DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2019 Outlook

5 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

You listed 3 guys not 2.

It's ok to be wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out I was mistaken.

😉

It sucks im gonna have to be in this thread all year. Cleats has me rethinking draft strategy. LOL. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

It sucks im gonna have to be in this thread all year. Cleats has me rethinking draft strategy. LOL. 

Image result for alarm alert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This guys floor is so low I need to see him put it together over a consistent full season, just some fantasy playoff run is not enough for me, given all the duds put up in the past.

im more than ok with swinging and missing on this one, again, the floor is way too low for my tastes

6 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

This guys floor is so low I need to see him put it together over a consistent full season, just some fantasy playoff run is not enough for me, given all the duds put up in the past.

im more than ok with swinging and missing on this one, again, the floor is way too low for my tastes

Hmm. I think he has a pretty high floor. I'd imagine they will be feeding him a lot after last years run.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Hmm. I think he has a pretty high floor. I'd imagine they will be feeding him a lot after last years run.

Note that last year it wasn't really about feeding. It was his attitude that changed, apparently after talking to Eddie George.

If we get new Henry, I'm in. That was mind-blowing. Old Henry... That was mostly blowing.

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Note that last year it wasn't really about feeding. 

Look at his game log.

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

Look at his game log.

Because he didnt have over 20 carries he wasnt fed? 18 is pretty full too.

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Look at his game log.

https://www.titansonline.com/news/tough-love-eddie-george-lit-a-fire-under-titans-rb-derrick-henry-and-he-s-been-a

“He shot me straight, and told me I needed to finish runs, that I needed to be more physical, and make the defense pay. He told me I wasn’t playing to my potential, and I could play better. That’s the stuff I needed to hear. It gave me a different outlook moving forward.”

The conversation took place after the team’s game vs. the Chargers, which preceded the bye week, when Henry was averaging just 3.3 yards per carry. In the first seven weeks of the season, Henry had just 273 yards and one touchdown on 84 carries.

Since, Henry has exploded. He's averaged 6.5 yards per carry while racking up 609 yards and nine touchdowns on 94 carries in the seven games since the bye. Henry now has 882 yards and 11 touchdowns on the season, and he’s racked up a franchise-record 408 yards in the past two games.

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

If we get new Henry, I'm in. That was mind-blowing. Old Henry... That was mostly blowing.

i'd like to think that henry and the titans have leveled-up, and there is no going back: henry 2.0 is the back we see in 2019. i hope i'm not being naive in this take, but the signs (the stars? the bones?) point towards growth. really, my only hesitation is an inflated ADP: i love the 3rd round value, but things get murky when henry enters the round 2 discussion.

https://clutchpoints.com/can-derrick-henry-rise-to-stardom-in-2019-with-the-titans/

although this article notes how the additions of humphries and aj brown balance the passing attack, that passing attack has me daydreaming about the openness of field for henry: we’ve seen that if henry makes it beyond the linebackers, the DBs cannot bring him down. i like the odds for some great breakaway runs from henry this season. for leagues with bonus points for longer runs, yum. the article also highlights the promotion of arthur smith from TE coach to offensive coordinator, a guy who supports the henry-grounded offense, and a guy henry is excited to work under.

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-plan-to-ride-rb-derrick-henry-from-the-start-in-2019 this article supports the previous one regarding arthur smith and adds praise from the gm and owner. i don’t see it as puff; i read it as excitement from up top. and the coaching staff is excited to “start” with henry as the centerpiece, so really it comes down to what we see in september / october (i.e. if the titans are successful using henry early, there is no need to back off).

i know we’ve discussed offensive line variables in this thread and the late-season health improvements last year, but for me it’s dizzying what’s going on, like some kind of shell-game with declining jack conklin’s fifth-year option this month, the acquisition of nate davis in round 3 of the draft, release of josh kline and impending release of quinton spain, addition of rodger saffold, questions about who we’ll see at guard or at tackle, questions about how many new faces appear for 2019. just when i think i know where the ball is, which shell it's under, everything moves. i’ll leave @DerrickHenrysCleats to figure all of this out and clarify the picture for us. for me, it comes down to one thing, marcus mariota. maybe two things: if mariota bites early, and the henry attack isn’t working as well as planned because of stacked boxes, do the titans continue to center on henry but with a new QB, a QB who's more of a threat? the lowdown is this: if mariota (or tannehill) becomes just a little more competent, just a little better with shiny new weapons and a returning dwalker, defenses will be challenged to deal with the derrick henry locomotive and we’ll see the freight train we saw late last season. to me, it’s the QB that will determine henry’s success more than the o-line, but of course everything is connected.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

to me, it’s the QB that will determine henry’s success more than the o-line, but of course everything is connected.

