DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2019 Outlook

https://tenor.com/view/casey-vince-mc-mahon-funny-gif-13192297

After taking home 2018 fantasy football playoffs MVP it is time to open the discussions for his 2019 Season Outlook.

Henry ended the 2017 season in a similar fashion as he did 2018, not fantasy playoff MVP but finished the season good. Off-season saw the coaches get fired, new staff brought in and Dion Lewis added to the roster. Henry struggled early in the season as the team struggled with Oline injuries and inconsistent QB play. The 2nd half of the season showed a renewed commitment to using Henry and getting the OLine healthy as well, still with inconsistent QB play and Henry was the best RB in fantasy football (PPR or Standard scoring) weeks 13-17. So now here we are heading into 2019.

Henry looks like he will have the same coaches in place and this will be a contract year for Henry, so if you believe players in a contract year try harder than normal you might be able to inflate Henrys #s a little more than even what I predict. With the season ending and Henry being the clear cut workhorse I would like to think that mindset carries over into next season. Henry is a career 4+ypc RB every season. For 2019 with QB play still to be a concern I will set his ypc at 4.6, seems reasonable based on Henrys history. I would hope for him to average 16 carries a game which would get him to 1,251 rushing yards. I would love to see Henry get 3 passing game looks per game to keep the defense honest so I'd guesstimate 51 pass attempts just guessing about 41 receptions for an 8 yard average would be 328 yards. He had 12 rushing TDs this year with like 0 in the first 10 games.

With coaching staff continuity and hopefully still a top 10 OLine Henry can get to 1,600 totals yards and since he will be the GL back and is a honerun hitter I'll set his total TDs at 15.

That's a late 1st round RB in most fantasy drafts and of course his ceiling is as high as the elite named RBs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

That's a late 1st round RB in most fantasy drafts and of course his ceiling is as high as the elite named RBs.

I think most of your analysis/rationale is fair, but his ceiling will never be that of the elite backs because the elite backs all catch 3+ times the passes he does. That's never going to change.

Edited by BGDDYKWL
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I think most of your analysis/rationale is fair, but his ceiling will never be that of the elite backs because the elite backs all catch 3+ times the passes he does. That's never going to change.

Henry outscored all those elite backs during the fantasy playoffs by a lot while catching no passes.

A slight uptick in receptions would help compliment how dominant he can be in the ground and pound game.

6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Henry outscored all those elite backs during the fantasy playoffs by a lot while catching no passes.

A slight uptick in receptions would help compliment how dominant he can be in the ground and pound game.

Mainly he needs to remember to keep running like Eddie George told him. If he gets lazy again, you are going to be toast again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Mainly he needs to remember to keep running like Eddie George told him. If he gets lazy again, you are going to be toast again.

I'm not sure what you mean about me being toast. I'm here to discuss Henry one way or the other.

Henry showed the kind of RB he is capable of being. I'm sure Eddie George's words of encouragement helped pull Derrick Henry through a tough time but I think Henry was probably more just frustrated with his role on the team having brought on Dion Lewis, barely giving Henry double digit touches in a game, oline had bad injuries. He never complained but I think he was frustrated and maybe that was showing some in his game. Eddie helped get him fired up and just told him bluntly he was on the trading block. All things came together. Oline got healthy. Backup RG behind Conklin started to play really well, coaches committed to Henry more and Henry started producing better, Im sure Eddie's words helped motivate Henry but it was the coaches committing to him more than when they just had a lead that led to his break out.

All that combined with a contract year, wanting to get paid and hopefully starting the season with a more consistent workload he should be able to have a more consistent season.

I'll be here to discuss Henry whether he meets my numbers, exceeds them, or falls short of them and I like a little jelly with my toast 

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

He had 250 and 4 one game. We saw the same from Doug Martin in 2015 where he had a few huge games and went on to essentially do nothing over the next three years. You are the king of handpicking whatever minutiae supports the Derrick Henry campaign. Guy averaged 3YPC with zero TDs the first 6 weeks. (Coach's fault probably). Those God awful numbers don't just get thrown out because he had one miracle game in the fantasy playoffs, especially since my guess is most playoff and especially championship teams didn't even have Henry on their roster. Henry profiles MUCH closer to someone like Chris Carson than he does the elite RB1s.

• Like 3

You can make all the funny faces you want, but even if the argument is Henry was misused early in the year, so was Carson. Both excelled late in the year, and Carson ended up averaging 1.5 more points per game than Henry this year. So to say Henry's closer to the elite RBs than a guy like Carson simply isn't founded in reality.

Oh, and since you brought it up, apparently how a guy performs in the fantasy playoffs is of significant importance to you. In 2017, Henry was the FORTY-SIXTH highest scoring RB in the fantasy playoffs. You wanna handpick narratives, we can do that all day long.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

With coaching staff continuity and hopefully still a top 10 OLine Henry can get to 1,600 totals yards and since he will be the GL back and is a honerun hitter I'll set his total TDs at 15.

