thebadferret

David Johnson 2019 Outlook

11 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

This was the worst coached team in recent memory. Sure, the 0-16 Browns sucked but they were depleted. Going into the season the Cardinals weren't that bad. They had a rookie QB with promise, an incredible RB, incredible WR, not an absolutely pathetic line, and talent on defense. The coaches failed. flat out. Don't underestimate the impact coaches can have.

I'm not disagreeing they were poorly coached......they also has PFF's dead last rated O-line and an atrocious QB who looked totally lost. Fitz is aging (gracefully but aging nonetheless) and Kirk is not exactly elite. I stand by my statement, this is by far the most talent deficient team in the league

This is simultaneous good and bad. It will surely help DJ, but it doesn't help his adp. But let's see how this works out. I often see people shy away from players if they have bad memory from last year.

• Like 1

Sarkisian is terrible.

1st bad move Kingsbury has made. Hopefully he doesn't let him call plays.

Just hearing about this hiring makes me want to trade DJ in dynasty. 

Let's say Sark only makes it 1 season that's DJs age 27 season. New coordinator for age 28 season and time starts to run out for DJ in a dynasty.

I was excited by the kingsbury hiring but the sarkisian one is a head scratcher.

Anyone want to compare Todd Monkens TB offense to Sarkisian ATL offense?

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Sarkisian is terrible.

1st bad move Kingsbury has made. Hopefully he doesn't let him call plays.

Just hearing about this hiring makes me want to trade DJ in dynasty. 

Let's say Sark only makes it 1 season that's DJs age 27 season. New coordinator for age 28 season and time starts to run out for DJ in a dynasty.

I was excited by the kingsbury hiring but the sarkisian one is a head scratcher.

Anyone want to compare Todd Monkens TB offense to Sarkisian ATL offense?

ATL not really a great team to gauge RB success on during Sarks tenure.  It was all about Matt Ryan after his MVP season w then OC Kyle Shanny

2 hours ago, brosephd said:

Outlook for DJ with Steve Sarkisian as their offensive coordinator?

his ADP just dropped back down to where people want it.

I'd rather his ADP be higher with better system in place.

Great his ADP is now 15-20, but you'll get what you pay for too.

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Sark, huh? Well so much for that. 🙄

2 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I want zero DJ if Sarkisian is involved, Atlanta rushed the ball like 10 times a game and almost never threw to the RBs, was so frustrating. 

Reports are that Kilff Kingsbury will still oversee and run the offense/play calling duties. Let's wait until we see something in person before assuming.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr2Saint said:

Reports are that Kilff Kingsbury will still oversee and run the offense/play calling duties. Let's wait until we see something in person before assuming.

I  think this is what will happen as well but what reports are you referencing? I haven’t seen anything that’s said that. 

3 hours ago, akooreman180 said:

I  think this is what will happen as well but what reports are you referencing? I haven’t seen anything that’s said that. 

In fact...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2019/01/12/steve-sarkisian-now-unlikely-join-cardinals-coaching-staff/2561902002/

Steve Sarkisian, the former head coach at the University of Washington and USC, is now unlikely to be joining the Cardinals’ coaching staff, according to Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network. 

• Thanks 1

No matter who they hire as the OC, Kingsbury will still be the main playcaller. Keim has stated that they want Rosen to have continuity and they say it will be difficult to achieve that with OC's coming and leaving for HC positions so Kingsbury will be the primary playcaller.

Edited by RafiBomb

Their OC will just provide Kingsbury with valuable information and helpful hints about the pro game. I wouldn't worry even if they hire an OC who has failed. Just because you can't call plays, it doesn't mean you don't understand the game or can't teach it. Their OC will basically be a glorified offensive consultant. Kingsbury is the main QB coach for Rosen and OC of the Cardinals.

• Like 1

I think DJ's well on his way to being one of the most polarizing pre-draft players.     Just throw him the damn ball, and he's at least a strong RB2, and we can all be happy, right?      Its gotta be a stinger for dynasties and keepers (raises hand) that he has not and probably will not lead you to glory as we hoped.    That said, my head is punching my gut and telling me no, you cannot ditch him yet, just expect RB2 stats and he's still worth that 4th round pick.  