I agree with most things you said, but in my mind, O-line is one of the most defining aspects for any team. A good QB behind a bad O-line will struggle. A bad QB behind a good O-line can suddenly become competent, and of course it also affects the running game.

Anyway, that's all aside.

I am hard-wired to not believe the hype. I don't have more information, it's just that as soon as the hype-train gets rolling, I get off.

8 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

my only hesitation is an inflated ADP: i love the 3rd round value, but things get murky when henry enters the round 2 discussion.

^this. Very much.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

He has more game scored in the single digits than double digits in fantasy, pretty damn low of a floor if you ask me

35 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

He has more game scored in the single digits than double digits in fantasy, pretty damn low of a floor if you ask me

100% true, but i think the momentum/dialogue here is, derrick henry 2.0 is not the same as 1.0: the titans have realized that the guy they drafted at pick 45 in 2016 is actually as talented as they had first thought...

with this in mind, i don't think we can accurately utilize statistics from the old regime, and instead must make projections based on what we have seen on the field last season, are reading / hearing now, combined with coaching reports, training reports, beat writers, etc. (adjusting for inflated variables and coach-speak when necessary). that said, i'm counting on the derrick henry 1.0 single-digit games and burned owners to keep his ADP reasonable. just sayin'

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

https://www.titansonline.com/news/tough-love-eddie-george-lit-a-fire-under-titans-rb-derrick-henry-and-he-s-been-a

“He shot me straight, and told me I needed to finish runs, that I needed to be more physical, and make the defense pay. He told me I wasn’t playing to my potential, and I could play better. That’s the stuff I needed to hear. It gave me a different outlook moving forward.”

The conversation took place after the team’s game vs. the Chargers, which preceded the bye week, when Henry was averaging just 3.3 yards per carry. In the first seven weeks of the season, Henry had just 273 yards and one touchdown on 84 carries.

Since, Henry has exploded. He's averaged 6.5 yards per carry while racking up 609 yards and nine touchdowns on 94 carries in the seven games since the bye. Henry now has 882 yards and 11 touchdowns on the season, and he’s racked up a franchise-record 408 yards in the past two games.

Right. But they still gave him a lot more carries at the end of the year when he was rolling. This is a fact, not my opinion.

1 hour ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

If you are just looking at his whole career, you are playing fantasy wrong.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

If you are just looking at his whole career, you are playing fantasy wrong.

😂😂 prolly need to draft adrian peterson with the first pick if were looking at careers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stonej14 said:

😂😂 prolly need to draft adrian peterson with the first pick if were looking at careers. 

OP is into Gore I think.

28 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

He's on my radar

Last 500 rushing attempts:

Derrick Henry - 2,293 yards and 22 TDs. 4.59 yards per carry

Ezekial Elliot - 2,255 yards and 13 TDs. 4.51

Giddy up

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Giddy up

Wow. Still hard to believe eric Dickerson got 2100 yards on 370 Carries. And barry sanders got 2000 on 330 Carries. Goes to show ya why those guys are hall of famers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Giddy up

Well, yes. Except the only thing is Henry needed 33 games for that and Elliott only 19. In Elliott's last 33 games he scored 3249 yards with 23 TD.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Well, yes. Except the only thing is Henry needed 33 games for that and Elliott only 19. In Elliott's last 33 games he scored 3249 yards with 23 TD.

Kinda of a loaded stat. Similar to the damien Williams points per touch stat for his career. 

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

While you're correct to point that out, and I find it absolutely shocking that DHC skewed his data to support Henry...it's not completely meaningless if you believe Henry is finally in line for a full load for an entire season.  His frame suggests he can handle the load and he's never gone into a season with a more clear bell cow role.  Should be fun to watch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, WEIL3R said:

While you're correct to point that out, and I find it absolutely shocking that DHC skewed his data to support Henry...it's not completely meaningless if you believe Henry is finally in line for a full load for an entire season.  His frame suggests he can handle the load and he's never gone into a season with a more clear bell cow role.  Should be fun to watch.

Lol, the stat is the stat. Sure, it took Elliot less games. Should we ponder for a moment what Henrys #s may have looked like if he was inserted as a starter day 1 and fed the football over 20 times a game like Zeke?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1