See, it's not that people don't like Henry. In fact, I highly enjoy watching the guy play and the Jaguars game was extremely fun to watch. The reason his threads turn into absolute s--- shows is because of takes like this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

He had 250 and 4 one game. We saw the same from Doug Martin in 2015 where he had a few huge games and went on to essentially do nothing over the next three years. You are the king of handpicking whatever minutiae supports the Derrick Henry campaign. Guy averaged 3YPC with zero TDs the first 6 weeks. (Coach's fault probably). Those God awful numbers don't just get thrown out because he had one miracle game in the fantasy playoffs, especially since my guess is most playoff and especially championship teams didn't even have Henry on their roster. Henry profiles MUCH closer to someone like Chris Carson than he does the elite RB1s.

I rather have Carson every day of the week. His team has actually demonstrated the ability to consistently commit to the run. I don't see Henry as a better talent and when you start thinking about if you would rather trust Wilson or Mariota and Carroll or Vrabel it becomes obvious who the pick is. 

Posted (edited)

You can make all the funny faces you want, but even if the argument is Henry was misused early in the year, so was Carson. Both excelled late in the year, and Carson ended up averaging 1.5 more points per game than Henry this year. So to say Henry's closer to the elite RBs than a guy like Carson simply isn't founded in reality.

Oh, and since you brought it up, apparently how a guy performs in the fantasy playoffs is of significant importance to you. In 2017, Henry was the FORTY-SIXTH highest scoring RB in the fantasy playoffs. You wanna handpick narratives, we can do that all day long.

I actually think Carson is a borderline RB1 at this point, provided he can manage to stay healthy and fend off Penny. He looks like a beast out there. 

Comparing Henry to Carson isn't a negative in my eyes. Both guys are in run-heavy schemes and get plenty of goal-line opportunities, and neither relies on receptions to buoy their value. They also run with a physical style that wears opposing defenses out. 

The main difference that I see is that Henry is a former Heisman trophy winner and a 2nd round pick, so he's always had this "pedigree" and was simply never used like the workhorse he is very clearly built to be. Carson was a 7th round pick and his health (and as a result, his usage) has not been that consistent historically, plus his team just drafted a RB in the first round (Rashaad Penny). 

If I had to guess, the "funny face" reaction from DHC is in response to these portions of your post:

Guy averaged 3YPC with zero TDs the first 6 weeks. (Coach's fault probably). Those God awful numbers don't just get thrown out because he had one miracle game in the fantasy playoffs, especially since my guess is most playoff and especially championship teams didn't even have Henry on their roster.

No, the first 6 weeks shouldn't be thrown out, but it's worth at least analyzing his usage, the health of the O-line, and the opponents for those games, is it not?

Also, he had one "miracle game" and followed it up with 3 straight RB1-type performances in which he averaged 23/115/1. 

Here's what Henry has done in his career in games with 15+ carries:

16/60/1 rushing, 4/37/0 receiving

15/65/1 rushing, 1/3/0 receiving 

19/131/1 rushing, 1/14/0 receiving

28/51/0 rushing, 1/66/1 receiving

23/156/1 rushing, 2/35/0 receiving

18/56/0 rushing, 0/0/0 receiving

18/57/0 rushing, 0/0/0 receiving

17/238/4 rushing, 0/0/0 receiving

33/170/2 rushing, 1/1/0 receiving

21/84/1 rushing, 1/8/0 receiving

16/93/0 rushing, 1/13/0 receiving

Totals: 224 rushing attempts, 1160 rushing yards (5.18 YPC), 11 TDs, plus 12 receptions, 177 receiving yards, 1 TD

Averages: 20.4 rushing attempts for 105.5 rushing yards and 1 TD per game. Plus 1.1 receptions for 16.1 receiving yards and 0 TDs per game

Throw out the "miracle game" and he still has the following averages in games with 15+ rushing attempts:

Totals: 207 rushing attempts, 922 rushing yards (4.45 YPC), 7 TDs, plus 12 receptions, 177 receiving yards, 1 TD

Averages:20.7 rushing attempts for 92.2 rushing yards and 0.7 TDs per game. Plus 1.2 receptions for 17.7 receiving yards and 0 TDs per game

Week 2 and week 3 of this season represent the only games in Henry's career where he's failed to score a touchdown or break 100 total yards when given 15+ carries in a game. 

Edited by mjb03003
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

I actually think Carson is a borderline RB1 at this point, provided he can manage to stay healthy and fend off Penny. He looks like a beast out there. 

Comparing Henry to Carson isn't a negative in my eyes. Both guys are in run-heavy schemes and get plenty of goal-line opportunities, and neither relies on receptions to buoy their value. They also run with a physical style that wears opposing defenses out. 

