see for me before I start putting him anywhere close to the same class as the others that will be in the top 10 ADP. 

This was the worst coached team in recent memory. Sure, the 0-16 Browns sucked but they were depleted. Going into the season the Cardinals weren't that bad. They had a rookie QB with promise, an incredible RB, incredible WR, not an absolutely pathetic line, and talent on defense. The coaches failed. flat out. Don't underestimate the impact coaches can have.