DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2019 Outlook

15 hours ago, BMcP said:

Interestingly, Mariota has never started a game without Lewan at LT.  I wonder how he will fare.

Actually, I've got those projections somewhere...oh...found it.

image.png.e2d9fb8fd8faf8a444ebd245253e989a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, BMcP said:

Lots of defenders - and offenders - did well down the stretch from Week 13 on against teams who had thrown in the towel.  You should expect them to have dramatically improved their performance.  The Titans still have a relatively sub-par defense.  If they don’t throw, they won’t stay in games.

This is a really lazy take. Titans were 8th in total defense and 3rd in scoring defense in 2018 and I'd expect them to be better this year with young players like Rashaan Evans, Harold Landry, Adoree Jackson, Jayon Brown a year more experienced and continuity in year 2 with Dean Peas as DC.  

2 hours ago, MayorMcCheese said:

This is a really lazy take. Titans were 8th in total defense and 3rd in scoring defense in 2018 and I'd expect them to be better this year with young players like Rashaan Evans, Harold Landry, Adoree Jackson, Jayon Brown a year more experienced and continuity in year 2 with Dean Peas as DC.  

Yea dean peas runs a pretty complex and untraditional system. The defense should only get better... but now that I said that theyll probably fall apart. 

3 hours ago, MayorMcCheese said:

Lazy or not, it’s a “take” shared by PFF, who ranked the Titans’ pass rush at #22, and project them to be even worse this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/titansized.com/2019/07/19/tennessee-titans-pff-missed-pass-rush/amp/

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BMcP said:

Lazy or not, it’s a “take” shared by PFF, who ranked the Titans’ pass rush at #22, and project them to be even worse this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/titansized.com/2019/07/19/tennessee-titans-pff-missed-pass-rush/amp/

Last comment since we're starting to get off topic, but just because they don't have the best pass rush doesn't mean that the entire defense is "sub-par". Also, that entire article is about how PFF should've ranked their pass rush higher

Edited by MayorMcCheese

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MayorMcCheese said:

Last comment since we're starting to get off topic, but just because they don't have the best pass rush doesn't mean that the entire defense is "sub-par". Also, that entire article is about how PFF should've ranked their pass rush higher

Agreed on not wanting to derail, but that article was written by a Titans homer for a Titans blog who was dissatisfied with PFF’s ranking.  PFF is likely the most respected analytical unit out there.  

I’m sure it’s common knowledge that, when you’re talking about how to slow down elite QBs/offenses, the most important factor is whether you have an effective pass rush.  The Titans haven’t shown one yet.  Maybe Wake (at age 37) gets the job done or Landry taps into his potential, but right now, their defense wouldn’t stand a chance against that caliber of offense, regardless of their secondary or off-ball backers.  Perhaps I should have specified that I was referring particularly to their pass rushers, but I thought I set the context having mentioned the retirement of two of their best for years.  

Edited by BMcP

by RotoWire Staff
(5 mins ago) Coach Mike Vrabel considers Henry "day-to-day" after the running back left Friday's practice with an undisclosed issue, Turron Davenport of ESPN.com reports.

According to John Glennon of The Athletic, Henry stretched prior to the session but only managed one individual drill before his departure. Afterward, Vrabel added that he won't know the nature of the potential injury until he talks with the Titans' training staff. As a result, Henry's health may be clarified in the near future.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Onyx said:

by RotoWire Staff
(5 mins ago) Coach Mike Vrabel considers Henry "day-to-day" after the running back left Friday's practice with an undisclosed issue, Turron Davenport of ESPN.com reports.

According to John Glennon of The Athletic, Henry stretched prior to the session but only managed one individual drill before his departure. Afterward, Vrabel added that he won't know the nature of the potential injury until he talks with the Titans' training staff. As a result, Henry's health may be clarified in the near future.

Uh oh, the dreaded "day to day" diagnosis.  Hopefully something minor and not leg-related like a hamstring but who knows.

Edited by sjm76

Posted (edited)

Uh-oh.

Is Dion Lewis his cuff?

Edited by BMcP

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BMcP said:

Uh-oh.

Is Dion Lewis his cuff?

Yeah, they have pretty much the same height, weight, profile and usage.

giphy.gif

Edited by Boudewijn

12 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Yeah, they have pretty much the same height, weight, profile and usage.

giphy.gif

So you’re saying they just go without an RB if Henry’s hurt?  Cause I’m sure no one has the same height, weight, profile and usage as Derrick Henry.

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

So you’re saying they just go without an RB if Henry’s hurt?  Cause I’m sure no one has the same height, weight, profile and usage as Derrick Henry.

No, of course I was being flippant. Sorry about that.

I'm not a huge fan of the cuffing strategy in general, and my reaction was partially due to that. However, if we consider Henry/Lewis a 1/2 punch, or a 1a/1b back, then yes, if Henry is unavailable obviously they go with Lewis.

However, I think there is one dark horse in Alex Barnes, FA signed this year out of Kansas State. I will have to defer to @DerrickHenrysCleats who knows more about College and who also is quite a fan of Dion Lewis I think, so he may know more here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

No, of course I was being flippant. Sorry about that.

I'm not a huge fan of the cuffing strategy in general, and my reaction was partially due to that. However, if we consider Henry/Lewis a 1/2 punch, or a 1a/1b back, then yes, if Henry is unavailable obviously they go with Lewis.

However, I think there is one dark horse in Alex Barnes, FA signed this year out of Kansas State. I will have to defer to @DerrickHenrysCleats who knows more about College and who also is quite a fan of Dion Lewis I think, so he may know more here.

No worries.  DHC did respond to this question by posting a highlight reel of Barnes - I’m not sure if he has more to add on the situation, though.  I feel like it’s one of the very very few questions that hasn’t been discussed ad infinitum yet.

• Like 1

Just now, BMcP said:

No worries.  DHC did respond to this question by posting a highlight reel of Barnes - I’m not sure if he has more to add on the situation, though.  I feel like it’s one of the very very few questions that hasn’t been discussed ad infinitum yet.

Yes he did. I look like an absolute plonker again, time to log off for today :)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Yes he did. I look like an absolute plonker again, time to log off for today :)

What in the world is a plonker?

I'm much more familiar with SEC football. I didn't see much of Barnes in college but since he has a direct path to touches behind Henry I watched his highlights videos. He reminds me of Mark Ingram. A little stiff in the hips, not the most wiggle but he does a great job of following his assignment on the designed run, he has a nice jump cut to avoid tacklers and finishes his runs well. 

If Derrick missed games (God help me) Lewis would get some more touches but Barnes would be next man up in a run heavy offense so that merits looking into.

17 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

35 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I'm much more familiar with SEC football. I didn't see much of Barnes in college but since he has a direct path to touches behind Henry I watched his highlights videos. He reminds me of Mark Ingram. A little stiff in the hips, not the most wiggle but he does a great job of following his assignment on the designed run, he has a nice jump cut to avoid tacklers and 

I was thinking he looked alot like a college James Conner. Big, strong, runs thru contact and can make the occasional guy miss but looks a little stiff and obviously isnt a speed demon. Hands looked alright as well

2 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Someone should do a wellness check on @DerrickHenrysCleats

Time to change the old username to “DerrickHenrysBoot.”

• Haha 7

21 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Cleats already talked to D henry

strictly preventative.

^ This

Proceed to draft late 1st round where applicable.

• Like 1