The main difference that I see is that Henry is a former Heisman trophy winner and a 2nd round pick, so he's always had this "pedigree" and was simply never used like the workhorse he is very clearly built to be. Carson was a 7th round pick and his health (and as a result, his usage) has not been that consistent historically, plus his team just drafted a RB in the first round (Rashaad Penny). 

If I had to guess, the "funny face" reaction from DHC is in response to these portions of your post:

No, the first 6 weeks shouldn't be thrown out, but it's worth at least analyzing his usage, the health of the O-line, and the opponents for those games, is it not?

Also, he had one "miracle game" and followed it up with 3 straight RB1-type performances in which he averaged 23/115/1. 

Totals: 224 rushing attempts, 1160 rushing yards (5.18 YPC), 11 TDs, plus 12 receptions, 177 receiving yards, 1 TD

Averages: 20.4 rushing attempts for 105.5 rushing yards and 1 TD per game. Plus 1.1 receptions for 16.1 receiving yards and 0 TDs per game

Throw out the "miracle game" and he still has the following averages in games with 15+ rushing attempts:

Totals: 207 rushing attempts, 922 rushing yards (4.45 YPC), 7 TDs, plus 12 receptions, 177 receiving yards, 1 TD

Averages:20.7 rushing attempts for 92.2 rushing yards and 0.7 TDs per game. Plus 1.2 receptions for 17.7 receiving yards and 0 TDs per game

Week 2 and week 3 of this season represent the only games in Henry's career where he's failed to score a touchdown or break 100 total yards when given 15+ carries in a game. 

The problem is there has been absolutely no consistency in the usage you claim with the old and new coaching staff. Which makes claiming him to be a 1st round pick absolutely ridiculous. 

26 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

I've been saying the same thing about Kenyan drake. Just give him the damn ball!

Even if it is just his usage that's the problem, it's still a huge problem

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The problem is there has been absolutely no consistency in the usage you claim with the old and new coaching staff. Which makes claiming him to be a 1st round pick absolutely ridiculous. 

The production DHC projected would be 1st round level. Those were just his personal projections which you might feel are a little inflated.  I don't think he or anyone is suggesting you should (or will need to) draft Henry in the 1st round, just that that level of production would put him up there with the first round RBs. 

There's about 8 running backs whose usage we can bank on in this game. The rest you have to read the tea leaves (or quotes from the coaching staff, reports from beat writers, etc...) and make an educated guess. I think relegating Henry to a RBBC after what he's shown would be a fireable offense at this point. 

Henry had 2 games with 15+ carries as a rookie and 3 games with 15+ carries last year. This year that number jumped to 6. 

Henry had 110 carries as a rookie and 176 carries last year. This year that number jumped to 215. 

The trend is towards the Titans and their coaching staff finally realizing what they have... I'll be sure to stay tuned for comments from Vrabel, Lafleur, and the writers who cover the team this offseason (and if they say the wrong things I'll bail), but I'd be borderline shocked if they don't finally commit to giving Henry the damn ball. 

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I don't throw out Henrys bad games I just look at the reasons behind what could cause that because I know his talent.

1. Coaches were new this year, 1st year head coach with a 1st time offensive coordinator.

2. They had brought in Dion Lewis so obviously initially they were trying to work Lewis into the offense.

3. Their Oline was really busted up the beginning of the season

4. Henry could have been in a funk due to his role on the offense early in the season and dissapointed in himself for not helping his team more even though their teams QB situation is one of the worst in the NFL. No one critics Henry harder than himself.

All these factors are in some part due to why Henry underperforming the first part of the year. 1st game against Miami was the longest game in NFL history with a weird gamescript.

As the season progressed Henry continued to work hard (Vrabel said no one works harder to help the team) they let Lewis try to be the starter under the same circumstances as Henry as Lewis was worse, much worse.  So as the Titans get their bye week their Oline starts to get a bit healthier, Vrabel and LaFleur are settling in as 1st year coaches and Henry gets a pep talk from Eddie George. After Henry starts some consistent carries and the run blocking keeps from having him hit in the backfield he really starts to get in a groove and starts punishing the defense. His results in the 2nd half of the season dont come off to me as a fluke like Doug Martin it looks more like a HC, OC, and Henry starting to get on the same page together and figuring out what really works for their specific teams. 

That is what breeds confidence in me about Henry going into 2019, that he is in a contract year, Vrabel and LaFleur saw what Henry can do at his best and they have free agency and the draft to add even more help so Henrys start to 2018 is not necessarily indicative of how his 2019 year will start. In my opinion.