9 hours ago, BrianM said:

I think DJ's well on his way to being one of the most polarizing pre-draft players.     Just throw him the damn ball, and he's at least a strong RB2, and we can all be happy, right?      Its gotta be a stinger for dynasties and keepers (raises hand) that he has not and probably will not lead you to glory as we hoped.    That said, my head is punching my gut and telling me no, you cannot ditch him yet, just expect RB2 stats and he's still worth that 4th round pick.  

He’s not going in the fourth round. He finished as an RB1 this year and the offense isn’t going to get worse than it was this year. Right now he’s ranked as a second rounder.

1 hour ago, akooreman180 said:

"He’s not going in the fourth round. He finished as an RB1 this year and the offense isn’t going to get worse than it was this year. Right now he’s ranked as a second rounder."

Alright, but the guy you take that high has to go off, minimum 4 times. In the broadest sense, standard formats, that's 20 points, which he provided owners twice. Saying things like; "it can't get any worse" isn't very convincing, when it certainly can. I never advocated taking him, but he's certainly proven me wrong. I'm a low-center cult member, but I do like him better than Dalvin Cook or Le'Veon Bell who are both ranked ahead of him at fantasypros. It's just me, but if I'm at about pick 20 & confident I can land Fournette 4 or 5 picks later, I'd definitely be trading back to accrue additional draft capital. 

11 hours ago, BrianM said:

What in the helll are you smoking lol 4th round? He was just fine last year with that abortion of a team.

5 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

What in the helll are you smoking lol 4th round? He was just fine last year with that abortion of a team.

Agree, he was RB9/10, depending on your format. That doesn't sound like 4th round to me, especially in a team that literally can't get any worse (*).

(*) Yeah I know.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Alright, but the guy you take that high has to go off, minimum 4 times. In the broadest sense, standard formats, that's 20 points, which he provided owners twice. Saying things like; "it can't get any worse" isn't very convincing, when it certainly can. I never advocated taking him, but he's certainly proven me wrong. I'm a low-center cult member, but I do like him better than Dalvin Cook or Le'Veon Bell who are both ranked ahead of him at fantasypros. It's just me, but if I'm at about pick 20 & confident I can land Fournette 4 or 5 picks later, I'd definitely be trading back to accrue additional draft capital. 

I think DJ surprises a lot of people next year but I get why you’re saying that. It depends on if they improve the offensive line for sure. 

I will only come back if the Cards put as much effort to rebuild their OL as the Colts did last year.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:22 PM, Gohawks said:

He also has a lower floor.

Either way, the idea of pairing DJ with someone like Gurley/CMC/Barkley is amazing. 

If he’s available to you after getting one of those 3, you’re playing with assorted fruit.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, BrianM said:

There isn’t a league in existence where he goes in the 4th round, sorry.

1 hour ago, petekrum said:

"There isn’t a league in existence where he goes in the 4th round, sorry."

I suppose, but for me he's not a late 1st / early 2nd RD guy. So with the 15th overall in a snake format that means a late 3rd RD & we all agree, he'll be gone before then. For me, he's more of a long-strider, ramp up guy you set deep, but with excellent receiving skills. Change of direction, quick-twitch suddenness not really a strength. But what can you trust? I imagine C.J. Anderson is a guy again, but he was never fast or quick and right now, noticeably out of shape. Full point ppr, hard to argue against (Johnson). I did find this: 

"Kingsbury’s offenses, on the other hand, have been known for featuring QBs first, then mixing in whichever skill players fit best in any given year. ... But Kingsbury’s also shown a willingness to build schemes around specific skill-position players. The main shift he will bring is philosophic. Instead of just riding an RB, Kingsbury’s intention is to get the ball to “a player that can score,” as his former coach, Mike Leach, has put it. Kingsbury uses the run as a constraint for when teams overplay the pass.https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/12/11/18134186/kliff-kingsbury-usc-offensive-coordinator

Edited by markrc99

On 1/18/2019 at 6:56 PM, akooreman180 said:

He’s not going in the fourth round. He finished as an RB1 this year and the offense isn’t going to get worse than it was this year. Right now he’s ranked as a second rounder.

Must've edited this part out- that's my cost to keep him next year.   

@bhawks489

Edited by BrianM
  • Thanks 1