• Like 1

I've seen him as a top 25-30 option for next year.  In PPR, with only 12 receptions, that's just too high for my liking.  He's the thumper and has goal line duties, yes.  So he's essentially like Jordan Howard?  I won't touch somebody that high in a PPR format.  Standard, perhaps.  Maybe he has finally had the lightbulb go off and can show some consistency.  But you're putting a lot of trust in the continued growth of Mariota and the offense, not to mention having to deal with Dion Lewis, if you are going to draft him that high.

27 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I've been saying the same thing about Kenyan drake. Just give him the damn ball!

Even if it is just his usage that's the problem, it's still a huge problem

It certainly was his primary problem, at least in my opinion. I mean 110 carries as a rookie and 176 carries last year is not really a large enough sample size to make definitive statements for a back with Derrick Henry's playing style. 

Whether it will remain his problem is the question, and the trend is towards it being less of a problem, or perhaps not a problem at all. 

Not sure why we need to keep bringing other players (Carson, Drake) into the conversation here. 

• Like 1

Henry 2019 thread is gonna be one of the best on the forums.

Can't wait !  I actually might draft him this season JUST to be an official member of this collective. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

It certainly was his primary problem, at least in my opinion. I mean 110 carries as a rookie and 176 carries last year is not really a large enough sample size to make definitive statements for a back with Derrick Henry's playing style. 

Whether it will remain his problem is the question, and the trend is towards it being less of a problem, or perhaps not a problem at all. 

Not sure why we need to keep bringing other players (Carson, Drake) into the conversation here. 

I just used drake as a comparison. A player that needs more touches. 

Players are brought up allll the time in other threads as well.

Too soon to predict: where does Henry land 12 team ppr in snake? My guess is somewhere in the 3rd

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Yeah, Henry was playing as a change of pace back to the ghost of Demarco Murray and with the worst OC in football and he still managed to finish 46th?

I didn't know that. Pretty impressive though. I did find it Interesting that Henrys first year as a starter come fantasy playoff time he was the #1 over RB during that stretch. Very good work indeed.

Carson is a pretty good RB in his own right. I am not as familiar with Carson's stats as I am with Henrys but if we take out Henrys best game of 230 yards and 4 TDs then we should take away Carson's best game too, which was 116 and 2 TDs.

Carson also had 5 games with 20 carries or more and Henry only had 2, Henry getting much less opportunity than Carson. Carson had 35 more carries spread across the season than Henry. At Henrys pace that would be 2 full more games worth or carries and Henry had 3 more total TDs than Carson.

I like Carson, he runs hard and gets good yards after contact but he isn't explosive like Henry is and in 2018 all he had more than Henry was consistent useage for most the season.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

See, it's not that people don't like Henry. In fact, I highly enjoy watching the guy play and the Jaguars game was extremely fun to watch. The reason his threads turn into absolute s--- shows is because of takes like this. 

We are all entitled to our opinions. That is what I think. 

I'm glad you like watching Henry play, I really enjoy it too and if his useage from the fantasy playoffs carries over into 2019 well then he very well could be elite. If they started passing to him even a little bit that could raise his floor. If they brought in a competent QB to play with him his game could be elevated. All options are on the table and with the way he ended 2019 it is not far fetched to see Henry going in the last first or 2nd round. I don't think Vrabel and LaFleur will make the same early season mistakes they made last year.

I'd love to hear your opinion if it is something different.

12 minutes ago, CooL said:

I've seen him as a top 25-30 option for next year.  In PPR, with only 12 receptions, that's just too high for my liking.  He's the thumper and has goal line duties, yes.  So he's essentially like Jordan Howard?  I won't touch somebody that high in a PPR format.  Standard, perhaps.  Maybe he has finally had the lightbulb go off and can show some consistency.  But you're putting a lot of trust in the continued growth of Mariota and the offense, not to mention having to deal with Dion Lewis, if you are going to draft him that high.

in ppr you draft him as a  flex player  and you are praying that the coaches actually getting him the ball like they did end of season

When you think about it,  Alex Collins was pushed up hard to the 3rd round last season by his truthers and it was assumed he would get no passing work so there should be no reason that DH doesnt get taken in the same round if the blogs pump him up

Posted (edited)

Luckily, this time around we'll know the Lewis handcuff isn't such a priority. ...just fill the rest of your RB core elsewhere.

*happy to have him rostered in Dynasty, but in re-draft I'm not sure where he should be slotted.

Edited by FollowTheLeader

8 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Luckily, this time around we'll know the Lewis handcuff isn't such a priority. ...just fill the rest of your RB core elsewhere.

*happy to have him rostered in Dynasty, but in re-draft I'm not sure where he should be slotted.

He’s probably a very high end RB2 in terms of draft position.  Somewhere picked 13-20 but likely on the higher end of that scale closer to RB1.  For a fantasy team to have him as an RB2, it could be a real nice payoff if he suddenly spikes in usage/touches.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1